ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Xenons scare me

VW Potato

Right, since Ive been driving home at night this winter, four times Ive had cars coming the opposite way suddenly turn right in front of me, crossing my path. I know why this is happening - a car with Xenon lights driving along a bumpy road can look like its flashing you. Indeed, Im guilty of this too - last night, a VW MPV (not the Tourag, the smaller one) was bouncing along the road, and I mistook its flashing Xenons as granting me priority out of a side road, until I double checked its speed and realised my mistake.

So be careful when interpreting the intentions of other Xenon equipped cars, and be careful about the signals your Xenons may give off to other road users.

g

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

xenons dont flash as theres too much of a delay, hence why your full beam is halogen as there is no delay

Octavia VRS

ive done a similar thing as well mate and also thinking that cars behind me are flashing - maybe the second one is paranoia tho!!

VW Potato

PJVTS,

I dont meant that I/they flick on their main beam, I mean a Xenon-equipped car on dipped headlights driving on a bumpy road, can look - momentarily - like its flashing you. Hence my incidents, and near miss with the VW. I know the answer is take more care and I will...but how many more people will cross my path, thinking I have flashed them?

g
* yes, yes, I know legally flashing says I am here, not please proceed, but most people think its for the latter, not the former.

[Edited by Scudetto on 07 December 2004 at 11:31am]

I read a letter some sent into a car mag where someone moaned about a similar thing, that and that Xenons generally blind other drivers. In response an expert said that it was impossible and Xenons stay level all the time.. i take it they dont drive!

-Rob

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive definately noticed that.

I think its coz the Xenons give such a direct beam that if the car bumps you get sudden direct glare!!!

VW Potato

I read the same letter, Rob. The expert that replied was the marketing manager of a company that makes Xenons and while he *might* be right about them staying level, I do agree - they can blind you more than other lights. I would say that around here, 80% of cars I pass at night have Xenons. Maybe its my eyes getting worse, but I cant see Jack shi5 as they pass me.

g

Ive had a few people either flash me if there coming the other way or flick there rear fogs on if im following them, i assume they think ive got my high beam on.

The last guy i was following put his rear fog light on, i just gave him a second or two of the high beam and he gave me a wave when he realised

Ive often thought that the flashing bright blue/white lights in my rear view belong to an undercover cop car... so I slow down, check the suspect out and then continue onward apace :)

Rob,

The flashing of headlights is actually to signify your presence on the road as a warning. Unfortunately everyone seems to think it is to give them priority.

Just goes to show why it should not be used to signal other road users in that fashion.

Mark

don't

happened last night, was infront of big lorry on long road, every slight dip and i was sure i was getting flashed, thought wtf is this guys problem, is something wrong with my car is that why hes flashing me or what

stupid design fault and very dangerous??

Its very annoying and also possibly dangerous. Loads of people round here with Xenons, and I mostly seem to drive when its dark these days, so it feels like almost every car is dazzling me, or Im thinking that theyre flashing at me, or flashing me out.. pain in the arse.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

i keep having people flash me when i am driving towards them, but i would not go back to halogen bulbs again after having xenons

PJVTS there are cars with xenon main beam i think it is the new megane scenic that now has twin xenon lights as an option main and dipped beam.

Twingo 133

I find that Xenons dazzle me and look like cops some times.

And in the highway code, flashing your lights is indicating that you are coming through. but every one uses it the reverse.