ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nasty black sealant? On seats

Hi all, when I bought my seats they were really black on the leather I assumes this was the meguiars cleaner the seller had said so thought nothing of it, now they've been on the car for a while and in the cracks of the leather the real grey of the seats is starting to come through, so this must be some sort of sealant/coating?!

But what? I've tried to get it off with AF Hide cleanser and it's taken me about 30 mins just to clean up the bit in the picture... Any ideas how I can get it off? What products and technique?
Daniel any ideas mate as you do a wonderful job on all the valets I've seen on here??

Cheers
Darius

3ajapu4e.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Someone's used leather 'dye' on it but sadly, you cannot dye leather. Effectively, it's just been painted.

Your only option would be to speak to someone more qualified than me. You could use a harsh cleaner (TFR works wonders!) but prolonged use and/or scrubbing it can result in ruining the leather for good.

Or you could buy a black 'connolising kit' and re do it yourself? But in time it will crack again. Although done properly, i've seen it last years and years!

Either way, it's fixable so don't panic.
@gally @JD @Scrooge

One of those chumps may be able to suggest a strong but safe cleaner.

Someone's used leather 'dye' on it but sadly, you cannot dye leather. Effectively, it's just been painted.

Your only option would be to speak to someone more qualified than me. You could use a harsh cleaner (TFR works wonders!) but prolonged use and/or scrubbing it can result in ruining the leather for good.

Or you could buy a black 'connolising kit' and re do it yourself? But in time it will crack again. Although done properly, i've seen it last years and years!

Either way, it's fixable so don't panic.
@gally @JD @Scrooge

One of those chumps may be able to suggest a strong but safe cleaner.

Cheers Dan, where can I get some TFR from? And what is connolising kit lol!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I was thinking what f**king new flannel has called me a chump ffs lol

When I bought my seats someone had put so e whit sealant s**t on one of the bolsters, a mixture of claying and apc, eraser and warm damp microfibre sorted it. If not you'll have to redo the leather yourself as Dan said there's a fair few kits out there.

im not great at leather stuff so one of the others may come up with something...

I was thinking what f**king new flannel has called me a chump ffs lol

When I bought my seats someone had put so e whit sealant s**t on one of the bolsters, a mixture of claying and apc, eraser and warm damp microfibre sorted it. If not you'll have to redo the leather yourself as Dan said there's a fair few kits out there.

im not great at leather stuff so one of the others may come up with something...

Like a clay bar? Sorry what's apc?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep clay bay, apc is all purpose cleaner. Start of diluted and then slowly drop the ratio until it starts to work.