ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My PH1 172

120d M Sport
Been a member on here for 4 years, owned 4 cars in that time and tinkered with them all but never bothered to put up a project thread so far.

Here goes then, had been wanting a Renaultsport Clio right since a young age. Finally I got one in Feb this year, perhaps not as tidy as I'd have liked but at the price I paid I couldn't complain - it's mechanically sound, had lots spent on it before I got it but visually requires a bit of tidying up - prime for a decent project!

The car had 104k on when I got it and has so far stood up to a lot of the positive information many on here have said about these cars with regards to miles. I've been pleasantly suprised at how solid it's been.

Here it is before I got it:

Clio4.jpg

And the day I got it:

IMG_0413-1.jpg

After it's first clean by me:

IMG_0421.jpg

At the time this car was mostly my runabout for Uni, a bit of a luxury really but it did see a fair few trips between home and Aberystwyth. Here was a quick stop off in some picturesque Welsh scenery:

IMG_0520.jpg

Next major event was French Car Show, pictured with my two mates cars.

FCS.jpg

My headlights were looking pretty yellow and minging here, this was later rectified, along with the addition of some 6K HID's:

Renaultsport.jpg

The car shortly after received a full cambelt, aux belt and dephaser pulley change at 107k miles (it's second one) carried out courtesy of TCR in Wednesbury (highly reccomended)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lovely mate. I love a good Ph1! Only thing (and this is really picky!) that I'd change is the front renault badge to a standard item.

120d M Sport
After I got it back from having its belts done, I decided to give the engine bay a tidy up with some silver VHT paint and a general clean up and dress:

Enginebay.jpg

Along the way I've replaced a few more bits including a new air filter, a new top engine mount (genuine Renault) and a polybushed dogbone mount. Fitted the dogbone myself easy enough and it's made it feel a bit more solid. The added cabin vibration is minimal and not intrusive at all.

The biggest change, which I've been wanting to do for a while, was to get the wheels refurbed earlier this month.

I went for 'glitter anthracite' in the end and used a local company called Planet Wheels in Aldridge. It took a good few days to get these done and I had to run about on some tatty old borrowed wheels for a few days but the finished product was spot on.

Here are the pics since these have been done. Really pleased with these and think they've sharpened up the car a great deal.

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

225 Cup & Williams
Should have kept the wheels silver and the badges original. Looks immaculate though makes me miss my old one even more.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think this is the one i was looking at buying about a year and a half ago? Numberplate rings a bell.

Looks good though, nice and fresh

120d M Sport
A few more shots and a close up of the wheels, really pleased with the finish on these:

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

Calipers received a lick of paint too.

120d M Sport
Lovely mate. Ph1 mini meet needed ;-)

Thankyou sir, agreed, Xmas meet again like 2009? Had my little 1.2 back then :)

Lovely mate. I love a good Ph1! Only thing (and this is really picky!) that I'd change is the front renault badge to a standard item.

The badges were already like that when I got the car mate so I thought I'd do the wheels to tie in...slightly expensive logic I know!

I've always ran standard silver wheels on all my cars so fancied doing something different. This is a cheap car and I thought why not give it a new look to stand out a bit, hopefully it will for the right reasons!

Should have kept the wheels silver and the badges original. Looks immaculate though makes me miss my old one even more.

As above, badges were already dark and I thought I'd go with something a bit different to update it a bit.

Not normally a fan of dark wheels but I think it pulls it off well.

Saw a chap off here (Rob669 I think his forum name is) by my house when I first got it, his had dark wheels and looked great which is what made me go for that look.

work for BMW
looks nice, standard and clean! prefer the silver wheels though, especially in pictures as you can see them a lot clearer

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Looks nice and clean mate, ph1 ftw. Would look even better with a drop!
I hope I still speak so highly of mine if I ever get to that many miles :D

120d M Sport
It's hard to capture the wheels well in pics. They really have sharpened the car up a lot and make it look a lot meaner. I personally think the car looked a tad dated before and the dark wheels have modernised it a bit.

The car is my daily for work now and does over 300 miles a week; it's now on 114k and munching the miles with ease!

I agree Scott, I'm buying some Cooksport springs for it next. Keep the servicing up and it will plough through the mileage, I've changed the oil on mine twice in 10k and it's running beautifully.

Ph1 172 (titanium)
I agree Scott, I'm buying some Cooksport springs for it next. Keep the servicing up and it will plough through the mileage, I've changed the oil on mine twice in 10k and it's running beautifully.

Nice to see someone really taking care of their motor.
I love my ph1 and plan to keep it for many moons to come. Had mine since July. And it's received epic amount of love and money

120d M Sport
Nice to see someone really taking care of their motor.
I love my ph1 and plan to keep it for many moons to come. Had mine since July. And it's received epic amount of love and money

Sounds like we've got similar thoughts when it comes to how to keep a car then! Sounds good, I'm sure it will thank you for it and give you many miles of happy motoring.

I think mechanically, these PH1's are pretty built built (the interior rattles and creaks like a proper french car should though)

Christmas meet could a good shout, I might even clean my car this time!

As for mileage, I'm over 140k now...

You need to else you're in danger of getting shown up by my old shed. Let me know if anything goes ahead.

Nice work mate, running well I trust? Gives me hope for mine.

120d M Sport
Got lots coming on for this next few weeks:

Interior freshen up
cooksport lowering springs
engine cover done to match the wheels?