ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help big time!!!!

- 54 ' Renault clio 1.2

Alrighty, i need your assistance guys a lot! Heres the deal, i have a 1.2 16v clio mk2 phase 2 which i bought in september. As i am only 18 the insurance was a nightmare so the cheapest way to do it was through Arnold clarks insurance comopany whoever that is, but!!..............ive made some changes to my motor and i checked with renault that it was all legit, wouldnt affect my warranty etc! so last week i slammed it -40mm on an Apex spring kit and fitted 17" alloys as they look and handle a lot better than my old standard 14"s. So i phoned up the insurance company to declare this and the woman said they wont cover me, they only cover an increase in 1 inch!! what do i do!! if my dad finds out im fooooooked! im plannin on phonin up and sayin "hey i have 16s and have just put on 17"s" think this will work?!?! any suggestions HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers Simon

Da

Less

erm...at 18 i think your pretty fooked by sounds of it mate. Im 25 next year and upto my max mods (6) with Admiral.com. Your age is gonna be the problem there... not sure about the "ive got 16s on and want 17s" The company will know/be able to check what size wheels come as standard.

- 54 ' Renault clio 1.2

aw bollox! ive just bought the feckin alloys and had the springs fitted! argh!!!......the ho did offer to put me through to their partner company or summin who would cover me...........if it cost me £1600 fully comp at arnys any guestimates for price at this other place?????

Punto/Clio GTT

dont declare em if you cant get insurance anywhere else or if they wont insure you. just dont crash ! and if you do, get someone out with your 14s n swap em asap

- 54 ' Renault clio 1.2

lol, yeh, maxim lives life on the edge obviously! insurance is a total C**T! i think i might shed a tear, the motor looks so sweet on the new rims! argh! i think ill try my luck with the "got 16s" thing and if she busts me either make interfernce noises down the phone and hang up or beg like the desperate gimp i am!! ill get some pics up the morra, of what may soon be then end of a 3 day era!!! :(

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Thats good advice Maxim! :confused:

Why are people so naive to think they can modify their cars and think its not gonna screw them on the insurance (especially when they are so young)?

Youre better off putting it back the way it was. Sell the wheels or keep them until you can afford it.

Not declaring them is like having no insurance. You crash into me and itd be my insurance who Id have to claim off and youd be right royally fecked with the Old Bill.

Try elephant insurance and try adding a second female driver (often brings the quote down) but be prepared for a hefty price. Think about 10 month accelerator policies and even limited mileage.

Good luck anyways.

It wont work by the way with the already had 16s malarky.

A car could have 17 inch wheels as standard and if you fit 15 inch alloys your policy will go up as they are then classed as non-standard alloys.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 07 February 2005

dont declare em if you cant get insurance anywhere else or if they wont insure you. just dont crash ! and if you do, get someone out with your 14s n swap em asap
^^^^ f**kNG STUPID COMMENT ALERT ^^^^

Not-delcaring mods is against the law. If you have a crash your insurance can be voided and youll end up n serious hot water with your insurace company and can be refused insurance in the future, plus if your insurance is voided then you can get in trouble with the police... driving without insurance = your f**ked. If you cant afford the premium dont do the mod.

GR7

Shiny red R32

I havent read through all the posts, but as far as I am aware, telephone calls to insurance companies are recorded, as it would be evidence should there be any problems about what was or wasnt said in the conversation. As you have already told them that you went from 14" to 17"wheels, it might have been recorded so if you now try telling them that you have gone from 16" to 17" they might not believe you and your insurance could be void should you need to make a claim.

500bhp Scoob

agree with the above comments.

Shouldve checked with the insurance company first.

I was lucky when i first insured my car, i declared every single mod to be done to it in the coming months, and it didnt cost me a penny.

Its all good and well when you say you can drive around with mods aslong as you dont crash. but sods law says otherwise and you could quite easily hit someone up the arse.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 07 February 2005
Thats good advice Maxim! :confused:Why are people so naive to think they can modify their cars and think its not gonna screw them on the insurance (especially when they are so young)?Youre better off putting it back the way it was. Sell the wheels or keep them until you can afford it.Not declaring them is like having no insurance. You crash into me and itd be my insurance who Id have to claim off and youd be right royally fecked with the Old Bill.Try elephant insurance and try adding a second female driver (often brings the quote down) but be prepared for a hefty price. Think about 10 month accelerator policies and even limited mileage.Good luck anyways.

totally agree

Punto/Clio GTT

ide guess over half the people on this forum has a mod on their cars that aint declared,

3 options,

dont declare em and risk it

sell the wheels n loose some cash

keep the wheels til you can insure em.

myself ide go for the 1st option, but thats me, wonder how many people thatll piss off this time

Truth is, theres probably loads of drivers driving around with undeclared mods.

I saw a bog standard Rover 25 (not lowered and with steel wheels and wheel trims) yesterday with Joe Average driving but it had Lexus Rear lights (!). Ill bet he hadnt declared them or even knows he is supposed to.

You see stacks of cars with equally daft spoilers, probably undeclared.

However, things like lowering and different wheels will affect the handling of the car (arguably making it handle better and safer, though try telling your insurance that!) and I would assume insurance companies would be far stricter in those type of mods.

Crash the Rover I mentioned and the insurers would probably be alright about it. Crash your Clio and you could end up without a payout and youve lost the lot.

No ones gonna force you to declare them but its the best and correct thing to do.

- 54 ' Renault clio 1.2

cheers guys, much appreciated.back to the drawing board it appears.......does seem pointless payin for insurance as a "comfort blanket" that doesnt actually exist!.........my rents shall beats me if they catch wind of this.......gutted! cheers again!

try cis-they let you do as many cosmetic mods as you want aslong as you tell them. If you can go under one of your parents name(yes illiegal but very hard to prove they arent main driver) it should cost you around £500. Thats with an any driver policey. I had a astra 1.4 at your age and it cost about £400 to insure then got my current one at 19 and it costs about £600 now. Ive claimed on it too no problems. even paid out around £1000 for ice id never told them about even though inititally they said i was only covered for £500

Dont bother useing the website. Ring up and ask a rep to come round.

The car is my dads though and he does drive it so in my case not really illegal and i was able to apply his no claims but i no a friend who did similair with mini who got it done for £400 and he just pretended his dad drove it. directline may come close too if you put the car in your parents name

the difficult thing is what to declare and what not too, i mean wheels, bodykits and engine mods are obvious, but what about a gear knob, engine start button, etc or even to the point of "any modifications?" "yes i have a clio sport sticker in my rear window 3 inches from the left" and why dont you ahve to tell them if you upgrade to some top performance tires? surly they will make the car handle better so in there eyes you will drive faster more likely to crash

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 07 February 2005

ide guess over half the people on this forum has a mod on their cars that aint declared,

3 options,

dont declare em and risk it

sell the wheels n loose some cash

keep the wheels til you can insure em.

myself ide go for the 1st option, but thats me, wonder how many people thatll piss off this time
Its not just yourself youre risking !!!

If you crash into someone, then they arent going to be able to make a claim against you to have their car/bike/etc repaired because your insurance has been voided!

Therefore you personally will have to foot the bill for both of you (imagine if it was a £30K beemer or more). Worse comes to it, you might even knock someone down an kill them.

Anyone with any sense will have any modifications done to their vehicle declared and covered by insurance.

Tell your insurance company or remove them

Look at Conner on here the crashed his car then the insurance wouldnt pay out and he had to get a personal loan to fix his car.

When i crashed my first car, was a fiat punto with norwich union, i hadnt declared any mods. i hit a beemer and wrote that off and my own car. I had 17s lowered, bodykit, different back lights, induction kit, bucket seats, and momo steering wheel and gear knob.

They did pay out, it took 6 months though and they made me pay an extra £320. Wasnt worth all the hastle for £320, should have just declared it.

Now have clio 1.2. lowered alloys and tints, all declared but pay the price. £2000 with Admiral.

My lesson was learnt!!!!!

E60 diesel powah

:oops:ive got a clio m2 phase 3 not told my insurance anythin! dropped 60mm 16inch cliosport wheels on! tv etc in ther..!

RS Megane DCi 175

Quote: Originally posted by dutty_112 on 09 February 2005

:oops:ive got a clio m2 phase 3 not told my insurance anythin! dropped 60mm 16inch cliosport wheels on! tv etc in ther..!
:cry: