ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nail In tyre! Argh! Advice Plz??

BMW 330d :)
Was driving home last night and managed to get a nail in my tyre. Its too near the wear indicators to repair according to the tyre place so I'll need new tyres. I was thinking about putting the 182 michellins on in the 205 size. Would that invalidate the insurance as the original fitment on the 172 cup are 195's??

Anyway the prices that kwik fit and co are wanting are ridiculous, £90 for a continental contisport 195/45 80v tyre. I got them for £69 from budget last time but they damaged my rims putting them on. The price on mytyres is good for the same tyre (£62) but it will take 5 working days for delivery and I need my car, which is up on a jack at the mo. The puncture just has to be on the brand spanking new wheel that Ive put on (£130) so no doubt they will damage it putting the new tyre on anyway. I've also had the orignal damaged turini refurbed but its without a tyre! ARGH!!!!

Oh and to add to my probs I've just split up with the g/f!! :(

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Fraser

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds a bit dodgy to me mate . The wear indicator is on the outside of the tyre , in the tread . The repair is made on the inside of the tyre , its just a rubber patch . The only time they won't usually repair a tyre is when its gone into the sidewall of the tyre . I'd take the tyre elsewhere mate . I never bother with kwik fit , ats etc .... they are after your business , take it to a small independant tyre place .

If you've got a spare turini , just get yourself a cheapo tyre to use as spare .

MRBILLYUK said:
Sounds a bit dodgy to me mate . The wear indicator is on the outside of the tyre , in the tread . The repair is made on the inside of the tyre , its just a rubber patch . The only time they won't usually repair a tyre is when its gone into the sidewall of the tyre . I'd take the tyre elsewhere mate . I never bother with kwik fit , ats etc .... they are after your business , take it to a small independant tyre place .

If you've got a spare turini , just get yourself a cheapo tyre to use as spare .

The contis have wear indicators in the middle and I went to 3 different tyre places that all said the same. Im probably wanting to up the size to 205's anyway for more grip, but would that cause problems with rubbing if I lowered the car 40mm?? And would I get raped by the insurance man with wider tyres?

Cheers

Fraser

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Still think it sounds weird just because its near the wear indicator .

Your best bet is phone your insurance company first , get their advice on fitting wider tyres .

Got both fronts replaced yesterday as they were both on the wear indicators in the middle. Got them from Kwik fit in Bishopbriggs. Had them fighting in price against national tyres as they both had price matching policies. This resulted in the price for two conti 195/45's being reduced from £180 to £135 for the two, balanced and fitted. I told the guys to be very careful with the alloys and they were, only leaving two small scratches on one of them.

Has totally transformed the handling and grip on my car!

:)

fraser

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldnt expect any scratches at all mate. My tyre fitter has done mine, and many others including freshly refurbed ones and brand new dark 182 wheels and never seen a single scratch!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Frasers Cup said:
Got both fronts replaced yesterday as they were both on the wear indicators in the middle. Got them from Kwik fit in Bishopbriggs. Had them fighting in price against national tyres as they both had price matching policies. This resulted in the price for two conti 195/45's being reduced from £180 to £135 for the two, balanced and fitted. I told the guys to be very careful with the alloys and they were, only leaving two small scratches on one of them.

Has totally transformed the handling and grip on my car!

:)

fraser

you could have had my 4 A539s for less than that

:lolup:

:D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like eviljohn says . They shouldn't leave any scratches .

Only 2 scratches :eek: !

Two guys in my office went here

They said it was great, they come to you so no pissing around, and they couldn't find cheaper deals elsewhere (one was even buying the run-flats for a mini).

The guy who turned up was from here not sure where you're based, but it might be cheaper sourcing them from there, if you're around Leeds.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
MRBILLYUK said:
Like eviljohn says . They shouldn't leave any scratches .

Only 2 scratches :eek: !

poor show.

I got 4 conti's from KF and they were actually done well, only downside was wads of 'grease' or whatever it is on the rim of the alloy and wheel, but easily cleaned off with a wee cloth, so not the end of the world

Frasers Cup said:
I told the guys to be very careful with the alloys and they were, only leaving two small scratches on one of them

Done because you told them how to do their jobs?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
R20 CWH said:
poor show.

I got 4 conti's from KF and they were actually done well, only downside was wads of 'grease' or whatever it is on the rim of the alloy and wheel, but easily cleaned off with a wee cloth, so not the end of the world

^^^^ Just tyre bead soap on your rims , easily removed unlike scratches :(

ST
EvilJohn said:
I wouldnt expect any scratches at all mate. My tyre fitter has done mine, and many others including freshly refurbed ones and brand new dark 182 wheels and never seen a single scratch!

Legends at that garage indeed!!

M2 Competition
I order my tyres online, get them sent to my house, and then the guy i know in the tyre exhaust place down the road fits em for a tenner.

No scratches...

Summats wrong if theyre scratching everyones wheels mate!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Its a place in Sighthill in Edinburgh mate. I'd need to meet up with you probably, the bosses are trying to cut down on homers. Will sort it over MSN