ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help on ’02 172 purchase - warranty

Good morning !

As some of you may or may not know, I had a black MKII 172 a year or so back but had to sell it but now I am back ! Well, yesterday I agreed to buy a 2002 MKII 172 and I am EXTREMELY happy !

I need a few questions answered if anyone can help :

1) The car was registered at Ron Skinner & Sons in South Wales in March 2002. It is an EU Import, how many years warranty should this car come with ? The guy selling it reckons it had only 12 months (which was the dealer talk at the time when everyone knew that you had at least a 2 year pan-European warranty) but my old MKII 172 car was registered around the same time (July 2002) and had a 3 year warranty.

How much warranty should it have ? Is there anyway I can find out from just the Reg Mark ?

Any help with this would be a great help, it will not affect me buying the car but it would be nice to have another year or so on the warranty.

2) The guy also said that he had disarmed the automatic headlights by turning the ignition on (without starting the car) and then click the light arm stick up a few times or something like that, is this true ? Can you disarm the auto lights on the MKII in this way or something similar ? Is this the same with the automatic windscreen wipers ?

3) The car has an Irish private plate on it, he said he can put the original GK02 plates back on for me or leave the private plates on, what do you think ?
[/QUOTE]
If anybody can help with any of the above queries then please post here, it would be mucho appreciato !

Diolch,

Dai
THAT Random Welsh Bloke

:D

Lee

BMW M2C

Its hard to tell as the warranty starts when the car hit the road in its country of origin.

If you call Renault Customer support (god forbid) and give them the VIN they can tell you exactly how long it has to run.

Yes, you can disable the auto lights. I disabled mine as I was sick of them coming on and bothering people everytime I went under a small bridge.

Theres a scan of the Renault letter regarding EU warranties here:http://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/rw.jpghttp://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/rw.jpg

Hope that helps.

Lee

Oi welshy,

I got a EU import & had two years on it but if you go to your local Renault dealer they can apply for the third year for you (take your service book & log book)....Also ring Renault UK & register with them & they can tell you how much warranty it has...If you have an e mail I will send you a copy of the letter from Renault ref the warranty & what to do???

As for the lights you can disarm them by turning the lights to sideluights twice then you will hear a beep & the same again to arm...

I dont think you can do it for the wipers.

Ref plates not too sure but then I cant know everything I am only a girl after all but I would have thought that would be a transfer via DVLA back to the originals if they were retained??

Jaine

Cheers both,

Lee, thanks for that, I think that is the same letter as I had when I bought my first car. I will make sure that the guy has all the correct information when I pick the car up, sounds like there should be a 3 year warranty on the car then ?

I did not know that about the lights, I quite like the auto-lights to be honest. Not a problem then.

As for the plates, the guy will pay to put the original ones back and re-register the car but I dunno if it is worth it, at least the age is hidden with the current Irish plates. May end up getting a private plate myself anyway.

Dai

PS Squirt, us guys never have that problem of coming second ! Oo-er !
;)

Lee

BMW M2C

I like the auto lights, I just dont like the guy in front wanting to get out of his car to ask me why I keep flashing him!!

Sitting in slow moving traffic into Birmingham they are a liabililty!!

Yo hippy xxx

daipac I thought I was being followed the other night & so I did a few wrong turns etc & he kept with me so I turned up a dark road & went to turn my lights off & watch but of course the bloody things would not go off without all the kerfuffle first...only time I have ever cursed them....

Still sure he was following so just blasted it for a while & lost him as I dont like people knowing where my garage is .

We get too much of it at work. Like the other day a guy got his car out the garage - got out to shut the garage doors turned around to see his car speeding off down the road. Hmmm not good plus no insurance pay out due to keys in ignition...doubly not good. :(

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez-azzzzzzz, this is turning into a $eedy thread, steady on there Squirt ! LOL !

Anyway.......... that is a good point actually about the lights, they do seem like you are flashing (your lights that is) the person in front and also you cannot turn them off when you are doing drive-bys either unless you do all that gumph first !

I would cry if that ever happened to me ! Grrrrrrr !

:cry:

Hippy, I think you need the service/log book and also an invoice/bill of sale showing the car was bought after 17th October 2000 according to the letter from Renault.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

So Dai you are back in the 172 fold :D .

What colour is it? I hope it is black.

Pictures please when you have it.

Alright greeper mate, well.... it is a bluey black ! LOL ! I have gone for the Monaco Blue this time after looking at them in the gallery and in the flesh it was stunning and the car was mint too with such low miles so I just had to have it !

I got some pics of it now from the guy but I will post some I take myself once I have it in my possession and it has had a wash ! Should not be too long before it is mine ! Next weekend I am aiming for !

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Haha well I suppose Blue is OK (second best colour). I hope the weather gets better so that you can put the car through its paces and give it a long wash and polish.

Mine was registered as new on the V5 in March 2002. Its a Dutch import.

When I rang Ren UK to upgrade my warranty to 3 years, they said that the car was, according to their computer, a couple of months older than on the docs said and that the DVLA had made a mistake, and that meant I couldnt have 3 years warranty.

After throwing my toys outta the cot at the dealer, he investigated and came up with documentation stating that it was new in March 2002.

Ren UK wanted a copy of the original dealers stamp in Holland!!

So I just sent copy’s of the first service stamp, V5, receipt for the car and a Gas bill showing my name and address and they accepted that.

I then got my full 3 year warranty from March 2002 until March 2005

Just make sure its been serviced at the right intervals by a Renault dealer :)

greeper, me too mate, me too ! Will be picking it up in a few weeks time so hopefully the weather may be a little bit better (but I doubt it !).

Viv172, thanks for that, answers all my questions there. I am not sure if the car has been serviced yet as the mileage is only 9500 miles. Will have to check that with the current owner.

Everything else should not be a problem. Sounds encouraging anyway !

Thanks guys !

The first service is 12,000 miles or two years so itll be ready for a service in March.

Thats nice low miles, enjoy!!! :)

Viv, yeah I just checked that so that is cool ! Everything seems ok for the car to have a 3 year warranty, I have the VIN number of the car now so I will see if I can check before I buy the car, but it will not make much difference to me, I will buy it anyway. Just nice to have some peace of mind !

It is very low miles too yeah ! VERY happy ! The car is showroom condition, was very impressed with it and will be even more impressed with it when it is sitting on my drive...... photos to come !

I was wondering about this last night too, a common fault with some of the 172s was the washer balls shooting out. If for instance this happened and the warranty had run out, would Renault still fix it for free as it was classed as a fault in the design of the washer jets ?

Thanks again for all your help guys, it is great to be back !

Lee

BMW M2C

lol, I lost my first washer jet ball a couple of weeks ago, and Ive just started my 2nd year of the warranty, so its just dealer cover. Rather than have them spend an hour taking the bumper off I just purchased a new unit and popped the ball out of the new one and pushed it into the existing one. Its still there so far. :D

I drove around in my old 172 without the washer balls in for a few weeks, it was great fun shooting the cars on the other side of the road as I went past ! LOL !

:devilish:

No they won’t be covered anymore, but if they are anything like mine and fall out quite often then the new part is always covered by the parts warranty, so its like getting a year warranty on just the washer ball over and over...lol