ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mysterious gear change light

Hiya!

This is my first time on the site so bear with me!

I have had my black gold 182 since March and my boyfriend keeps talking about a red light on my dash which should light when it is the optimum point to change gear. Only i cant seem to see one!!! Does it have one or is he pulling my leg?

By the way this is the only place i could get some answers to the niggles on my 182, my renualt garage was rubbish and i am sure they thought i was being a typical women and imagining them! :D

172s have a Green change light on the bottom right hand side, its in the shape of a gearstick, comes on just before the limiter. Would have thought the 182 would be the same. Its a case of blink and youll miss it. Dont tend to notice mine so much.

Max

[Edited by Max172cup on 09 August 2004 at 6:08pm]

Oh and welcome to the forum! :D

Leon TDI

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 09 August 2004172s have a Green change light on the bottom right hand side, its in the shape of a gearstick, comes on just before the limiter. Would have thought the 182 would be the same. Its a case of blink and youll miss it. Dont tend to notice mine so much.Max

My 182 is the same. Although with my driving position and the way i have the steering wheel adjusted, i cant actually see it while driving

Thanks for that!

By the way do you have any tips for dealing with annoying blokes in 206 GTIs wanting to race me? Or in fact any boy racer come to that! I havent seen any girlies driving the 182 as yet, are there any out there?

Quote: Originally posted by cliodiva on 09 August 2004

Thanks for that!

By the way do you have any tips for dealing with annoying blokes in Mk1 172s wanting to race me? Or in fact any boy racer come to that! I havent seen any girlies driving the 182 as yet, are there any out there?
flash your tits?

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 09 August 2004

its a green light and the light comes on when you hit the limiter
I thought the idea of the change light was so you didnt hit the limiter, so therefore it comes on just before you hit the limiter so you change up.

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 09 August 2004

its a green light and the light comes on when you hit the limiter
I thought the idea of the change light was so you didnt hit the limiter, so therefore it comes on just before you hit the limiter so you change up.
yeah, thats kinda what i was getting at:oops:

Thanks for that!

By the way do you have any tips for dealing with annoying blokes in 206 GTIs wanting to race me? Or in fact any boy racer come to that! I havent seen any girlies driving the 182 as yet, are there any out there?

yeah boot it!, that should shut them up as u go passed them!

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 09 August 2004

Thanks for that!

there is a simple £25 solution.

http://www.thebigsleep.co.uk/albums/RenaultSport-V6-Testday-Trackday/2004_07_07_001.jpg

1.2 badges...

welcome by the way, ignore the comments...

/y0z
Ha very good! I will give that a whirl! Thanks!

I will ignore the pervy comments from blokes who obviously cant handle the fact a fit girl drives the same car as them! Cheeky Charlies! :oops:

If you speak to someone on here called Mike172Sport he can sort them out cheaper I think.

you always get one or two. On the whole we are quite respectable, I promise.

/y0z

lol, claws are out!

have to say, welcome to the madhouse :p
Its okay! I can handle it!

So.... my bloke has a CTR (04) and i am sick of him bleating on about how much better his is than mine! Alhtough if you read the top gear lap times my just kicks his butt! What do you reckon then, should i give him a race to shut him up?

LOL dont start this again...

In a nutshell:

if he can drive the CTR well it should be quite an even match...

if you can drive yours well - go for it, just turn the ESP off!

oh and how have you not found the gearshift light? I would suggest you find the light before you challenge him...

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 09 August 2004

LOL dont start this again...

In a nutshell:

if he can drive the CTR well it should be quite an even match...

if you can drive yours well - go for it, just turn the ESP off!

oh and how have you not found the gearshift light? I would suggest you find the light before you challenge him...

/y0z
Well that is me well and truly told! Anyway his still looks like and old mans car with nice wheels! Was that a typical girly comment? I think it was! Ha!

By the way i liked the comment about the parking! Only that doesnt apply to this girl believe me! It is hardly rocket science is it, but i have been told i drive like a bloke!

get on the track with him then... that should teach him.

events are all over the place:

http://www.easytrack.co.ukhttp://www.easytrack.co.uk

I drove the 182 and the CTR around a day that we did and the 182 was a lot faster:

http://www.roamer.com/imaging/albums/2004-05-27%20Rally%20Drive%20Track%20Day/slides/IMG_206_0627_01.jpg

http://www.roamer.com/imaging/albums/2004-05-27%20Rally%20Drive%20Track%20Day/slides/IMG_207_0765_01.jpg

:) so you stand a very good chance of stuffing him if you can drive well.

it was tounge in cheek about find the shift light...

;-)

/y0z

I think i will! Thing is they all seem to be down south and i am from the north east! He was going to take me on his MAC course but i am a teriible passenger!

Thing is my boyfriend is a police driver and drives fast all day at work. he also has a 04 model CTR which is supposed to be a lot better than the model shown in your pics.

VaVa

Thing is my boyfriend is a police driver and drives fast all day at work. he also has a 04 model CTR which is supposed to be a lot better than the model shown in your pics.
04 had a facelift and a lighter flywheel. Shaved a couple of tenths off the 0-60, but nothing else.....

In a stright line, youll be struggling against him tbh. Lead him into some tight twisties, flick off the ESP and gun it.....

The fabled gear change light has nothing to do with the optimum time to change gear. Its an over-revving light, which basically warns you that your getting close to the limiter.....The optimum time to change gear is a little lower imho, just before 7000 rpm. That works best for me anyway.....

The gear change light didnt work on the car I drove so it might be the same for you.

Anyway it just indicates you close to the limiter nothing to do with peak power.

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

So do you guys constantly drive upto 6000+ RPM ?I dont like pushing mine over 4.5k, she squeels a lil.