ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Help With Subs & Amps

Im looking at getting a couple of subs and an amp 2 put in my clio but i have no idea where 2 start.

Ive got a sony headunit, the standard tweeters and 4 speakers that come with the car, it sounded great until i heard a set of 10" & 12" subs with 2 amps in a 106 2day.

One more thing that i need help with is where 2 put a set of subs in a box with an amp,cos i need 2 get 2 the spare wheel.

Cheers

Anyone got any ideas,that would be great.

hi there
ive got 2 15" subs in my boot with 2 amps. it takes up the whole boot but does go in.

for day to day use u wont need anything more than a single 12" to be honest but 2 12"s will sound mint. the benefit u get from the 12" is that it can handle the punchy bass aswell as drop low for the rnb/ drum n bass tracks. it depends on your preference of music really but 12" is a good medium.

box wise, is the spare wheel in a well in the boot or in a cage under the car? either way the box has gotta go in the boot but if its in a cage then u should easily be able to gain accesss to the screw/bolt to release the cage, however if its in a well then u will have to take the box out everytime u change a tyre, dont mean to sound rude but u may be better going for a single sub if thats the case as it takes 2 people to get the double box out of my car. so stuck on a country road late at night u dont wanna be messin around with going 10 rounds with a sub box hehe

as for which to go for it depends on your budget.

Hi

Do you have a new shape Clio or the old shape?

You could have a couple of 12" subs in seperate boxes with the amp mounted on the back of the seat. This would mean that you would only have to move 1 of the boxes to get to the spare wheel.

For the system to sound really nice you would have to amp up all the speakers in the car. That would improve the clarity of the sound. I would go for the following:

5" or 6" components in the front doors
6" components in the back
4 channel amp to run both sets of comps
Monoblock or powerful 4 channel amp for subs
2 x 12" subs with double or split single boxes.

It depends on what your budget is like but if you want me to put some prices and specs together for you, I can do.

Russ (Evil ICE Car Audio)

www.evilice.freeservers.com
4 channel amp

At last! Someone else with the sense to know that components are the best idea for the back as well as the front! For years Ive been trying to explain to people convinced it makes for a great SQ system to have 6x9 co-axials in the back. First of all, round speakers are the most efficient shaped design. Unless you want more surface area in a small box (eg. Solobarics) or you need ovals to fit a limited-sized manufacturer nspeaker location, round is the way to go. Theres a very good reason why speakers for high-end home systems have been made round for decades and decades! As for the component vs co-ax thing, its simple: its much better to have an intact mid-bass cone which doesnt have a wire poking through it to feed the tweeter! Also, having proper separate circuit x-overs is much better than a small in-line cap.

BMW 320d Sport

Well Im no expert but I always thought for SQ it was best to have the speakers you actually need. Thus my system is a pair of high passed 5" coaxes (and they do sound a lot better than other mid tweeter combos that I auditioned) in the front, powered by 2 channels of the amp, 2 other channels bridged to power a boxed 10" sub in the boot, and a pair of 8s in the rear just to provide a bit of low/midrange fill - the sort that fills in the frequencies you want but only up to around 150hz so theres basically no treble in the back at all, its all up front. I reckon it sounds sweet, not the sort of system that you can even hear outside the car but its perfect inside.

ive got components front and back with a set of 16 cm co axials speakers in the rear quart pannel the fronts are 16 cm alpines and the rear are 20 cm vibes with kickers in the quarts and they sound wicked and loud with one 12 inch kicker L7,i dont like 6"9s personlly very over rated if you ask me a pair of 20s in the rear will cain the crap of a set of 6"9s pioneer even do a set of 25 cm speakers (10 inchs) 450 watts and 400 watts for the 20 cm set

round speakers always have better SQ than any other shape. Even the square kicker subs dont have the same SQ values as the old round ones. The square subs are designed for SPL and were a statement by Kicker to say "It can be done"

I went down the same route with the Evil ICE demo car. There are 19 speakers in the front of the car alone. Obviously they are not all needed but it was to show it could be done. Of those, 9 of them are 6x9s but the way they have been boxed in mean that they produce good quality sound.

The same goes with the subs. There are 2x 15s and 2x12s which is a definate no no for SQ. However it was mainly designed for show purposes but does sound nice too.

Russ
Evil ICE Car Audio

Thanks Russ, mine is a phase 2 and the spare wheel is in a well in the boot. My budget would have to be £400, i was thinking about getting 2 12" subs in seperate boxes.

I did have a brainwave (unusual for me hehe)I thought about getting rid of my parcel shelf and getting some very thick MDF,cutting 2 holes so that the boxes sit level in the MDF. Which would replace the parcel shelf,i could then mount the amps inside the boot.I am going 2 look on the net and at a local place near me to see if i can get anymore ideas.

Thanks 4 ur help every1

Hi Bryony

Ive worked out a couple of prices for you working around your budget. I would recommend the following spec:

2x 12" Directed Audio SVC Pro+ subs (300 watts RMS)
Directed Audio 400 Amplifier
2x Single 12" boxes
Total = £399 including VAT and delivery

However if you could go over your budget slightly you could get the system below which would be much better than the one above and provide superb sound quality.

2x 12" Directed Audio DVC Pro+ Subs
Rockford Fosgate 250M Amplifier
2x 12" Single Boxes
Total = £429 inc vat and delivery

This setup would supply at least twice the amount of power than the other one due to the amp running at 1ohm. You would be looking at about 500Watts RMS going to the subs which is about right for an SQ system.

Let me know what you think

Russ
(Evil ICE Car Audio)
www.evilice.freeservers.com