ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My sister keeps getting a wet ass...

182 Trophy 019/500
Right I bet your probably wondering what this has got to do with Clio's, well...

My sister has complained a few times that she keeps getting a wet arse when she sits in the back of my car. I just told her to hold it in like the rest of us.

But she complained about it again tonight when we had just travelled a few miles on a soggy wet motorway, I thought I'd better check it. I couldn't find any signs of water on the rear bench, the windows or anything. I lifted the bottom of the bench and found water :S wtf? Looked to see where it was coming from but couldn't find anything. So I think/hope it's just condensation.

Anyone else had this problem?

182 Trophy 019/500
No my sister hasn't (neither has the car)

It's only a small out of water though, i'm gonna dry it out and see if it comes back.

ant

yep.
get someone to shine a torch up through the rear arches [in the dark]

heard the welds aint to clever on some and you might see ickle holes from the inside.

get some silicon sealer on there.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
RenaultSport said:
Right I bet your probably wondering what this has got to do with Clio's, well...

My sister has complained a few times that she keeps getting a wet arse when she sits in the back of my car. I just told her to hold it in like the rest of us.

But she complained about it again tonight when we had just travelled a few miles on a soggy wet motorway, I thought I'd better check it. I couldn't find any signs of water on the rear bench, the windows or anything. I lifted the bottom of the bench and found water :S wtf? Looked to see where it was coming from but couldn't find anything. So I think/hope it's just condensation.

Anyone else had this problem?

Yep , had the same problem . Yoz said it was the drivers side passenger window letting in water . Only happens a little bit , little pools of water . I just stuck some rags under the seat ,lol .I thought it was condensation at
first too .

http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96239&highlight=condensation

MrBillyUK !

Ford Fiesta
a lot of 182s leak under the rear arches, ive sealed two. so probably same for cups.

a few posts on here about it. So if it isnt condensation you will need to seal the arches with some silicone.

MKIII 138
err i had this and you will be suprised, i was told by experts it was the windows and it wasnt...

i have an answer to what it probably is

182 Trophy 019/500
ClioSport.2005.boot.jpg

Any good? found it on google

Ford Fiesta
think i know which bit you are going to point to meggerman, i tried just sealing here and it didnt work on mine, had to do it outside under the arch too.

182 Trophy 019/500
Just gone to check the car and there was water under the nearside boot trim (the bit of carpet up the side).

I know what i'll be doing tomorrow!!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I get a little bit of water in the spare wheel well also . Being a 172 .

MrBillyUK !

Ford Fiesta
sound slike the same problem. Get a bright torch and look for little holes under the wheel arch, just seal them with some silicone, simple.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers Liam182 .

Gonna give it a clean tomorrow weather permitting , i'll have a look under the arches with my torch .

MrBillyUK !

MKIII 138
nup probably isnt any of the above, its a really silly little thing on mine but allows for an amazing ammount of water to run in

yea that picture is fine ...

MKIII 138
... see the two rubber seals low down near the lights that stop the boot from hitting the metal (like mini door stops)
they can be loose but only by a little tiny bit. they can be popped out really easy. smear round the under side of the rubber seal once taken out then carefully place back in and wait for sealent to dry.

before you go through the arse ache of all this. take rear carpet out so you can see the water dripping through and use a watering can with both the boot open and closed on either rear roof side near boot joint/spoiler area so you know what seal it is get someone to sit in the back and watch the water come in then you will know if its the problem.

ant

yep.
sounds good.

i've noticed a "trickle" going into my spare wheel well on the righthand side. must be that bung!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
meggerman said:
... see the two rubber seals low down near the lights that stop the boot from hitting the metal (like mini door stops)
they can be loose but only by a little tiny bit. they can be popped out really easy. smear round the under side of the rubber seal once taken out then carefully place back in and wait for sealent to dry.

before you go through the arse ache of all this. take rear carpet out so you can see the water dripping through and use a watering can with both the boot open and closed on either rear roof side near boot joint/spoiler area so you know what seal it is get someone to sit in the back and watch the water come in then you will know if its the problem.

Never noticed them before , just been out to have a look , i can see em now and they are a little bit loose . So can the water get through to the back seat through these seals ? I'll have a better look tomorrow and get some sealant under the seals . I'll also have a look under the arches whilst i'm at it forany signs of holes like Liam182 says . Thanks 2 both of you for your advice .I'm sure alot of people will have the same problem and benefit from what you have told us .

Cheers :D

MrBillyUK !

MKIII 138
MRBILLYUK said:
Never noticed them before , just been out to have a look , i can see em now and they are a little bit loose . So can the water get through to the back seat through these seals ? I'll have a better look tomorrow and get some sealant under the seals . I'll also have a look under the arches whilst i'm at it forany signs of holes like Liam182 says . Thanks 2 both of you for your advice .I'm sure alot of people will have the same problem and benefit from what you have told us .

Cheers :D

MrBillyUK !

yea water can reach back seats from those rubber seals, your best of finding out if thats the problem if it is then take you rear seats out and dry the areas effected then spray wd40 over those areas to slow rusting (although it is galvanised metal its a safety precausion (it is french after all)

hope it dont rain for you tommorow as you cant close the boot fully until the sealent has dried however you can half close the boot

182 Trophy 019/500
***Update***

The water leak is annoying me now. After hours spend in my boot trying to see where water was coming in, I thought i had solved the problem. How wrong was I!!!

First of all I found a small hole just above the n/s tail light (on the corner of the wing) so i filled that with some silicone to see if it stopped... It did but only for a while, it then started to come from a different place :mad:

I then saw a few 'gaps' going up the side of the boot where the tailgate strut is (not sure if they were enough to let water in) so i filled these with some silicone, this still didn't fix the problem.

I then checked it all again and found that the tailgate seal wasn't fitting that great and there was signs of water on the inner edge of it. I used good old silicone to seal the seal to the car. Tried it, and at last all was ok. :clap:

However. I've just washed my car, checked the boot and guess what!?!? More fcuking water :banghead: coming from the same area (although it doesn't seem as much anymore).

So I can get a good look to see where its coming from, how do i remove the trim in the boot. (The part where the parcel shelf sits on and rises up the C pilar) As it looks like its coming from about halfway up there.

Hope someone can help!!! :hail:

182 Trophy 019/500
I have just been out and removed the rear bench and started to take the trims off.

I've taken both seat belts off (front and rear n/s), the rail for the front belt and also the trim above the rear window. How do I get the rear (main) trim panel off. It seems to be stuck at the bottom right hand side (as you look at it). Its attached to the sill trim... how do i get this apart???

I'm worried about breaking something and i bet the trims aren't cheap!!! :S

182 Trophy 019/500
Liam182 said:
had you aimed water up the arches when washing?

I have done in the past but I can see water traveling down the inside of the C pillar. It does it when you put water (or rains) on the n/s area of the spoiler.

I don't know if it could be one of those black gromets next to the tailgate hinge as the don't fit that well... I'm off to check now.

Ford Fiesta
or right well if its coming down then prob not same problem as ours. Hasn't it knackered all your llining etc if its coming in from there!?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've twice noticed a small pool of water on the boot carpet after washing the car. Can't see where it's coming from and nothing else around it feels wet. It looks very much like the water has dripped down onto there.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
sneeks said:
I've twice noticed a small pool of water on the boot carpet after washing the car. Can't see where it's coming from and nothing else around it feels wet. It looks very much like the water has dripped down onto there.

Have a look under the back seats , it sometimes finds it way under there as well .