ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help asap (oil filter removal)

Static Low
Mates servicing my car just now & wants to know what way to turn it when going in through the arch ?? Push it towards the front or pull it towards the rear ??. Seems to be causing a wee bit of grief

1.2 16v mk2ph3

thanks champs

Static Low
cool

going the right way.. it just seems like not getting anywhere

the person who last serviced also didnt put a new pollen filter in

thanks bud

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
id be worried if whoever serviced my car asked me that lol.

bt ye, like every other thread that, left does it up.

Static Low
im not worried one bit

AG motorsport who serviced the car last time have clearly glued it back on or something lol

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
mine was simple on my 1.2, even easier on the old pug :)

but his mate is goin through the wheel arch so must be harder, i was under the car so i only got it loose then turned with my head after,

3 Series touring
you will need a Strap wrench thing and a fekkin long socket set.....get someone to put the strap wrence down from the top of the engine bay , whilst you stick your hand under the wheel arch and put the strap round the filter canister.....then turn . it wil be reealy hard to do , but once you've done it once its easy!!

M

mini-valver

For easyness on tight filters without a decent filter wrench, t**t a screwdriver through it.

BMW M135i
They've got a plastic outer casing that can be reused yes, although everytime i'd had one from renault its came complete. A lot of the 3rd party ones are just the element though yes.

Personally the renault metal filters are far far too short to go bashing screwdrivers through without the potential of damaging something. Big old ones are ok but i'd stick to a chain strap personally.

Yup chainstrap is the way forward, think it slightly easier to go in between the subframe and the gearbox, that's how I got to mine. Rather than through the arch.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
this always confused me,

i have the kind where you use paper filters, and re use the casing,

but everytime i go to halfrauds/euro car parts n give them my reg,

they plonk a metal one infront of me n i end up having to describe the one im after lol.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
a piece of emery/sandpaper to help grip always works for me! I too would be worried if the person servicing my car had to ask which way is it to loosen!

3 Series touring
DO NOT USE A CHAIN STRAP!!!!!
only use a filter wrench with a fabric strap!!!

the chain wrench ( apparently ..accordingn to the ole haynes manual) has a habit of breaking the sh1tty plastic casing rounf teh re-useable filter.....)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
omfg, get ur mate away from ur car if he doesnt know how to take an oil filter off, ffs!