ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new uber camp automobile. MX-5 Project.

Homo spec mazda
Picked this up last tuesday to replace the clio, it is an epic wagon, had the roof off in minus temperatures.... though it broke the rear screen :(, to say getting it was difficult is an understatement.

I originally spotted the car on wednesday the 1st of December... then rang them on the thursday to make sure the car was there and okay to collect on saturday as I started a new job on monday, and needed it for then as ive forgotten how buses work.

This is the original Advert
IMG_0422.png

Then on friday I rang up again to say that I was definitely coming on saturday at about 2pm as my car was to go on the same day at 1pm... I was told this was fine.

Saturday came and my clio was due to go at 1pm... So i jumped in the shower nice and early then rang the dealer one last time to say yes, i was coming, is the car ready for me..... the ladies reply was "yes its here and clean its sat literally right infront of me" Brilliant, I was so excited.

1pm came, and I and alex_c met the buyer at a service station near warrington, the buyer was an 18 year old from barnsley who came with pretty much his whole family.

He paid in cash and off we went .... one last photo as we drove past it in the petrol station.
IMG_0421.jpg

So alex_c drove me to the dealer, and when we arrived my little red car was nowhere to be seen. odd huh..

.. Anyway, i went in and spoke to a salesman i had dealt with on the phone only to be told a member of staff had taken it home for the weekend and it was stuck at the top of an icey hill unable to come down... Brilliant.... Excited and feeling naked without my name on a cars v5 i decided to strike a deal for the car to be ready on sunday and paid cash upfront.

Sunday came...... the cars still stuck, brill..

Monday more of the same and a big kick off from myself an Lbrench.. I had started a new job this day and was very fed up.. I did however see the rota for the first time in the shop and discovered even though we were doing a store setup I had tuesday off.. So myself and lynden agreed to go down at about 11am on tuesday and surprise them.

Tuesday came, myself, Lbrench and Alex headed down and yet again... no sign of it, so we told the salesman that we wanted a lift down to where it was stuck and we would get it down. He warned me that they had taken a range rover sport up on monday and nearly wrote it off coming down so refused to take the shogun up and left it at the bottom of the hill.

this is said hill
162717_10150331556035293_582855292_16020644_386900_n.jpg

(brilliant photo skillz by lbrunch)

It was worse at the top with a thin sheet of ice for the first few metres meaning a very nervous new owner.

35442_10150331555595293_582855292_16020637_971626_n.jpg

It was pretty much sliding on its tod at this point. Nevertheless 15 minutes later and i was at the bottom, smiling ear to ear and in love with the car. At this point il point out that the car had no electric windows or air con... or any other features stated.... but still i was in love and nothing would hinder that... I wanted it.. .end of.

So Lynden jumped in and we drove back to the dealer to strike a deal we through the roof down, in minus 5 temperatures we should have reconsidered that thought as we broke the screen doing so it was that cold it had gone brittle.

but still we were smiling.
150877_10150331555320293_582855292_16020631_6138852_n.jpg

well one of us was.

Got back to the dealer and they "cleaned" it and the salesman tried to make me sign the papers... needless to say i kicked up a huge fuss and wanted some money back, after lots of general s**tty salesman BS the owner gave in and refunded me some money... I was happy, he was happy, everyone was happy. Thats what counts.

So today is my first day off since owning the car and i decided to spend some time with it. I removed the stupid chrome boot rack to expose some holes in the boot, so that will be replaced asap. Then I removed the gay as "style bar"
IMG_0431.jpg

Which will eventually be replaced by some sort of rollcage.

I washed it so it went from....

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

To

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Sorry for the iphone pics.

At this point I had also removed all the mudguards as A) I dont like them and B) they were full of crud. I exposed all teh nasty paint gremlins but thats all due to be sorted as part of its project life. Also checked out the sills and their is one nasty patch of rust the rest is pretty spot on. For now the mods will be small... Then they will snowball bigtime and then calm down to a nice steady pace. Regardless Im loving the car, It has no ABS, no Power steering, no electric windows, no stupid gimmicks just down to earth good fun... Its already mounted a roundabout or 2 and i seem to spend a lot of time looking where ive been :eek:

Thanks for reading and il update as and when stuff happens :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Re: My new uber camp automobile

Hero.

Watch the drain holes for the roof, they block up and rot the rear arches from the inside. You also need an JDM LSD and a 4" drop. ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

£2k?! You can buy a new shape for that!

Good cars though, really really good.

Bad xmas jumper though, really really bad. ;)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

And in other news. Has the KA in photo number two got green wheels?

Homo spec mazda

Good cars though, really really good.

Bad xmas jumper though, really really bad. ;)

Leave my Christmas jumper alone!!!and behave kids I didn't pay 2k and chris I've already checked the drain holes and apps clear down there happy days, just paid for insurance the full year so mods are going a bit slow to start but afterwards theyl roll in big time then steady up.

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side

I did exactly that. but it isn't in as nice condition as yours looks, and it has a few more miles. Has a hero diff though...

Homo spec mazda

And that front bumper makes the baby jesus weep, Mine had to be red, that was a pretty simple choice for me.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.

what an awesome car...been out in this many times and i have properly fallen in love with it

was a journey getting it down that hill but worth it in the end.....

I still don't get it/these Seb mate, but hey, you're clearly a kiddie at Xmas, happiness wise and that is what counts lad!

Have fun!

p.s isn't that chrome bar the ROPS?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

£2k! f**k me.

Its still rot regardess of the drain hole situation.

The rear wing over laps the sill, water from the rear arch (will no matter what you do) gets in to it. When you see surface rust on the wing/sill it means its already all the way through the metal. Only way to fix is new wing and sill. Even then it'll still come back.

Last edited:
  Turbos.

I like that it is bare bones, but at the same time, i hope you paid a price to suit. It is low mileage for its age, but £2k is steep.

Will look forward to seeing it slammed!

mx5 & 172

p.s isn't that chrome bar the ROPS?

nope, it's a style bar and is more dangerous than having nothing.

£2k! f**k me.

The rear wing over laps the sill, water from the rear arch (will no matter what you do) gets in to it. When you see surface rust on the wing/sill it means its already all the way through the metal. Only way to fix is new wing and sill. Even then it'll still come back.

^^have to agree with most of that - it'll be an MOT fail as well cos the seatbelt mounting points are just in front of the arch. It can be patched to last a few years though - there's a chap called Garath on mx5nutz who seems to be capable of doing a decent job for reasonable money

On the other hand, the paint's in remarkably good nick for a red one and they're a massive hoot to drive - especially in this weather. it's taking everything I've got to leave mine on the driveway til the salt's washed away (I have no rust and new suspension)

Black Clio GT

looks in pretty good condition, look forward to seeing it on and some coilovers/get stance.
putting the mims on??

VX220

Looks good mate, the paint came up well, cant wait to pick mine up on thursday. Have the coilovers and wheels ordered ready for fitting in the new year as well!

£2k! f**k me.

LOL. That's a little silly.
I take it a new wing + sill is a pretty hefty job?

Homo spec mazda

This car will be getting everything it needs if it needs any new panels/ sills it's welcome to um I'm not fussed I see it as my most valuable asset and I ahem no intention of moving out anytime soon so it should be a fun project. :)

On the wheel front finding what I want is proving to be difficult I want a set of rs watanabes but the proper jobbies but can't find any, I've been offered 6 sportmaxx which although are a jdm nono do look epic so I may snap them up until I find what I really want

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

There are loads of wats for sale. Finding wide ones are a b**ch though. The are hella over done though.

Red? No Fi? Sitting higher than the himalayas? 2 THOUSAND POUNDS?

Good base to start a project though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Watanabe R's are the dished versions. Try and pick up a set used. There's been a few sets recently on Driftworks, but they go quickly.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Welcome to the hairdresser club ;)
Insurance if over 21 you need to try REIS. (Richard Egger)
Mention the forums for good daels including tackday cover X4 included. Mines less than £400 all bells & whistles.
Did i mention all my mods are declared & no extra premiums :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

There are loads of wats for sale. Finding wide ones are a b**ch though. The are hella over done though.

LOL. Aye, what you want are some cheap clones, just to be different, paint them red. Never been done before, like ever. ;)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

LOL. Aye, what you want are some cheap clones, just to be different, paint them red. Never been done before, like ever. ;)

LOL I was the only person on the nuts forum with GT3's. Now there are a few. Trend setter y0!

TBH if i were doing it again i'd want 14x8 mini lites on it.

mx5 & 172

I like 13s on mx5s - the extra tyre makes life very comfy (comparitively speaking).

There's a set of 13x8 et0 ssr mk1s up on there now at 650 - i'd sell a child to get them if my 5 wasn't going - you'll need arches for those though.

and yeah, wats are done to death.

Homo spec mazda

I like 13s on mx5s - the extra tyre makes life very comfy (comparitively speaking).

There's a set of 13x8 et0 ssr mk1s up on there now at 650 - i'd sell a child to get them if my 5 wasn't going - you'll need arches for those though.

and yeah, wats are done to death.

I Know the ones and its almost tempting even though theyre not the "look" i want

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Sensible chap! :approve:

Looking forward to the updates dude. I know you won't let me down. ;)

Homo spec mazda

Sensible chap! :approve:

Looking forward to the updates dude. I know you won't let me down. ;)

Thanks love, may be getting some ian Harwood seats as theyve come up at a decent price but its a 500 mile roundtrip so gonna sort out a courier.

soon to be 182 ;)

how much did you get it for in the end? and get some nice wheels, slam and camber :)