ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some audio advice

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Firstly apologies for anything that doesnt make sense here, Ive been drinking...

...I currently have a 1.2 clio which up until about 3 weeks ago had a empeg installed in it, I removed it because in less than a months time I should get my 172....

It came as quite a shock after removing the empeg when I heard the quality of the original stock headunit, i.e crap. I wasnt going to install the empeg into the 172 (despite being the coolest headunit around...), but I think I may have to now.

I have a genesis profile 4 amp which is really nice, in the 1.2 I had infinity reference speakers, 552i in the rear and 505cs components in the front.

I never really liked the infinitys, they always sounded like they had a bit too much treble on them, harsh at high frequencies, I guess theyd be alright if you listened to dance style music, but im into stuff like korn, soad, nirvana, pearl jam etc.

Does anybody out there have this amp in their clio and can recommend any speakers which dont have a problem with high frequencies, the guy in the shop recommended some pheonix speakers because they were much smoother than the infinitys and he said that the infinitys can be harsh, but Id actually forgotton this when I bought them (a year or so ago).

I had the last install professionally done, but Im tempted to try this one myself, so any advice would be gratefully received....

Thanks.

Adrian

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

ive already got the amp! Ive had it running for over a year...its just my speakers that I dont like....and the fact that im changing car! I agree, genesis amps rule!

...Id prefer components as well that drop straight into the 172, the infinitys didnt....

Crikey, you spent 800 quid on fronts! yeek!

Adrian

sorry just looked again yes u do have a profile 4, genisis now do components

they do sound really good from what i have herd of them

but it is down to how and what u like ure music to sound like

what area do u live in ?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

see above ;P

..mainly rock/metal, korn, soad, incubus, pearl jam etc....

..its quite hard to get an idea of what stuff will sound like in the car, no shops have my head unit, they dont tend to have profile 4s plugged in to listen to different speakers...then if I choose theyll probably sound different in the car anyway...argh!

I live in cambridge, my last install (and bits were purchased from) cambridge car audio, they did a good job, thing is I need to change the fronts as well as having it installed, so Im tempted to do it myself (I took the install out of my current clio, so I kind of know where things need to be placed!) and use the cash on fronts....choices. choices.

Thanks for the replies!

Adrian

lol!

I run all genesis amps to - they rock - good choice!

& i had those EXACT speakers! (both sets) in my 106 quiksilver! really good speakers for the price.... I did fine the treble was a tad high on them! but Focal & infinity are known for their good or high? treble. Some people prefer this (I know I do) As I like to have a good vocal song or trance tune to whop on and it sounds absolutely awesome!

But i must admit... after I got a sub, It improved the system all round as it kinda got rid of the harshness of the tweeters! you dont notice it at all when the sub is on! Have you got a sub at all?

As for specific speakers for rock... I couldnt suggest any... as no matter what speakers you have, when you turn up rock & metal it will never sound good IMHO!
My focals & PGs seem to handle capdown & Limp bizkit quite well... although when its a very heavy part of the song... all the different instruments and parts of the track seem to muddle up & kinda like distort against each other even tho i can have it way louder on a trance or hip hop type tune!

But in my opinion, Focal win hands down for overall speaker quality... You could find out more about MB quarts? as alot of people suggest them.... but Like i said, I dont know any speakers specifically meant or good for the type of music u have mentioned.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

glad Im not the only one who noticed the high treble with them....

I havent got a sub.....I dont particularly want one.

Oh well, I guess Ill have to have a trip to some shops to see what I can find out....

Thanks.

Adrian