ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help with my cup

Do any of you cup owners live anywhere near London (Acton)

i am having problems with my cup and need another cup owner to drive my car as a comparison to theirs. I am very paranoid about my car and the way it handles. I have taken the car back to renault many times, they dont know what the problem is. You lot might think im mad but the only way to deal with this is by another cup driver.

Please please help me, i work right near the A40 motorway near the flagship renault dealer in park royal.

Can you please let him know or if your ever around the area we might be able to sort something out, if it can be arranged that would be great.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RAY 187 on 13 November 2003

I am very paranoid about my car and the way it handles.
The Cup is a handful mate, especially in the wet and some people do not expect this...

Can you describe what you think is wrong?!

Nissan R35 GT-R

Get a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s all round and your problems pale into insignificance.

No honestly - they really are that good!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i find the cup feels quite twitchy although it always seem to go around corners well enough if i think sod it and just keep going.dont like it in the wet though.

Cheers for the response lads.

The steering is too sensitive any little pot hole seems to alter the handling of the car. I know all about the cup and torque steer, but i really have to grip the steering otherwise its all over the place.

Even when braking it pulls in both directions, also when driving on the motorway i can never keep the car in a straight line, im always having to adjust the steering to correct the problem. I had the car tracked and balanced last week at one of these independent garages with all the laser equipment. I have taken the car back to the dealer loads of times thats why i was asking for another cup driver to test drive the car and compare it to there own car. Honestly lads the car really does pull in all directions when accelerating and braking its beginning to piss me off big time.

Weeman sucks ****

The clio 172s do suffer from tram lining, and mine did. Especially when the tyres are coming to an end. How are yours? Mine does still jump and pull about a little.

Whats it like on a smooth, flat road? I find theres quite a difference and change when Im on a new, smooth road.

I have a cup and think there may be something wrong with the handling too. If you go round a tight right bend at any speed it makes a rattling sound like something is loose - Renault told me there was no problem when it was in for a service but I read somewhere about something which goes wrong with them in the front suspension region but cant remember what it is. If you find out I would like to know - Dont live anywhere near you though. It also always pulls left on the motorway - The steering wheel has to be slightly of centre to get it to go straight.

Some times it does feel a bit weird though. Will be taking it back to the dealer soon.

I know what you mean Stuartjw

Thats what i meant in my comments about always having to correct the steering wheel, its so annoying.

I have replaced all my tyres with the contis that came with the car, so all the tyres are new no more than 5 weeks old now.

On smooth surfaces the handling does improve, but as soon as you drive on rough surfaces the car is all over the place, the steering is constantly twitching around if that makes any sense, sorry about any spelling mistakes, it constantly pulls all over the place, my dealer cant do anything about this, got the car booked in so the renault technical experts can have a look.

172 Cup

Exactly the same with me. Any sign of a rough or bumpy surface and the car twitches all over the road. If I try to accelerate hard on a bumpy road I end up on the wrong side of the road in oncoming traffic!

Any Cup owners in the West Mids willing to take me out in theirs?

Tramlining, torque steer, wheelspin, difficulty staying in lane when accelerating hard, the Cup has it all. Ive had mine over a year now and it took me ages to relax behind the wheel. My steering precision has improved, my turn-in timing has improved, wet weather driving is no longer a danger to life. Its a much trickier car to drive fast than my trackday Cupra 16v ever was but I now find the Cup a much much faster car. Performance comes at a price - time in the seat, learning. Stick with it guys, itll be a helluva ride...

The rattling through the steering is the rotary switch needing replaced. I used to find mine a bloody handful as well, until like the guy above says, I got used to it & relaxed a little. It does tramline- even on relatively new tarmaced sections of my local motorway at anything above 95 it feels like there is a constant general crosswind. But you will find that any car with fairly large wheels & rubber will give you that, especially when ,like mine, they have not got too much life left.

As the last post says, stick with it a bit & get used to it- it only gets better.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by repoman on 14 November 2003

Just been quoted £43.89 for the FI gsd-3 all in, 195-50-15
Thats the advantage of the mk1 172... cheaper tyres...

It is not dangerous to have a faulty rotary switch is it? It does not seem to effect the handling though. Just done a wet backroad very fast and it was a total laugh. I love it. It is definetely the best car I have ever had.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 13 November 2003

I live in Kent/SE London..and would be happy to test drive your car! :D
Did I see you the Thursday on the A2 about 4 oclock using the local traffic lane near Eltham Station/ Falconwood

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 14 November 2003

But the Contis really are bad...
What tyres do you have on yours Rich the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s !! ?
Currently the standard Contis but the last Cups & 172s (past couple of months) have Michelin Pilots on, so you wont get Contis on yours...