ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Clio

al

ST on the way...
WOW!! That's a hell of a difference mate!! Nice one!!

Just be careful when your squirting the hosepipe inside the front arches, 1.6's don't like it for some reason!!

2004 Clio 182
UPDATE

Hello again, the new gear stick knob and pedals should be here on money so i can get them fitted.

Im going to go to a breakers tomorrow to see if i can find a pair of alloy inside door handles.

I rang up itg today to see if they did a panel filter for the 1.6 Clio and ended up having a 40min convo with a very nice chap there who gave me a lot of info on air filters etc. They dont make the filter for the 1.6 at the moment but they could make a handmade one for about £60. All i need to do is get hold of a 6 point screwdriver, take my current airbox apart, measure the current pannel filter and email him the dimensions.

1) Do you think its worth bothering with all that or i could just get an off the shelf green cotton one for £33 that would be designed to fit the 1.6?

2) doesnt anyone have a link to where i can get a set of clear Renault indicator from?
(i heard that sometimes other brands dont fit very well)

3) do i need to get new bulbs to go with them or are my current bulbs going to look right?

the next job is going to be getting it lowered, then some new wheels and paint the calipers (is this the right order to do it in?).

few questions remembering, remember that im still a total novice please;

4) if i want to lower it and improve the ride do i just want to buy new springs or should i get the strings and the absorbers?

5) i want to lower it 40mm, what kit do you recomend?
(i have read that the apex are popular but the ride is a bit to harsh, and i dont need ones where i can vary the amount they are lowered as 40mm will be fine)

6) Is lowering it the sort of thing that i am going to be able to do or do i need to take it to a shop to get it done?
(i am handy with a spanner as long as i have instructions in front of me)

2004 Clio 182
My new pedals and gear stick knob came today which made me happy.

Fitting the gear stick knob was no where near as hard as what everyone had said. I went for the hacksaw methord and it took a total of 15 minutes but still used quite a few different tools.

If anyone wants more info on how i did it the ask away.

It does infact say "MOMO Italy" in the recess on top but you cant see it cause of the flash

The pedals took a lot longer to mask-up, mark out, drill and fit. The break and clutch take along time because it takes ages to drill through the stel plates. whereas the accelerator takes 5 seconds to drill cause its a plastic plate but much longer to mark out as you need to miss the steel rod behind the plate.

I needed to test them out :D so i took a quick trip to B&Q to get a set to TROX 6point screw drivers which i will need for other stuff.

what do you think?

plus if anyone has any answers to my above post about lowering i would be very greatful.

Dave

2004 Clio 182
i went ahead and ordered the Green cotton replacement pannel filter. Dont think its really gonna make much of a difference but its another mod to add to the list.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Dave

You've made a fantastic job of cleaning yr car up.

I had a Momo [made in Italy] knob in my Accord Type R. They rule!

FOR THE TYRES.........

try Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing.

I use it on the Clio 172 all the time and it always gets a remark wherever i go.

Spray it on all over.....it might go on like milk, but just leave it...........

5 mins later come back and it will be gleaming.

Keeps tyres looking black too.

Hope this helps you mate..............doin a great job, 10/10

James

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
If you mean clear side repeaters, I got mine from Halfords, cost me £10 and they came with the bulbs.

On the question of lowering; I had some very good advice from theduckeatspork, he also has a 1.6, he recomended Eibach Pro's> He said I could just get srpings and then maybe Koni or Eiback shocks later, but I went and got the whole lot in one go. The kit cost me just over £500. I haven't got the link at hand right now, but when I get it I'll PM you with it. I see you want to lower it 40mm, the Eibachs will apparantly take her down to 30mm, so if you want to go lower maybe look at some Koni's? You could aslo consider a Coilover kit, although I am personally not a fan of these, but alot of other Clio owners recomend them.
You can indeed fit a suspension kit yourself, especially if you go for something like the Eibachs which are a basic straight swap. I'm taking mine to my friendly local garage to have mine done though. I can;t be arsed with the hastle.

I like those pedals, they look really good. I quite like your gear knob too.The car is definitely looking good.

I'm a newbie to all the modding lark too, so any info and recomendations I recieve I will pass them onto you.

Good luck, she's looking good. :D

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Another point I should have mentioned about the Eibachs. I said in my post that I didn't really want the suspension to get much stiffer, if at all, and that is why the Eibachs were recomended as apparently they will keep the ride very much as it is already.

When I get them fitted I will let you know how they feel. ;) :D

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Lumox said:
oh look it's standard :quiet:

:eek: Of course the car is 'standard' he has only just got it! Have you not read the thread properly? Give the guy a chance, besides, if he had decided to keep it 'bog standard' what is wrong with that??

2004 Clio 182
JMR Monaco172, thanks a lot for your comments, i was planning on getting the handles from ebay but then someone told me that you could get them from a breakers for much cheaper and that also saves on the waiting for postage. So thats going to be my little job for the day.

DynamiqueDebz, i agree with you about the lowering, i dont want a harsh ride either which means apex isnt a great idea. without coilovers it seems like the only options is -30mm or -60mm and by the time you have paid for the Eibach springs and KONI dampeners your almost into coilover money anyway just with the addition of having to pay to get them lazer lined up.

Neil G. cheers mate

Lumox, :eek:

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Kiev85 said:
made you's look.....

Very nice....youd better get the polish out....btw...melted wheel?? very weird...was the last owner a smoker..?

First of all, your an ass =p

Secondly. My wheel is EXACTLY the same. Not a smoker. I think its the way the steering wheel is held. I find myself having to PULL my hand off because I have been griping it so tightly, leaving black crap all over my hand. Dunno why I do this.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I paid £508.40 for a complete supsension kit for my car from Eibach. (springs and dampers). It does appear that some Coilover kits are not ideal if you intend to to use your car for mainly road use, as they can give you abit of a harsh stiff ride. I was dead against Coilovers right from the start being as I have no intentions of altering the ride height once set, so I thought they would be pretty useless to me, not to mention a costly option if I didn't intend to use them to their full potential.

I have been advised to let my suspension settle for 2-6 weeks (depending on how much I drive it) before I get a full geometry check and laser alignment, so as these guys know what they are doing I will do just that.

I am sure if you went to the 'technical' forums for suspension, you will recive some top notch advice on what is available, at what cost, and for the purpose you require. They are a good bunch here and pretty much know their stuff.

Your car is definitely looking gooooood, I look forward to seeing more pics as you go along.

Good luck with your suspenison hunting. :D

JMR

RB 182 Cup
SoA2k6 said:
First of all, your an ass =p

Secondly. My wheel is EXACTLY the same. Not a smoker. I think its the way the steering wheel is held. I find myself having to PULL my hand off because I have been griping it so tightly, leaving black crap all over my hand. Dunno why I do this.
My wheel was just the same [melted]

Looked like a Salvador Dali interior!!!!!

Very sticky too but only on the right hand side. Took it to Renault before 3yr warranty ran out and they replaced it. I thought previous owner had messed it up and cleaned it with something too harsh. Since buying have found that this is a common problem with clio steering wheels.

Would have cost £ 424 otherwise.....yikes!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I appear to be pretty lucky with my steering wheel at the moment (keeping fingers crossed) as mine still appears to be as good as new, apart from one tiny scratch right in the middle of the wheel, due to catching my long nails on it. lol

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
:eek: JMR: I just noticed the bit at the bottom of your post about the cost of replacing the wheel. £424? Bloody hell!! I sure hope mine stays the way it is for a good while yet then. Jeeeeeeees!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
DynamiqueDebz said:
:eek: JMR: I just noticed the bit at the bottom of your post about the cost of replacing the wheel. £424? Bloody hell!! I sure hope mine stays the way it is for a good while yet then. Jeeeeeeees!

mmm....

£ 280 + VAT for the wheel alone from Renault.....then fitting at £ 60/hr

O U C H !

2004 Clio 182
Phones up my local reno dealer this morning to order a 172/182 front grill. the man say "yes we can get them in within 2 days and cost £189... oh wait they have just come down to £42" thats a crazy drop in price and they must still be making profit on them at £42. I also ordered in a 2 clear side repeaters which were £14 for 2. was expecting both of the items to be more expensive than that.

clean your matss...........

or get black ones that dont show up the dirt as easily...

i hate when my mats are dirty...

BMW M135i
boyce said:
Phones up my local reno dealer this morning to order a 172/182 front grill. the man say "yes we can get them in within 2 days and cost £189... oh wait they have just come down to £42" thats a crazy drop in price and they must still be making profit on them at £42. I also ordered in a 2 clear side repeaters which were £14 for 2. was expecting both of the items to be more expensive than that.
Car looks good, wish I still had climate :dapprove: would've been nice to have the alarm too but not to worry.

The RS front grill makes the front end look so much better, I would also recommend you getting it colour coded its a massive improvement on the look of the whole car.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149807 <--- Mine (In need of some spare 1.6 badges)

al

ST on the way...
bmh.01 said:
Car looks good, wish I still had climate :dapprove: would've been nice to have the alarm too but not to worry.

The RS front grill makes the front end look so much better, I would also recommend you getting it colour coded its a massive improvement on the look of the whole car.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149807 <--- Mine (In need of some spare 1.6 badges)
I've got the climate but no alarm either!

Might have some spare 1.6 badges, just gotta wait and see if my new ones fall off...........i'll keep u posted tho.

BTW.....mine :D vvvv

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130055

1.9 Diesel RT
Looking good matey.

Whereabouts in Nottingham are ya?!

I used to know someone who had an experimental way of trying to get the mark out of the steering wheel...if you still wanting to try and sort it I'll try and get hold of my contact.

Nice first car though matey, you've done well! Enjoy,

Hayley

BMW M135i
al said:
I've got the climate but no alarm either!

Might have some spare 1.6 badges, just gotta wait and see if my new ones fall off...........i'll keep u posted tho.
Let me know if there going i'll have them off you, have almost given up finding any on ebay or elsewhere.

Would be nice to find someone breaking a mk2 with climate as i'd have the bits off and convert mine, would be a 1 in a million to find one though methinks.

2004 Clio 182
Kiev85 said:
clean your matss...........

or get black ones that dont show up the dirt as easily...

i hate when my mats are dirty...

if you had read the whole thread rather than just loking at the pictures you would have seen that on about day 2 of owning the car i ordered a full set of black mats from Justmatz just waiting for them to get here.

as i said before i am updating the thread as i update the car so everyone can exactly what i have done and how it is progressing.

Monaco Blue Mk2
It's looking good mate. Getting better. Will be smart with the Grill and the justmatz, I've got some and they are top notch. I agree with the comment to colour code, it'll improve the look greatly.

suspension wise, if your looking for around a 40mm drop Apex will be fine, not really any difference from standard ride, that came from the mouth of Maz who is VERY picky over things like that!
If you really don't want Apex springs though Eibach Sportline springs will give you arounf a 40mm drop. The beauty of only going 40mm is that you can just leave the standard shock absorbers on and not have to pay out for an expensive kit.
If your not too sure on fitting I'd get someone else to do it for you preferably but if there's no one you know or no one on here that could do it for you then get it done at a garage, shouldn't cost too much.
IMO if I wanted to go lower/needed to buy springs and shocks I'd get coilovers. If you look at the money Debz spent on shocks and springs, you could get FK konigsport Coilovers, these allow you to chose your exact ride height and also have adjustable dampers so you can chose how firm, or not you want the ride. The recent groupbuy for FK Coilovers is in the Car Parts for sale section on this forum. I'm sure they got the konigsports for £500 - top price for great suspension.

2004 Clio 182
UPDATE

ordered 2 pairs of Philips Silver Vision PY21W;
174.jpg

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=104&strPageHistory=cat

which come with a free set of Philips Blue Vision W5W;
173.jpg

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=80&strPageHistory=cat

and a pair of 501 Chrome side repeater bulbs;
fa_1_b.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvatec-Style-Chrome-Side-Repeater-501-Bulbs-NEW_W0QQitemZ180000430754QQihZ008QQcategoryZ72233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
to go with the clear repeaters

ive just realised that they are only "Silvatec style" i sopose they are only repeaters so quality should really matter... so long as they still flash orange and not green. lol

Last edited:
  clio Dymanic 1.2 16v mk3
hiya all clio veterans
im new to forums LOL

just asking if anyone know how much power you can make a 1.2 16v lump take ( MAX BHP)

2004 Clio 182
Thanks for the reply about lowering! BLUE YOUR MY BOY!! /old school

racing_clio_55 said:
hiya all clio veterans
im new to forums LOL

just asking if anyone know how much power you can make a 1.2 16v lump take ( MAX BHP)
:S I think you would be better off doing a search or starting a new thread

Last edited:
boyce said:
if you had read the whole thread rather than just loking at the pictures you would have seen that on about day 2 of owning the car i ordered a full set of black mats from Justmatz just waiting for them to get here.

as i said before i am updating the thread as i update the car so everyone can exactly what i have done and how it is progressing.

Calm down...

Looks like i will be ignoring this thread in future...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
coming a long nicely, gear knob and pedals are nice, although i prefer the more standard look inside, but still good work!

to be honest id only lower your car 60mm or more, anything less and it doesnt look much lower unless you park beside another clio and even at that its not a great deal lower. some people ask me if im going to lower my car and some people say WOW Thats decked, just depends on the angle lol!

keep it simple, apex -60mm suspension kit, colour code it, pannel filter, and id get some 15" dynamique wheels (not sure what wheels they are you have?!)

2004 Clio 182
busy day yesterday, got 172/182 grill fitted, SilverVision indicater bulbs fitted front and rear, Blue Vision sidelights fitted and clear side repeaters.

Before

After

back lights were very easy to fit. it was a 30 second job and makes the back look a lot cleaner.

Before

After

Front ones and the side lights were a bit more fidderly but skinny hands made "light" work of the job. :approve:

Before

After

In the process of fitting the repeaters i found out that my front drivers side is missing the inside wheel arch over. The back bit of plastic that stops mud and dirt getting up inside the arch. Do i need to get a new one of there sorted or is it going to be fine how it is? where would be the best place to get a new one from?
This made fitting the drivers side repeater very easy as i could just put my hand up inside and push it from the back. the other side gave me a lot of problems. i think it was partly because i was worried about putting to much force into it. in the end i conquered the small bit of plastic with 2 credit cards.
The repeaters currently just have the standard clear bulbs as my orange ones haven't arrived yet. Just means the battle between me and repeater number 2 isnt over yet! :clown:

Before
img12818bz.jpg

After

Once i had printed the guide off from here it ended up being easier to get the old one off then it was to get the new one on. lol
The clips for the air scoop on the 182 bumper were about an extra 10mm apart than on the old one which ment to get it back on there was quite a bit of force on the clips (on the scoop) the they started to go a little while from being stretched. I wanted to make sure i got them all on tho as otherwise the scoop would rattle about.

The new one didnt have a hole cut for the bonet alarm springy button thingy so i just removed the button. Do i need to get a hole drilled for it and get it fitted again? is it going to mess up my alarm system now it is disconnected?

Civic Type-R
Cars looking really nice. Im liking the progress thread :) Subtle is deffo the way to go! What other plans have you got for it?

2004 Clio 182
RacerStu said:
Cars looking really nice. Im liking the progress thread :) Subtle is deffo the way to go! What other plans have you got for it?

main;
Lowered
New wheels
colour coded
making it go faster
and maybe rocara seats
cup spoiler

small;
alloy inside door handles
im thinking about spraying the top part of the center console (the bit section that goes around the pen tray) silver to match the strips over the glove box
172/182 steering wheel
paint the calipers
new headunit
new component speakers