ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new Coilovers

Mk2 172
The springs on mine are not fully decided yet as im still testing them but i think at the mo they are 250 or 230 on front and 250 on rear. Mine are different to other clios on the rear because of the different position of the spring! He told me that 700lb on the rear is way way to much!!! no matter where the spring was put! he said its not right. Yes you can specify the spring rates you like when you buy them and im sure you will beable to buy the rears separately. not quite sure why but whatever!

The springs on mine are not fully decided yet as im still testing them but i think at the mo they are 250 or 230 on front and 250 on rear. Mine are different to other clios on the rear because of the different position of the spring! He told me that 700lb on the rear is way way to much!!! no matter where the spring was put! he said its not right. Yes you can specify the spring rates you like when you buy them and im sure you will beable to buy the rears separately. not quite sure why but whatever!

Whats your cars ride height set to on the rear?

Mk2 172
so for the most important question, how much are they?

If you had read the original thread properly! you would have seen that there was not definate price decided as of yet but will be very similar to the H&R's but will have adjustment which is ideal for the track etc etc.
I am more than happy to take out anyone in the car and im happy for them to drive it. Im extremely pleased with it so far. the ride is spot on on the public road. i will take anyone out at cadwell too if anyones goin :) :)

Mk2 172

Whats your cars ride height set to on the rear?

Ive no idea to be honest as i wasnt there when they did them. Its not too low as he didnt want it to look like a boyracer but to me more purposeful rather than looks. it approximately 45mm lower i suppose but i can find out tommorrow if you like. The car was also CORNER weighted when they were fitted :)

Mk2 172
Ill post a few pics tommorow of what the car looks like now. Looks so much better. Its on my track wheels at the mo which re 15's so may look a tad lower when i put the 16's back on for the road.

Mk2 172
Most front coilovers have approximately 30mm of travel till they hit the bumpstop. They are sending another set of casings for my car so it will allow me to have 50mm of travel till the bumpstop. Curtis at powerstation prefers to have a bit more travel available as he prfeers them not to hit the bumpstop if you hit something harsh etc

these do look really good, reason id want to buy the rears on there own is because i have leda's for the front, I did ask LEDA if they could make units like you have had made but they didnt think it would work well.
As already said it was believed that the race cars had a stronger mounting area at the rear than the road car.

Mk2 172
Looking good Dan, I would also be interested in the rear units.

Is that a 5" 200lb spring you have in there? I take it you can specify the spring rates when ordering?
Do the rears use the original bushes?

Where is the front camber adjusted?

Few other things iv noticed ...

dirt covers?
does it need the helper springs?
I cant see it going low enough and having enough travel at the rear? looks like it will sit near to the bump stop all the time.

Would love to try a set on my 182 can you PM me details if the rear units can be ordered on there own.

The hole is slotted to allow camber adjustment.
They are also currently developing a solid top mount for the front coilovers which will be nice.
If you look carefully the bumpstop is not pushed to the bottom of the shaft on the rears.

Mk2 172
these do look really good, reason id want to buy the rears on there own is because i have leda's for the front, I did ask LEDA if they could make units like you have had made but they didnt think it would work well.
As already said it was believed that the race cars had a stronger mounting area at the rear than the road car.

Standard rear mounting area on race cars im afraid.
Im sure they will let you buy the rears. If not ill have a word with him for you.

RS RIP
hmmm , been saving for the H+R's , but after reading all of this thread i might be driving to Valkenswaard soon !

The Subaru drivers here in Holland also like the AST suspensions, though also a lot of reactions were that they were found too stiff/hard.

Lionel Richie

nope, road shell is the same as race shell at the back, only difference is the cage

Those fronts have too small OD inserts for me.

Are there any aftermarket kits in this sort of price range that have 30+mm OD inserts.

By this price range I mean not Proflex or Ohlins etc ;)

Mk2 172

nope, road shell is the same as race shell at the back, only difference is the cage

Thanks again fred. there you go guys! no difference

Mk2 172
ok iv noticed the slotted hole now, using the std bolts tho what sort of camber range can be set?

Ill call him in the morning to check that for you dave. ill pm you. im running 1.25 neg for road and feels massively different to standard. he doesnt want to run anymore cos he feels that that is perfectly adequate and will make very very lttle difference to tyre wear. 2 deg neg is way too much for road unless you get tyres for free!!!

Why too small?
Because 20mm inserts bend too easily

Its unlikely there goin to bend! what are you goin to do to bend them!!!!!
WARRANTY?!!! If they bend but i cant see it myself

If they will replace them under warrenty after they've done a few rally stages then sign me up :p

On my Mk1 car the only thing I have had that hasnt bent is some Bilstein non coilovers and my current Ledas (which incidentally look exactly the same as the Gaz Clio 2 struts?)

Leaning towards something like Bilstein PSS for my Mk2, but im even a little worried about the welded brackets on the bottom of them

Mk2 172
If they will replace them under warrenty after they've done a few rally stages then sign me up :p

On my Mk1 car the only thing I have had that hasnt bent is some Bilstein non coilovers and my current Ledas (which incidentally look exactly the same as the Gaz Clio 2 struts?)

Leaning towards something like Bilstein PSS for my Mk2, but im even a little worried about the welded brackets on the bottom of them

Yeah sorry! probably not ideal for off road! he he :)

Lionel Richie
Holister as a man in the know you'll know a TIG'd bracket ain't going anywhere

i've recently done some weld testing and the old saying of "1 inch of weld supports 1 ton" tis true, but you get someone who knows TIG, same material, same length of weld, triple that!

our own Bilstein stuff is 40/50mm!

ok iv noticed the slotted hole now, using the std bolts tho what sort of camber range can be set?

Ill call him in the morning to check that for you dave. ill pm you. im running 1.25 neg for road and feels massively different to standard. he doesnt want to run anymore cos he feels that that is perfectly adequate and will make very very lttle difference to tyre wear. 2 deg neg is way too much for road unless you get tyres for free!!!

Going to check my tyres this morning but im running a lot more camber than that and i havnt noticed a lot of tyre ware and i was doing 300+ miles a week.

i've recently done some weld testing and the old saying of "1 inch of weld supports 1 ton" tis true, but you get someone who knows TIG, same material, same length of weld, triple that!

What makes you think I know anything!!

Its a few years ago, and it quite hazy... but I think youre right; the welds held but the body didnt.

IIRC ive seen 4 types of failures in the last few years.
Insert bent
Body bent like a bananna!!!
Mounting bracket starts to tear off
Insert explodes out of body

The only other thing about Bilstein is how easy is it to find someone to service them? If AVO made one of their monotube struts for a clioII fitment it would be ideal as they are fairly local. Again with LEDA, recently went into and out of administration so not sure where they are going to end up.

700lb!!! its not a dodge viper!

it sounds a ridiculous amount, but when you drive it you'd not think they are 700lb rear springs. I drove it the other week from Kimbolton to Silverstone and back after a day there with Mr Clarkson and 'The Stig' as they were testing their car out for the Britcar series and it felt fine on road and track, including some spirited country laning. I drove it then to Donny for RWS all cross country there and back and round the track all the while it was set to full on track use and yeah it was a bit harsher on the road (easy to change though, takes 30 seconds) but by god does it handle well.

oh, Dan, negative 2 degrees of camber isn't harsh on tyres at all mate, I'm running negative 2.3 degrees on PE2's and have done 7k on them and they still look as they did new :D

Cup Turbo, Flamer
What seems to be the best spring rates for track cars then, about 225lb on the front and 300lb on the rear?

Mk2 172

Going to check my tyres this morning but im running a lot more camber than that and i havnt noticed a lot of tyre ware and i was doing 300+ miles a week.

Probably but he thinks i need no more. up to him. Hes the man in the know! :)

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
700lb!!! its not a dodge viper!

it sounds a ridiculous amount, but when you drive it you'd not think they are 700lb rear springs. I drove it the other week from Kimbolton to Silverstone and back after a day there with Mr Clarkson and 'The Stig' as they were testing their car out for the Britcar series and it felt fine on road and track, including some spirited country laning. I drove it then to Donny for RWS all cross country there and back and round the track all the while it was set to full on track use and yeah it was a bit harsher on the road (easy to change though, takes 30 seconds) but by god does it handle well.

oh, Dan, negative 2 degrees of camber isn't harsh on tyres at all mate, I'm running negative 2.3 degrees on PE2's and have done 7k on them and they still look as they did new :D

Maybe not then but he still thinks i need no more for road use. camber affects alot of other things other than just tyre wear tho such as baraking, accelrating etc. Ill just trust him cos hes been doin it long enough!

i'm doing well if my tyres last 7k at all! :(

well put it this way, standard camber and toe before the car was setup properly I got a mere 3500 miles out of the Eagle F1 GSD3's, which no matter what way I look at it I cant help but think they are pants tyres. I'll just stick to the PE2's for now, never had a problem with them and they grip miles better than most... R888's next for me though, cheaper than PE2's lol

lift number 1 @ btm
the r888's will go even quicker. last time i went to castle combe i had a half worn set, which became slicks on the lefthand side by lunchtime.
all in all, i had destroyed them in about 300 miles!

Maybe not then but he still thinks i need no more for road use. camber affects alot of other things other than just tyre wear tho such as baraking, accelrating etc. Ill just trust him cos hes been doin it long enough!

tbh the car is miles better all round running more negative camber, it feels more solid on the road, accelerates better as it grips much more, brakes seem the same tbh.

you'll have to bring your's to Silverstone Dan when we next go, should be able to get your car on track for free if it's in the name of a bit of testing ;) When I drove the 182 on track it felt really nice, even with uber springs... camber wise I think Andy's is only negative 1.5 or 1.6, I can get away with more on mine as I run 15's

dhowser - that's pretty bad, what suspension setup you running as GDI's lasted 5 trackdays, road use/abuse and are still no where near done yet :O

Lionel Richie
no offense to you john, but i remember you openly admitting that you're not the best driver in the world, so you're view i can't really accept as gospel

give the car to someone like Peter Knivett and see what he thinks about, then i'll start listening

Mk2 172

What makes you think I know anything!!

Its a few years ago, and it quite hazy... but I think youre right; the welds held but the body didnt.

IIRC ive seen 4 types of failures in the last few years.
Insert bent
Body bent like a bananna!!!
Mounting bracket starts to tear off
Insert explodes out of body

The only other thing about Bilstein is how easy is it to find someone to service them? If AVO made one of their monotube struts for a clioII fitment it would be ideal as they are fairly local. Again with LEDA, recently went into and out of administration so not sure where they are going to end up.

Thats exactly my point with AST. they have been makin suspension for longer than almost anyone else. 45 YEARS for god sake! i cant see them goin under like the likes of leda. gas shocks are the way forward anyway.
Also powerstation is only ten mins from me and can also setup the AST's absolutely spot on for every car due to there massive amounts of knowledge over the last twenty years or so of bein in the trade and building very high performance road cars and race cars! They also have completely up to date setup equipment there including a whole separate workshop where they can strip, rebuild and change anything you like on your AST's. they also have stock of every spring rate, size, length of all the AST springs and the eibach range.

Mk2 172
no offense to you john, but i remember you openly admitting that you're not the best driver in the world, so you're view i can't really accept as gospel

give the car to someone like Peter Knivett and see what he thinks about, then i'll start listening

Or me :D he he

lift number 1 @ btm
i've got a kw competition set. with slightly softer springs and valving. so it can almost be driven on the road, as i use it every day!

Mk2 172

lift number 1 @ btm
fred, i'm sure i saw yozzasport having something to do with pgti? or was i imagining it? if not, how about speaking to them about a comparison test? would be a good read, and probably stop some of the fighting.

Lionel Richie
Pgti aren't really our thing (at the moment)

track and race cars mag and give the cars to someone who knows his arse from his elbow (such as peter knivett or the editor keith wood) and i'm in

ours has been tested by them twice now

No I'm not, but that doesn't mean I dont know what a good handling car goes like. Steve who own's track-club is amazed by it, he drives GT3 RS's and Ferrari F430 Schumacher editions and all sorts of beasts, as does Scott who is one of their instructors and are more qualified than most to judge how well it handles. It was also catching up your Cup car piece of piss at FCS before Scott snapped the pedal off from his heel/toe moves... twice lol.

Anyway, no offense taken, my driving is not amazing, but I've not hit any barriers yet or flat spotted anyone's slicks ;)

lift number 1 @ btm
Pgti aren't really our thing (at the moment)

track and race cars mag and give the cars to someone who knows his arse from his elbow (such as peter knivett or the editor keith wood) and i'm in

ours has been tested by them twice now

should get it organised! race and track is quality. that would be an interesting day i think.