ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help with buying new tyres.

RB clio 182
My car needs 4 new tyres next month.

Im not in a position to buy some top notch Michelin unfortunately :(

So my budget is around £50 per Tyre.

Whats the general thoughts about changing from 205/45 to 195/45 ?

Any help will be great.

thanks.

WRX
You still might find 205s cheaper as 195s aren't a popular size. You're opening up a can of worms but the reality is just go to your tyre dealer and ask what they recommend for your budget. People on here will say if it doesn't cost £100 a corner, it will kill you. The people who actually fit your cheap tyres don't make you sign an indemnity form though. I'm not saying cheap tyres offer the same performance but if you don't drive like a hero, you'll be fine.

RB clio 182
Well to be honest. I really want some 15" wheels. So could budget more if someone wanted to sell me some 15's with tyres that have decent tread.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Given that your tyres are the only contact between your car and the road I struggle to understand when people prioritise spending money on power upgrades over rubber. If it was me I'd rather have better tyres than more bhp, but everyone is different. Good luck with your search.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
UniRoyal RS2's are £59 each (£63 delivered) at CamSkill... but then you're still looking at £10 a corner at least to have them fitted. Pretty sure 205s are actually cheaper in W over V rating too and over 195s as well, so look about and see what's best for you.

Bearing in mind they're the only thing between you and the tarmac (and a crash will cost you a lot more than £200!) and you're not exactly driving a 600cc Matiz .. I'd have a look a little deeper in to my wallet if I were you ;)

Having driven a few things with budgets, including a couple of 182s, I'd highly recommend not buying sh*t tyres, especially at this time of the year. It's a false economy. Nothing to do with driving like a hero either (sorry Adam ;) ) but I lost the back end of the OH's old 182 (amazeballz Infinity tyres on the back end, y0) at 20mph on a roundabout at 7am on the way to work.

We've just replaced the fronts (mismatched sh*tters) with a pair of UR RS2's on her current car and it's honestly made an enormous difference.

RB clio 182
Im not doing any power upgrades. Its just that my tyres are worn out and will probably be illegal in about 1-2 months. So it has come at an awkward time of year thats all. I would rather have cheap tyres and be legal.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Im not doing any power upgrades. Its just that my tyres are worn out and will probably be illegal in about 1-2 months. So it has come at an awkward time of year thats all. I would rather have cheap tyres and be legal.
Sorry fella, I thought you were buying an RSTuner and getting a KTR IK, apologies, I've obviously got you confused with someone else.

In any case, whether you're doing power upgrades or not, as per Evil Giraffe's post above, try and extend your budget for tyres as much as possible. It will work in your favour in the long run if it helps prevents you having an accident.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Tread depth is very important in the wet, even if its cheap tyres a new set are better than a worn out set of decent tyres in standing water.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
In any case, whether you're doing power upgrades or not, as per Evil Giraffe's post above, try and extend your budget for tyres as much as possible. It will work in your favour in the long run if it helps prevents you having an accident.

Or having to buy new underwear every time you come to a corner :eek: