ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Monaro VXR

clio 182 trophy
Yes. 290bhp MK1 QS. These things weigh the best part of 1800kg's remember.
They are still around 230bhp per tonne. 1658kg to be exact. The tt being around 160bhp per tonne (in standard form). Miles apart. The stock tt is no quicker than the clio.

Monaro VXR
The Monaro isn't exactly a light car it's 1700kg.

I just googled the MK1 QS as 1800KG seems mental for a TT. Apparently the MK1 QS is 1390kg, which at 290hp would make it a pretty quick car to be honest. I can see it beating a CV8 Monaro. If it's a VXR an still losing though, the guy needs to learn to drive it properly.

Running costs insurance etc. The Monaro isn't nearly as bad as many seem to think it will be. I mean the complete set of front and rear disks for the AP's are £800. Standard are around £400-£500. Servicing the big one is around £400. Normal is £120 or so.

Insurance my Manchester postcode screws that up massively but it's cheaper than my old Citroen C4 to insure.

Fuel real world, 18-22mpg average, 8-15 in rush hour traffic. An long motorway cruise 32-38. So similar to say a WRX STI or something like that in reality. They are what I have seen it at anyway.

They are still around 230bhp per tonne. 1658kg to be exact. The tt being around 160bhp per tonne (in standard form). Miles apart. The stock tt is no quicker than the clio.
Honestly mate, lets stop ruining his thread. A QS is very much quicker than a Clio. 5.9 to 60 even as standard? 155mph? I made a comment on an a personal experience. (Which I wish I didn't) I'm a 30 year old man. Not a little boy who wants to make up stories.
Now, stop. Lets pay homage to the V8.

Monaro VXR
Cheers Cookson,

Hopefully I get it back today, if not will be tomorrow. Dropped it off yesterday at K&M Acoustics in Wigan. Then proceeded to make my way back home va public transport. Cost more than taking the bloody V8. An they wonder why people won't use it.

Know it's not for everyone but I love my music. An I had all these expensive speakers and amps lying around from previous cars. So just thought why not. So it should have a pair of 8" mid bass and a pair of 6.5" components in the front. All JL ZR stuff, ran off HD600/4 amps. With a 12W7 an a HD 750/1 in the boot. Not going for a mad show car build, just a simple functional and easily removable setup.

Unfortunately my shiny new headers won't be here until mid / late January now. Found out this morning. Lazy Aussie's decided not to ship them out. An have since closed up for Christmas. Now trying to decide if I should order a pair of 3.5" cut outs to mount just after headers but before the cats. Can't quite decide, plus open headers can sound a bit harsh. Very loud, but not the nicest tone.

Listerine & Poledo
Anything that can help it sound like like Tanders' company car would be a good move.
Also, slapping a Holden Lion up the sides would be full of all the flavours of win.
(I know this is a Commodore, not a Monaro, but same idea) ;)
317033-garth-tander-holden-racing-team-.jpg

Also, hero.

Finally. Nose dragging TT's are for girls and bloody pommes, mayte ;)

clio 182 trophy
Honestly mate, lets stop ruining his thread. A QS is very much quicker than a Clio. 5.9 to 60 even as standard? 155mph? I made a comment on an a personal experience. (Which I wish I didn't) I'm a 30 year old man. Not a little boy who wants to make up stories.
Now, stop. Lets pay homage to the V8.
How am I ruining his thread exactly? If anything I was backing him up over your post of them 'not being that quick'. But yeah if i have offended I apologise as it was just a little disagreement. I love both cars for what they are.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Because you don't buy a v8 Monaro VXR to drive like you stole it or for 0-60 times. You buy it to have a bonkers engine and the sound when you floor it.

Who cares if its faster or slower than a French tin can or a German coupe with a blower

I will have one hopefully when I sort out my new garage at home. Got to say OP you have the ideal colour/engine VXR combo

Monaro VXR
So little update,

Brakes are finally being fitted this Wednesday. Given up even thinking about fitting them myself with the snow and rain. So going into a shop.

So AP's, braided lines etc being done. Also getting some more suspension bushes done. An I will be doing the trip to London on Sunday to the Ace cafe for Australia day....Mainly as I am picking up my shiny new exhausts. Which are 1 and 7/8" primaries 4-1 longtubes into a 3.5" collector and ceramic coated.

Which are somewhere in this box from the group buy.

th_exhaustbox1.jpg

th_Exhaustbox2.jpg

Snow shapes.

th_91974CF8-5064-46AB-9BF7-814DA83630DA-1.jpg

An because I'm not a sissy (I didn't take the photo). It was entertaining in the snow and ice anyway. As it's still on Pilot Super Sports, my friend was shall we say...Bricking it.

th_E7852F4A-67AA-497F-BB7F-ABDFF788E1D7.jpg

Monaro VXR
I literally drove past you going the opposite way a few days ago. By that bridge and the Mercedez dealer ship. Around 11:30 ish.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
My old man has the same model. He says there were only 55 VXR's in this guise brought into the UK.

Monaro VXR
Close, there were 62 2004 VXR's brought in.
21 in red, 21 in silver and 20 in black.

Mine being number 40.

There is a breakdown of every model and colour on the HSV forum. Total of 800 Monaro's came to the UK.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Lad I know has a Monaro. He had it for 4 years sat in his garage until he could insure it, just taking it out of the garage and running it up now and again. Epic cars.

It's not hugely fast but then that's not really the point. Technically speaking sideways isn't the fastest way to go around a corner, but it's the fun way, and that's exactly what the Monaro is - the fun way.

Monaro VXR
@wozzaa got any links to this ace cafe meet?

It's on the Ace Cafe website, 9am on Sunday the 25th Jan. Think so far on the HSV forum there are about 30 cars signed up to attend. The thread is basically just an ever growing list at the moment with few actual posts. Believe some convoy points are starting to be posted in other threads. However just checked an they only have a couple of replies. With no one definitely agreeing to anything yet.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ok I'll check it out. I'll see if myste wants to take his. If he does, me and my boy will tag along. :)

Monaro VXR
If you end up going, pop over an say hey.

I'm rather easy to spot, the morbidly obese (working on it) 30 something with a beard. You literally cannot miss me.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you end up going, pop over an say hey.

I'm rather easy to spot, the morbidly obese (working on it) 30 something with a beard. You literally cannot miss me.
We'll be in a grey 5.7, I'll be the bald bloke telling off the 7 year old for trying to get in other people's cars! Lol

Monaro VXR
Out with the old.

Fronts
th_92C59158-7C8A-4804-8DBD-37CC3FA51F62.jpg

Rears
th_65989259-6B96-42E3-8C37-70C839095BF7.jpg

And in with the new.

Fronts
th_B2FA4D23-1DDD-4DDD-B8B6-D3C6FEE649EE.jpg

Rears
th_5CA2C007-DCB4-4231-A1E3-8111CCD8ADD2.jpg

330mm 2 pots and 315mm 2 pots, to 362mm 6 pots and 343mm 4 pots.

Wheels are badly in need of a refurb, just have not decided what colour to do them in. Same as they are now, anthracite or black are the current options. It can wait until winter is over though. Car needs to go into the bodyshop for some bits anyway. So can wait until my wallet has recovered a bit. Had nearly £4,000 spent on it in the last few months.

Monaro VXR
So not updated this in a while. Thought I would come back on and do a small update.

To cut long story short. Had to leave uni due to student finance being dicks. Unemployed for ages. Met new misses, nearly sold the Monaro. Misses said no to selling it. Basically she loves the thing, so I am not allowed to sell it.

Couple months later new job and here I am now. Rounding out the training for the last bit of this job and then I am being put into management. So yay payrise and more hours! :D

So the car has been relatively unused for last few months, I simply didn't have the money to run it properly.

So it'll be getting a service soon, an then I need to save a bit as come April it's MOT is due an I am pretty much positive the suspension is going to need sorting soon. So right now these are on my ASAP shopping list. Along with the rest of the polybushes I do not currently have.

http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk/coilover-kit-supercar-pedders-monaro-models_p23024092.htm
http://www.monkfishperformance.co.u...-and-rear-pedders-monaro-models_p23024177.htm

Car as it stands now though. (That's 16.9 litres of displacement in this one photo alone! :D)

11149507_743514619079199_3461156170109655938_n.jpg

Parked up the other night next to this. Makes the Monaro look quite big, I mean it is 5 series size essentially

12187937_10153228945461814_8382324491217075893_n.jpg

Sell me your 197
If you really want to Australian-isise it, grab a set of Simmons FR19's with polished centres.

Monaro VXR
I saw you in Bury not so long ago. The reg always makes me smile!

Reg does tend to get reactions. From the odd smile, to just being called a wanker.

If you really want to Australian-isise it, grab a set of Simmons FR19's with polished centres.

I'll pass on those. Not a fan, they are actually quite hard to get decent wheels for. I want something cool in a 19" in a 9.5 or 10j width an ET45. For daily use. An a 17x10 for the rears for a set of drag tyres.

I have seen some wheels I like but were talking £3,000+ An well there are more important things to spend that on first..... Like heads and a cam.

Sell me your 197
Simmons come in whatever width and offset you want...

I had 3 series wheels on my VT SS for a while. Might broaden the choices....