ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

need some advise on 172's

I'm looking for a new car and came across a clio 172 on a 51plate its in really good condition 80k on the clock is that high it had the cambelt done 3years ago at 58k, basically i needs to know the pro's and con's of getting a car like this as i've heard there unrealiable and can sometimes suffer with problems is this true,and also its really cheep he's asking for 2550 with 1years tax and 11months mot. we've seen it its only just down the road from us. just need a few opinions who's own them as i dont want to rush it to somthing and then regret it. heres a few pics not the best quality

10052009649.gif

10052009648.gif

53 Clio's & counting
hi and welcome mate, do a quick search as the pro's and cons have been covered a million times :)

looks a nice one

personally, i think one of the most important things to be sure of when buying one of these is the condition of the gearbox - it's a recurring theme

Focus RS mk1
everycar with miles on it has its problems specialy renault, its all part of the love. gearbox and clutch i would be looking at though, also its going to need another aux belt soon if it was done when the cambelt was done.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Personally I think that looks really nice. Those alloys suit it nicely and it looks a fairly tidy car.
Mileage isn't really that much of an issue if it's been looked after properly IMO. Mine's done 69k now and feels quicker than ever. No problems with the engine to report.
My gearbox is fine too. If it's not been hammered into gear and the clutch engages without issue then I'd definitely buy it. Seems like a bargain, and with the money you could save by not buying a lower mileage example you'll be able to afford to get the aux belt done.
If you're really concerned about running costs then they're probably not right for you, although there's no reason why a well looked after example would be unreliable. I've only had little niggles with mine (stuff that's been cheap to sort).
More to the point, they're great fun and it doesn't take much to love them. Even if things do go wrong the pro's outweigh the cons (IMO of course).

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
everycar with miles on it has its problems specialy renault, its all part of the love. gearbox and clutch i would be looking at though, also its going to need another aux belt soon if it was done when the cambelt was done.

That's absolute nonsense!

If a car Is religiously maintained and cherished, miles are nothing to the RenaultSport units.

There are plenty of cars on here with big miles that are maintained and still run sweet as a nut, carefull how you be swinging your handbag good sir

rps13
The wheels and cup splitter point toward someone who at least has a good clue about clios. Paint looks pretty good too, monaco can be quite hard to look after plus it still has the original black front bumper stickers on from the factory.

Check the service history for things like engine mounts, exhausts, gearbox.

It's a 51 plate so will need to have had a new battery at least.

Really put your head in the service history, good luck and Welcome to CS.

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The wheels and cup splitter point toward someone who at least has a good clue about clios. Paint looks pretty good too, monaco can be quite hard to look after plus it still has the original black front bumper stickers on from the factory.

Check the service history for things like engine mounts, exhausts, gearbox.

It's a 51 plate so will need to have had a new battery at least.

Really put your head in the service history, good luck and Welcome to CS.

Cup packs don't apply to the 172

Clio 172 RS2
Looks spot on!

Phase 2 are the ones to get! : )

But contact the seller and take it for a test-drive... see if the RS is something for you, how it drives etc.
Unreliable? RS are pretty sturdy cars overall, can take a beating. Sure there are somes niggles and faults. But not that big of a issue. (do a search to see what to look for/pay attention too)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Well my mk2 172 is still on the original gearbox,clutch now done 106,000 miles.

Insignia SRi
Mines on 77k now and apart from changing the battery iv had nothing go wrong with it in 2 years, I have mateched inlets, Group N remap and panel filter and feels better than ever. My service history says it had a new gearbox and clutch at 45k though. If its been looked after and serviced regularly then you'll be fine mate.

Focus RS mk1
That's absolute nonsense!

If a car Is religiously maintained and cherished, miles are nothing to the RenaultSport units.

There are plenty of cars on here with big miles that are maintained and still run sweet as a nut, carefull how you be swinging your handbag good sir

what you have said is HORSE SH!T, mine is maintained and cherished serviced every 6000 miles and on a ramp every month for a once over yet i have still had problems! i drive it how it was built for, things do go wrong FACT just things go wrong more if not maintained! some problems i have had would still have happened even if driven by a granny FACT! your trying to say if driven carefully nothing will ever go wrong? every car is different some strong some weak. go boil you head!:rasp:

Clio Sport 172 Mk2 Ph2
mine is similar milage, check for rough idle when warm, heating that stays or cold regarldess of how its set. rear exausht braket not expensive but irratating when it does go. Headlight washers. mine is a 2001 with 80k miles now i have had the above done she drives like a dream, however i do have a bad clunk when entering first gear. so hope i covered everything.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
what you have said is HORSE SH!T, mine is maintained and cherished serviced every 6000 miles and on a ramp every month for a once over yet i have still had problems! i drive it how it was built for, things do go wrong FACT just things go wrong more if not maintained! some problems i have had would still have happened even if driven by a granny FACT! your trying to say if driven carefully nothing will ever go wrong? every car is different some strong some weak. go boil you head!:rasp:

First off, gather your toys and put them back in your hand bag pee wee.

I never said anything about driving it carefully ass pirate i just said that if maintained they normally last i.e not abusing it. Its not my fault you got a friday afternoon car

Focus RS mk1
First off, gather your toys and put them back in your hand bag pee wee.

I never said anything about driving it carefully ass pirate i just said that if maintained they normally last i.e not abusing it. Its not my fault you got a friday afternoon car

will gather my toys when you gather yours, pee wee :D love that film! cars can break even when not abused im a tech i see it everyday, http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=404597&highlight=whats+gone+wrong+with+your+car this thread should open your eyes into the world of renaultsport! lol at ass pirate you better take a seat your next;)

Clio 172 RS2
KT!

Talk shop with owner...

Have a testdrive, see the maintenance history, recipes and so on.

Then let it all sink in... pro's v. con's.

Good luck,

Mine's got 47k on it now never had a problem with it. Other than servicing, and (lots of) tyres I've put the sum total of a rear number plate bulb in it. It get's driven as intended hence 6k per set of front tyres and other than one interior trim rattle it's been a trouble free 4.5 years.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R