ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Renault debacle... (A really long read!)

White clique
Does amaze me. A lot of 197 owners would have you believe that the car's a quantumn leap over a 1*2 in terms of build, but more and more of these stories are surfacing.

Thats because it is.

You'll struggle to find any 197 owner, or owner of ANY car that has ever been produced who'll have heard of at least some niggles associated with their model.

There is no such thing as a perfect car. But there is such thing as a car that is built better than a 182.

Nimbus 197
fookin hell man, what a hassle! good work though needster, at least your persistence has paid off! - ish. Don't sell it!!!

Clio 1970000000
Thats because it is.

You'll struggle to find any 197 owner, or owner of ANY car that has ever been produced who'll have heard of at least some niggles associated with their model.

There is no such thing as a perfect car. But there is such thing as a car that is built better than a 182.

My wife has a 2001 Rav4 that we have owned since it was a year old. The only thing that has gone wrong in over 7 years is the battery died. That is reliable. Love my clio but am sure that the RAV will outlast it!!!

White clique
My wife has a 2001 Rav4 that we have owned since it was a year old. The only thing that has gone wrong in over 7 years is the battery died. That is reliable. Love my clio but am sure that the RAV will outlast it!!!

I'm sure thats the case, there are lots of reliable cars out there, but as an example, here is the rav4 forum at the toyota owners club, and there are lots of posts about problems with Rav4's. You'll find the same forum topics for every car ever made.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=79

Some people get lucky and have no probs, some not so.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats because it is.

Agree. After having my 197 for nearly three years, and just swapping it for a 172 Cup to free up cash, it was a bit of a culture shock. The refinement in the 197 is in a different leauge tbh. Love the cup though, proper old school!

Barge
I'll try and grab one tomorrow, been busy this weekend. Dark evenings FTL. They'll only be iPisch pics but I'll take some in the morning and post tomorrow. :)

172, Tiguan
The new seats are mint, but its a shame the bumper is already starting to pop out again. :(

Blue french shed.

Your ranting is paying off though, thank god they are putting a new gearbox in. Crunch!!!

Barge
AFPMSL. It crunched this morning, twice. f**king shed. Bumper is totally out again this morning. Heap of French shite. They'll check that again when it goes back in. Must remember to get pics of teh Recaroz0rz.

182 cup Inferno
Thats where i got my car from and had aload of problems with the warranty and still getting a thuding noise now when i pull away and they said they sorted all the problems out

Barge
I didn't buy mine from them fella, it's just where it is getting the warranty issues sorted. I'd have taken it to Tones, down your neck of the woods (as I've always had a good experience with them), but they don't have a body shop. :dapprove: French = heap. Standard.

182 cup Inferno
yes i know tones well but as i said durham dealers still not sorted this thudding noise out going to have to get it booked back in

Barge
I meant if they had a body shop that's where I'd have taken my barge to sort out - I'm sure you'd probably do the same with yours. Durham tend to be very poor at organising or sorting anything. Mines been booked in time and time again and I've had it given back and they'd done nothing. My 11 months of persistant nagging has paid off.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Just a friday afternoon car. Doesn't matter what make or model you have, they'll always be a few bad eggs. The Z4's had it's fair share of issues...

Just keep pestering them and you'll eventually get it sorted! Problem is, cliosport is very dangerous, you'll never sell that car on here now!! trade-INNN!

182 cup Inferno
as i have said in other threads warrenty people where not going to pay to fix the cluth only through evans halshaw not wording their emails properly in the end i phoned warrenty people up and sorted it

Barge
Very true, Ali. It's probably not going to a member now anyway, shame really as it'll be a bloody new car after all my pestering. LOL. And it's been well looked after since I've had it. It'll go on PH, AT, or there's another route someone (thankfully) gave me. It's a great car, it's just had some problems you wouldn't expect from a car its age.

Barge
Right, as requested, some pics of the new Recaro's. They're not great as they are off the iPisch, but you get the jist. Whereas the old material felt rough, this is sort of smooth, silky-ish, and a lot better padded.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Needster the side bolsters look thicker and maybe not as high up?

Not sure if it's just the pics, maybe they made them that slightly bit lower to stop the catching when getting in and out?

Barge
Hmmm, TBH, I've not really noticed I'm so used to lifting my arse up to get in. I'll have a feel of them tomorrow, LOL. They're certainly more padded.

Skoda Fabia vRS
the recaros have pretty much been on constant back order, a few spells where they become available but then a few days later, back order again sometimes for weeks at a time

gearboxes are usually only stock in France so expect 2 weeks for one to turn up

if your still waiting on any parts, pm me your reg and what your waiting for and ill check availability

Barge
look the same to me?

Material is darker, the originals were a light grey. Like I said pics aren't great cause they're just off the iPisch, but they seem a lot better made.

result on the seats!

Does it make your car smell new again?!

Unfortunately not. :dapprove: Or at least I've not noticed it. TBH, they didn't even valet it. Probably because they're petrified to touch it. LOL

the recaros have pretty much been on constant back order, a few spells where they become available but then a few days later, back order again sometimes for weeks at a time

gearboxes are usually only stock in France so expect 2 weeks for one to turn up

if your still waiting on any parts, pm me your reg and what your waiting for and ill check availability

I waited a while for the Recaro's - about six weeks I think. The gear box has been ordered allegedly but yeah I expected to wait a few weeks for it.

YHPM.

Mk2 Clio dci
Intresting read, glad you got it all sorted!

I'm suprised you had to go to RUK about your seats getting replaced as there a common issue, they should have just got on with it!

It amazes me the stories i hear about other renault dealers, abusing customers cars etc, as that would never happen at our work.

Barge
Finally heard back from the stealers. The car is due to go back into Renault on 23rd November for three days for the new gear box and wheel refurb. Woot. :)

172, Tiguan
She certainly seemed to know where all the gears were when i was there. Its OK, I drove it, I can confirm its fcuked.

Hopefully they'll fit the later ratios.

:)

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Finally heard back from the stealers. The car is due to go back into Renault on 23rd November for three days for the new gear box and wheel refurb. Woot. :)

Will you get the longer ratio 'box? Or did yours already have that?

Barge
No idea. They just had to order it from Francais, that's all I know. It's a 57 plate so whether that makes any difference?