ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new FD2 Civic Type-R (JDM!)

S23

The Cleee-O
Awesome looking motor mate! Absolutely loving the VTEC indicator! Nice colour too. Would love to see one of these in the flesh as I've only ever seen them in photos. Gud choice though, and I hope you enjoy it :D

M135i
(I've PM'd u Russ)

Since Russ has unearthed this thread, a quick update of some various bits that I've since got for the car.....

Some Mugen slotted rotors......

021.jpg

Spoon Sports air filter.....

033.jpg

Mugen brake pads....

027.jpg

And had a Spoon engine torque damper fitted too. Pound for pound, this is a great mod I reckons....

IMG_0071.jpg

Have to say, am a bit disappointed with the Mugen brake discs and pads. Used them on the trackday at Oulton and was a bit disappointed with their fade and overall stopping power.

Thus, some new discs and pads are in order.....

Can any of the JDM heads on here give their opinions on Dixcel brake discs? Good quality?

And whats the concensus on Project Mu brake pads? Thinking of going for these ones.....

http://www.tougedistribution.com/item--Project-Mu-Type-HC+-Front-Brake-Pads--F300-HC/

Snotter's
when i got my s3 it was between the jdm fd2,rb320 and the s3. I chose the s3 as i thought the residuals would be the best lol. Oh how i was wrong, wish i chose the civic.

Awesome car

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
NICE. Quick question though. WTF does a "v-tec" meter do LOL

If you mean the Vtec Indicator... Basically when he gets to 5500rpm and comes on cam, a little light will appear on the dash to give you a hardon... then as you get closer to the limiter, 2 LEDs appear, a little closer... 2 more, then right before the limter hits, 6 LEDs appear, like a shift indicator..

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Have to say, am a bit disappointed with the Mugen brake discs and pads. Used them on the trackday at Oulton and was a bit disappointed with their fade and overall stopping power.

Thus, some new discs and pads are in order.....

Can any of the JDM heads on here give their opinions on Dixcel brake discs? Good quality?

And whats the concensus on Project Mu brake pads? Thinking of going for these ones.....

http://www.tougedistribution.com/ite...Pads--F300-HC/

the dixel settup is supposed to be very good know a couple rx7 guys running them, they do a carbon coated (not carbon ceramic) disc which is good!

project mu pads are amazing! i had some on the back of my 200 and they are the only pads that would lock up the rear wheels using the handbrake!

look at the ferrodo ds2500 or the 3000's too... i got the 2500's on my rx7 on the front... if your getting masses of fade though i would look at flushing the fluid and sticking some braided lines on there tbh.

Megane 225 F1
If you mean the Vtec Indicator... Basically when he gets to 5500rpm and comes on cam, a little light will appear on the dash to give you a hardon... then as you get closer to the limiter, 2 LEDs appear, a little closer... 2 more, then right before the limter hits, 6 LEDs appear, like a shift indicator..

So basically its to warn you that you are about to spunk everywhere with happyness. Nice :cool:

M135i
the dixel settup is supposed to be very good know a couple rx7 guys running them, they do a carbon coated (not carbon ceramic) disc which is good!

project mu pads are amazing! i had some on the back of my 200 and they are the only pads that would lock up the rear wheels using the handbrake!

look at the ferrodo ds2500 or the 3000's too... i got the 2500's on my rx7 on the front... if your getting masses of fade though i would look at flushing the fluid and sticking some braided lines on there tbh.

Cheers for that.

The dixcel discs I'm looking at getting are the heat-treated ones.

Just can't decide on slotted or plain discs. Whats your opinion on the benefits/drawbacks of going slotted or plain disc? Obviously the slotted are a bit more pricey but what other points should I consider?

Sounds good on the project mu. Everyone I've spoken to raves about them, so think I'm gonna go down that route.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the slotted will give a bit of noise under breaking, tbh i never have noticed any difference but some people swear by them...

dixcel also make some good pads the dixcel z pads are very good for road and track and are guaranteed not to fade up to 450bhp or something...

im removing my abs and will be sticking some mu's on the back and ds2500's front :D

M135i
Thanks for your thoughts Malice.

Decided to go plain dixcel heat treated complete with the project mu pads.

I've tried Ferodo DS2500s at the front already, and whilst they were good, they didn't really blow me away.

One of the guys I've been chatting to at Tougue Distribution is guaranteeing I'll be blown away by the Project Mu's, so we shall see.......!

bit of a ghey question here, but whats the MPG like?

MPG isn't too bad. I get about 30mpg if its all motorway, but down to more like 26mpg for day-to-day driving. Because of the gearing for acceleration, its a busy engine at motorway speeds... bit like my old 197.

Got about 9mpg at Oulton the other day.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the mu's will impress! they work well from hot or cold! what compound you getting?? they can be a little messy depending on which compound you get but seriously they are good pads! i think for the price difference i would go plain also i know the rx7 version is like 100 quid more for the grooves, i would rather buy the plain then send them to a guy on the rx7 club who will drill or groove them for me...

as i said i ran the mu's on the back of a 200sx and it was the only pad that would lock the rears on the handbrake as tbh the stock handbrake on the 200 (and the rx7 tbh) is rubbish!

M135i
Am going for the Type HC pads.

They seem a bit pricier than the other pads availble for the FD2, but you get what you pays for I guess.

Can I ask what would be the reasoning for going with Ferodos at the front and then the Mu's at the rear rather than same pads all round?

Is this to do with how you want to balance the car on braking?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
to do with the way i drive the car, i find the ds2500's to be a nice pad on the front, for road they stop you well and provide a nice feel, the mu's on the rear as they lock up the wheels piece of piss, and under hard braking they balance the car better for me, if i was to run really aggressive pads on the front, it makes the nose dip too much and then on turn in will give me unpredictable oversteer, with a aggressive pad on the rear and a slightly easier pad on front when i brake hard the car stays more level...

gives slightly more slip on the front than the rear

as i said in the rx7 im removing the abs, so im going to run some oem pads front and rear whilst im running the engine in and to get used to the difference in braking, then will stick the mu's on rear and either the ds2500's front or possibly the dixcel pads front as i have heard good things about them...

this settup is just my personal preference being rwd will prob be different than you in your fwd settup, i think you are going in the right direction with the mu's though, they were designed for drifting which means they need bite and no fade... they work well on track im sure you will be happy!!

M135i
Cheers guys.

Well, they were good enough to leave their details so its all going through the insurance now.

Been to Honda and is apparently gonna need a new door so the whole repair is going to cost nearly £1k.

Hopefully there won't be any hiccups with insurance, they left a note so I assume that's as good as an admission of liability.

My other concern now is the time it'll take to get a new door from Japan as the Honda dealer didn't sound too confident of getting one quickly, and apparently it's slightly different to the Civic hybrid door.

Am so gutted cos as I was talking with u abt Malice, I finally ordered the Project Mu's and the dixcel discs, but when u've got a big dent in your car, you kinda lose the motivation to upgrade other bits until u get the body sorted!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i know what you mean mate, been there and done that, had cars get damaged through no fault of my own and i just lost motivation, my 200sx got vandalised by a guy that put me in hospital, he took a knife to my face then started on the car :( lost all love for it and just had to get rid...

it will get sorted mate and then the mu's will get your love back!

is the fd2 not built in swindon then shipped to japan? like pretty much every other honda?? i wouldnt of thought it would take too long to get it... the dealer network is pretty good and the insurance will keep bugging them...

i wouldnt of thought it would need a new door i would of thought most of that would pull out... but im not sure what the impact bars are like in the doors tbh...

sure it was the person who hit it that left the note? and not someone who saw it?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
i really really like these cars, dont really like CTRs but this is awesome, got the saloon look to it aswell which i love

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hello fellow accountant. Not keen on that interiror and tbh, I usually like Honda interiors. Looks quite big too. How does it perform?

M135i
i know what you mean mate, been there and done that, had cars get damaged through no fault of my own and i just lost motivation, my 200sx got vandalised by a guy that put me in hospital, he took a knife to my face then started on the car :( lost all love for it and just had to get rid...

sure it was the person who hit it that left the note? and not someone who saw it?

Jesus! Puts mine in perspective!!

The fd2s are built in Japan apparently rather than Swindon. Been speaking with a few people however, and they seem to think the hybrid door is the same so maybe it won't be too much of a problem. Apparently, Honda have a large stock of parts in Belgium which only takes a few days, so maybe it won't be too problematic.

Yeah, was deffo that person, as I phoned him, and got a sheepish "Yeah, sorry about that." :mad:

Hello fellow accountant. Not keen on that interiror and tbh, I usually like Honda interiors. Looks quite big too. How does it perform?

Hello fellow ACCA-er ;).

If I'm being honest, it's a bit hardcore for the road as the ride is VERY hard, noticeably more so than the UK model. However, I still use it everyday for work so I'm pretty used to it these days.

Even though its bigger than the UK FN2, its actually lighter and stiffer, and the standard fit LSD helps too.

On track though....... :evil:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i dont understand how people manage to hit a car that hard in a carpark! how fast do you have to be going?!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I know what you mean. The Trophy is pretty stiff which means commutting on s**t roads and to clients can be a chore! That 5 door model looks more Integra than Civic to my uneducated eye.

M135i
People make mistakes - it happens unfortunately.

Lovely car! What's the power output?

Cheers mate.

225ps is the book output. However, if u believe everything EVO says, they apparently make closer to 240.

Personally..... I'm not so sure, but I do intend getting mine on the rollers once this dam door gets sorted.