ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NAS Drive - Which One ?

Skoda Fabia vRS
Im looking at getting a NAS drive, has anyone any experience with any ?

Ive looked at the Seagate Central and the WD MyCloud, id want either to be seen by my Xbox One, so if anyone has either and know they work with it that would be great, now that its finally got DLNA support

I cant be bothered with memory sticks anymore

Listerine & Poledo
Cant help regarding the XBox connectivity, but I've got one of the WD MyCloud NAS, and it works a treat.
In fact, as most of my network is hard-wired, I use it as my all-storage drive, and just keep a little SSD in my PC. Now I can get all my work, photos or tunes from anywhere with the various apps.
the only sod is if you want to get some BIG files down, as you'll be at the mercy of your upload speed.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Look no further than Synology for a home NAS / media box.

The Synology is a "proper" NAS though, capable of all kinds - Plex, Couch potato, Sickbeard, home security server, and much more. If you're just after storage though, it's a bit overkill. I just play all my media through mine, don't even bother with the XB1 for any of that. It depends if you want to use it for backup as well, can go for RAID if you have a 2+ bay NAS rather than a cheap single hard drive effort.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a Synology DS213j, love it. Wanted RAID, it didn't cost too much, and the Synology software is good, including apps for Android.

Shame iTunes is so poor at handling external storage.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
The Synology is a "proper" NAS though, capable of all kinds - Plex, Couch potato, Sickbeard, home security server, and much more. If you're just after storage though, it's a bit overkill. I just play all my media through mine, don't even bother with the XB1 for any of that. It depends if you want to use it for backup as well, can go for RAID if you have a 2+ bay NAS rather than a cheap single hard drive effort.

Yeah, but if you're gonna do something, do it right. :)

I've found the itunes service on synology pretty good tbh.

Listerine & Poledo

Unless it's something you bought on iTunes years ago, then it'll just randomly rock up on your phone when you leave it on shuffle one day.
"I dont remember buying this sh1t!?"

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
My problem with iTunes is that you can't save any defaults for external stuff, so the columns have to be set up every time, width, what ones to show etc.

Skoda Fabia vRS
it will purely be for storing/streaming media, mostly video files, mp4, avi, mkv etc, I don't want to spend anymore than £150

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
That's the only problem with the Synology, adding 2 x 2tb drives bumps the price, at least doubling it (proper NAS drives). It is good though, mine's been rock solid for 4 years.

Skoda Fabia vRS
that would be too much to spend, what about the DS115 and 1x2TB drive, that would be about £140 in total ?

Listerine & Poledo
so about £250-300 quid once its running then lol

"if you can just up your budget slightly, by 200%" ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS
the DS115J seems to have good features but id need to buy my own drive, would I just plug it into my PC and format it, then stick it into the enclosure

Ciio 200
Another vote for Synology if your budget can stretch. There are some brilliant features. I picked up the DS213J and a couple of WD Red 3tb drives a few months ago. It was more expensive than other options (WD Cloud etc), but anyone that has one only has positive things to say about them.

Skoda Fabia vRS
So, a 2TB Seagate drive, plus the Synology DS115 would be £155, what differences can I expect between that, and a 2TB Seagate Central which is £99.99

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Brun can you link to that set up? I'm umming and arring between that and the ds214j as I like the idea of having data redundancy in case the drive fails.

Skoda Fabia vRS
ok so im pretty sold on buying a Synology now ive read up on them, but I don't know whether to get a 1 bay DS115J with a 3TB drive, which would be around £175, or to stretch to the 214se 2 bay but only put one 2TB drive in it for now, which would be nearer £200 but give me the option of RAID in the future

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
ok so im pretty sold on buying a Synology now ive read up on them, but I don't know whether to get a 1 bay DS115J with a 3TB drive, which would be around £175, or to stretch to the 214se 2 bay but only put one 2TB drive in it for now, which would be nearer £200 but give me the option of RAID in the future
This is what i'm doing. Just plug in your second drive IIRC and it sorts its self out.

Avoid Seagate like the plague, their drives are utter garbage. Would not trust even storing my temporary internet files on them.

A Synology would do you well, depends exactly what you want from it tbh.

What about the HP MicroServers which often go in promotions?

Skoda Fabia vRS
really ?..........they used to be rock solid, though my experience in building systems is from 10+ years ago lol

would any of those systems have trouble streaming large files to my Xbox / TV etc ?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The 214se 2 bay with x1 4GB WD Red HDD. I'll buy a second HDD when funds allow to have the back-ups.

really ?..........they used to be rock solid, though my experience in building systems is from 10+ years ago lol

would any of those systems have trouble streaming large files to my Xbox / TV etc ?
Had around 10 droves over the course of 5 years about 3 years ago - every single one had issues within a 2 year period. My brothers was that bad, it was sent back for repair 6 times. I wish I was joking. It did become a bit of a running joke tbh.

I'd also never touch Samsung mechanical drives now, because they're sadly also made by Seagate now 😧 I think it was from the Maxtor days, for me they just went downhill badly.

Maybe others have better experiences, but I'll never get another again :]

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I'm inclined to agree about Seagate. I had / have a pair of 3TB Seagate Barracudas in my Synology, and one of them died last week, a couple of months over the 1 year warranty. Luckily i've got them mirroring so have now replaced the drive and rebuilt the pair, but pretty annoying. Thinking about it i've had another seagate go on me years ago too.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
@Nik thinks its decent, (correct me if i'm wrong!)

My DS212J streams everything i throw at it to my smart tv, laptop, iPad, Raspberry Pi running xbmc etc, and most of that is high bitrate 1080p blu ray rips.

It won't run a Plex server particularly well though if you want the device to do any sort of transcoding, but i've not had any need for that tbh, all my devices can play H.246 MKV's directly from the original file.

I guess if i wanted to watch one of these blu-ray rips direct from my NAS while on holiday on my iPhone using a 3G mobile signal then i'd want it resampled before it was transmitted to me, but that's never going to be a requirement lol.

Skoda Fabia vRS
It sounds like any of those options will suit my needs then, im inclined to get the 214SE so ive got the RAID option in future, just throw a 2TB drive in it for now

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yeah, I've got business stuff on mine, and a load of stuff that i can't afford to be without (even though they are backed up elsewhere periodically) so the RAID is important to me, and it paid off already thanks to Seagate lol.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I guess if i wanted to watch one of these blu-ray rips direct from my NAS while on holiday on my iPhone using a 3G mobile signal then i'd want it resampled before it was transmitted to me, but that's never going to be a requirement lol.
Would this be a problem if I'm watching something on my iPad connected to wifi Nik? I'm in hotels quite a lot these days.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I've never had a problem doing that, just depends on the speed of the wifi really. Synology's video app lets you copy them from the NAS to the iPad for offline viewing too if you like.