ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hryszko's Racing Blue Project

Mk5 Golf Gti
Hi guys,

Decided I would start a little Project thread for what is my first Clio Sport. I am based in the Harrogate, North Yorkshire area and have seen a few 172/182's about recently, if you're based near me give me a shout and I will look out for you, anyway onto the car. I previously owned a little 1.6 Mini Cooper which was a brilliant little car, however, roughly 4 months ago now I got a new job who paid for my travel expenses (Bus to work) which meant I was on the look out for almost a 'weekend toy', something faster than the Mini, something I could drive on evenings, to Leeds and back once a week and something I could thoroughly enjoy driving. After a long time searching it seemed that a Clio Sport was the car for me, with a budget of £3,500 and after a lot of research I bought a beautiful 182 Cup in Racing blue.

The Clio has:

-68k miles on the clock
-Cambelt/Dephaser and Waterpump replaced at 63k miles only a year ago.
-Owned by enthusiasts who have serviced the car themselves (I have around 100+ receipts for parts)
-Miltek Exhaust with brand new Cat only 400 miles ago
-Passed MOT last month with no advisories
-Short Shifter
-Grooved Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
-Uprated poly bushes & Braided Brake lines
-Aero Bonnet catches
-Lots of carbon (Bullets, Washer blanks, rear wiper surround, rear exhaust surround and rear bumper carbon strip, pictures to follow)
-Brand new oil cooler
-2x Brand new toyo proxes t1r (100 miles old, rear's need changing next month too)
-Brand new engine mount (50 miles old)
-Brand new rear shocks
-Abundance of service history

As you can see the car has been thoroughly looked after and really does run brilliantly. Now I actually only have one service stamp in the handbook but this is because previous to me owning it, the owners have serviced the car themselves. This is backed up by the fact I have a folder bursting with receipts, probably 100+? :D Anyway...

A couple of photos from when the car was first dropped off with me!

14687012574_1ed9d4a1a1_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

14502948487_9925eab201_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

As you can see the little clio is in beautiful condition and im absolutley overjoyed with it so far!

Here are a few photos of how the engine bay is currently sitting.

14689151792_7b3fc306fb_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

14502801568_ecbcec153d_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

14502769120_5a44300a94_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

As mentioned earlier there was a lot of carbon trim already on the car itself and when I found out how much this stuff goes for I was shocked to say the least...

14689402325_81b9c6f8f2_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

14502735400_5cba28f924_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

14502759629_73601c9765_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

14502959217_b17c6e08c8_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

14502756189_2dbf4a7d00_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

Please excuse the dirty car but at least it gives you an idea of how its all sitting! :) So thats all the good news, cant own a clio without there being some sort of bad news and this is where mine started :(

I was insured on the clio and it was taxed and ready to go, I took it out the night I got it for a little drive as I couldn't contain my excitement! (we have all been there with a new car) I noticed that the exhaust note of the Miltek was rather loud, now because I have never owned a clio sport before, and I have never owned a Miltek system before I decided to have a look underneath and check everything was right. Quick check before I went out revealed nothing, as far as I was aware it was just the system and that's what it should of sounded like... After about 30 minutes of driving I heard a bit of a knock and the exhaust note got significantly louder, pulled over had a look again and I was greeted with this..

14686233691_4c7ea1e2cf_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

It was going through the Cat but no further, and wasn't going through the silencer.. Hence the excessive noise. The morning after I took it to my mates house and we set about getting the exhaust repositioned, managed to get it all sorted in under an hour and I haven't had a problem since! Job well done :cool:

14689112382_7beb60179b_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

Anyway, decided to give it the first proper clean in my ownership! Cleaned, polished and detailed. One of my best mates also owns a 182 and only lives around the corner so I went round to show him my new purchase, whilst showing him the new rear shocks we could hear a sound i can only describe as 'bacon sizzling' and the bad luck was back again... a puncture in the rear tyre! Decided to have a look at the other tyres and discovered a very small nail lodged in the front left tyre too, two new tyres it was :mad:

So that was all sorted, happy days! Oh wait, nope not yet... Discovered a loose cambelt cover bolt, turns out the cambelt cover itself was threaded and the bolt was pretty much just sitting in there completely loose.

There were also few things that I was not happy with and something was definitely wrong!

-A knocking, almost as if something was catching coming from the front wheels when accelerating.
-A loud Knock when on full lock
-Vibration that I could feel through the clutch pedal when setting off in first gear.
-Coolant was leaking from somewhere, however it was only leaking when under pressure..

So, got it booked into the local garage I always use, (can't rate them more, they are brilliant) I asked the guys to give the car a thorough looking over and try diagnose some of the problems I was having. Turns out, the first two knocking noises were coming from the wheel weights that had been put on the new tyres, Knock on weights instead of stick on weights. The vibration I could feel was a knackered engine mount that had literally snapped in half and the coolant was leaking because a couple of jubilee clips weren't as tight as they should of been.

They guys fixed it all for me and for the hours of labour and parts that they needed replacing it only cost me a reasonable £230 which I was very happy with! Here is my brand spanking new engine mount...

14502977187_27bc29609a_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

Last edited:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks proper stunning mate, can tell you're pleased with it! I would be :)

Will you be changing the red under the bonnet? Can't help but feel it doesn't really go!

I'll be looking out for you in the surrounding areas! Just got a grad job in the centre of Leeds so look out for me too :D

Mk5 Golf Gti
On a more positive note...

All of the bad news was sorted and I was left with a brilliant little car, very very surprised at how quick they are and I have been taking it very easy! Me and my best mate spent an afternoon cleaning to cheer me up :)

The exhaust tips were looking very sorry for themselves so after giving the car the thorouh cleaning treatment I tackled the exhaust tips, fairly pleased with how they came out actually! And everyone loves a good beading shot!

Later on that day I met up with my other mate who has recently bought himself a Corsa VXR and well, we couldn't resist a couple of snaps!

14689124732_a556196728_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

14709292713_b98d5e7def_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

14686260421_dd768a55b6_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

14666694346_9fc66f2fce_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

14709589953_af52d69942_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

As some of you may notice there were 'Trophy' stickers on the side, the rear under the clio badge and also on the front.. I soon took them off and it made it all look a bit cleaner IMO.

Then YET MORE BAD LUCK, I was driving into town to see a friend who I haven't seen in month last night, no issues what so ever until I was slowing down for a roundabout, went from 5th gear to 2nd and the the ger lever just went, couldn't put it into gear and it was completely loose, you could literally move it around in circles, managed to use the momentum I had to get parked up and out of the way! So my first thought was a gear linkage problem, clutch is fine and there was no obvious sign that the gear box had gone :) A call to the RAC and a 2 hour wait to be picked up they towed me home :mad:

14689411415_fc540ffa90_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

So there was a very unhappy Joe last night, having to cancel on my good mate because of a breakdown literally 2 minutes away from where he was :S Guy who came to save me said that whoever fitted the short shifter hadn't done a brilliant job, it was under the heat shield and the exhaust! Just my luck for it to go on me, the previous owner had been driving the car for a year with the short shifter on and he wasn't the one who fitted it, previous previous owner was the guy who put it on... So, long story short, incredibly unluck that it went last night, but at least It went last night and not tonight on my weekly drive to Leeds... It has been booked back into the garage for Monday morning to get sorted. Thats it so far, had ups and downs in 3 weeks of ownership, mainly downs but hopefully once it is all sorted I will be back to being over the moon with it! :)

I have a lot of plans for it but want to get these bits sorted first!

First project thread I have ever done, so you might have to bear with me and updates won't be extremely regular with working nearly every day of the week! But Fingers crossed, and thanks for reading!

Joe :)

Mk5 Golf Gti
Car looks proper stunning mate, can tell you're pleased with it! I would be :)

Will you be changing the red under the bonnet? Can't help but feel it doesn't really go!

I'll be looking out for you in the surrounding areas! Just got a grad job in the centre of Leeds so look out for me too :D

Thanks mate! Appreciate it, yeah I will be even more pleased with it when these little issues are sorted! :)

Maybe, I quite like it personally but we will see :p

Yes keep an eye out for me and I will for you, I DJ in Leeds on weekends so im there every Saturday!

Mk5 Golf Gti
Looking good Joe

Thank you mate! :)

Next on the list is some new rear tyres and then I can start on some more exciting mods! After the tyres im thinking, Ktec induction, Xenons and a Stainless Battery cover! After all this is my first 182 so im taking things steady, gathering ideas from other projects etc!

Mk5 Golf Gti
The Little Clio is feeling very sorry for itself currently, waiting to be picked up in the morning and make a trip to the garage for the gear linkage to be sorted out. Hopefully (Fingers Crossed) its an easy fix and nothing too expensive! Keep you updated tomorrow...

14502777010_d2fb936d38_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko

Mk5 Golf Gti
Update:

Got the car back this morning and it feels better than ever! No niggles at all (Touch wood) and to celebrate I have ordered some goodies...

1- Some FF Xenon Headlights
2- Ktec induction
3- Stainless anodised top mount covers
4- Stainless battery cover!

Hopefully all get delivered quickly & efficiently! :D

Mk5 Golf Gti
So the Xenon Headlights arrived today and will be getting fitted tonight when I finish work (Pictures will follow)
With it being pay day I have just ordered a Skoda Fabia front splitter and a Polished fuel rail guard as mine doesn't seem to have one!

Thinking of getting a stainless battery cover, but can't find them anywhere?! Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys :)

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
So the Xenon Headlights arrived today and will be getting fitted tonight when I finish work (Pictures will follow)
With it being pay day I have just ordered a Skoda Fabia front splitter and a Polished fuel rail guard as mine doesn't seem to have one!

Thinking of getting a stainless battery cover, but can't find them anywhere?! Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys :)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...MINIUM-BATTERY-COVERS-BLACK-SILVER-%A320-EACH

Did you know this was previously featured in French car magazine?
used to have unbelievable amounts of carbon on it and the bay looked amazing
i still have the magazine here

Mk5 Golf Gti
Did you know this was previously featured in French car magazine?
used to have unbelievable amounts of carbon on it and the bay looked amazing
i still have the magazine here

Really?! I knew it was heaviliy modified and had insane amounts of carbon in it but I had no idea it featured in French car magazine!

Is there any chance you could show me the feature?

Mk5 Golf Gti
The registration before I purchased it was..

M40 CUO and after a little bit of research it turns out he was a regular poster on here a few years ago?

Anyone know anything about the car or the previous owner? :)

Mk5 Golf Gti
Couple of updates!

The A pillar trim was missing and it was beginning to infuriate me so i ordered some Flocked A Pillars from the parts for sale section! They look really good and can't wait to fit them.

14858292234_11f648a5d2_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko

I have also been spending the past few days prepping and painting the fuel rail guard i ordered, (for some reason there wasn't one on the car when i bought it) unfortunately no pictures yet but will get some when its fitted.

Other plans for this weekend:

1. Fit Skoda Fabia Splitter
2. Spray the RS grill's gloss black
3. Clean ;)

Aslong as the weather doens't stay like this ill have loads to update on soon!

Also, toying with the idea of some new wheels, any ideas anyone?

Mk5 Golf Gti
So I have done some work on it this morning!

Fitted the Fuel Rail guard that was painted by myself, not the best job but not bad for a first effort! Also fitted the Flocked A Pillars ;)

14680727057_be994c17db_c.jpg
Untitled by djjoehryszko, on Flickr

14680621869_811937f69f_c.jpg

14866920702_835f474d14_c.jpg

On another note, the clio hit its first milestone in my ownership! 69,000 miles... funnily enough on my way to pick up the next part for the clio!

The ktec induction hosing, picked this up from a good mate of mine who now owns a 197, unfortunately there was no filter so i have ordered a Ram air induction filter to attach onto it! Cant wait for that induction roaaaaar! :D

14864181751_63e7714168_c.jpg

14887124793_dcfe4a1923_c.jpg

Mk5 Golf Gti
Looking good mate - I'll try and remember to find the feature for you

Thanks mate appreciate it! Would really like to see it :)

Got some more bits done today, splitter fitted and the fog lights have been wrapped yellow tint! (will get some better pictures tomorrow when the weather is better)

Mk5 Golf Gti
Updates:

Here are some pictures of the Fabia Splitter fitted and the tinted fog lights! (I personally really like them) I know the headlight is all steamed up, if anyone knows how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it?

On a lighter note, I won a pair of Team Heko wind deflectors on eBay last night so they should arrive this week along with the Ram air filter for my ktec silicone hose! :D

14883369034_a5df045f79_c.jpg

14699148250_ea7b6633f5_c.jpg

Mk5 Golf Gti
Looking good, I am really liking the carbon trim especially around the exhaust!

Thanks mate! Have to agree with you :p got a few more bits to do tonight when I finish work!

My ram air filter arrived yesterday so I will be fitting it with my ktec induction tonight :)

Mk5 Golf Gti
So last night I set to fitting the components together to make the 'ktec' induction, I bought the hosing off a good mate of mine and ordered a Ram air filter seperately! Managed to get them fitted last night and the noise is something I could definitely get used to ;)

Anyway, some pictures!

14727845418_e7427afa1f_c.jpg

14914448635_bceb50395a_c.jpg

14911376851_9a789426d1_c.jpg

My Team Heko Wind deflectors arrived today whilst I was at work so if it stops raining I will be setting foot outside to fit them! Pictures to follow :)

Mk5 Golf Gti
Fitted the Team Heko's this morning! I think they really look the part, opinions?

Im debating some Black Renault badges aswell to go a bit better with the Carbon Fibre! If anyone has any good ideas for cheap little mods that can really make a difference just let me know, new RS badge is next on the shopping list!

14932085741_b0fe862c3b_c.jpg
by djjoehryszko, on Flickr

14934817192_3c08c1b07b_c.jpg

14912182886_051a7a9985_c.jpg

14934819222_bdd3a2800a_c.jpg

Mk5 Golf Gti
So Sunday tends to be car cleaning day for me so after a thorough clean I took some snaps for you!

Next plans (after pay day)

-New RS style badge
-Spray front grills and fog lights gloss black
-Stainless Bettery Cover
-Paint Correction
-Front Bumper touchup
-Refurbed Wheels

Thats it for now, if anyone has any good suggestions for mods just give me a shout :)

14948856342_d68cfb51b1_c.jpg

14948859612_325aabb352_c.jpg

14948862632_f1ec2fd35d_c.jpg

14948861862_dd29a1471a_c.jpg

14946107931_841180a810_c.jpg

Close up of the Carbon Fibre exhaust surrounds and ear bumper strip, featuring shiny miltek ;)

14762516219_e02debdd03_c.jpg

Couldn't resist a cheeky engine bay shot!

14762822569_30ba89f626_c.jpg

BG Clio 182 FF
I'd remove all the stickers. "Trophy" one in particular.

Also where have your headlight washers gone?

Love the colour - racing blue is gorgeous.

Mk5 Golf Gti
I'd remove all the stickers. "Trophy" one in particular.

Also where have your headlight washers gone?

Love the colour - racing blue is gorgeous.

The Trophy Stickers were removed weeks ago mate! :)

Washer blanks, I believe all cup's came without headlight washers!

Thanks man! Have to agree, its my favourite 182 colour (even if I do say so myself) ;)

BG Clio 182 FF
Pretty sure the proper 182 cup has the "pov spec" interior?

Like this one:

car_photo_17031_25.jpg

Yours looks like a 182 with both cup packs.