ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some opinions/advice 172boom

clio 172
Alrite lads need some opinions on a knakerd engine. I bought a clio 172 a couple weeks back . It was making a sqeeking nice from a aux tensioner . The cars cam belt snapped last year . It came with a receipt with new cambelt head gasket head bolts 16 new vales couple new valve guides and a couple other things. After a couple days ownership I took it to a local garage for new aux belt + tensioner and I asked for a service wile he was at it . Upon collection the mechanic said it's making the noise because a cam hyd tensioner is worn and will he need replacing . On starting the car on idol it sounded nice no sqeeking/rattling so anyways I pulled off took it easy a couple hounded yard then pressed the accelerate a touch it started making a ticking noise . (Bearing in mind it never made this noise before) . Half a mile down the road made a few funny noises lost loads of power so I cruised into a lay bay . By that time smoke was coming out the exhaust/air filter . So I phoned the garaged back up he came looked at it n said looks like it's either spat a valve or rings have gone. Fuuuuuming!!!!!I had my cousin tow it back to his house . We removed the engine yesterday after many struggles. Upon inspection cylinder two had a valve upside down . ???? Wtf I checked the dip stick out of frustration (I'm no mechanic) It was a good inch overfull ??? That's after loosing god knows how much through the airfilter/zost.Sorry it's so long winded . Just after some options on what you lads think . Cheers for any help . Max

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Take it back, the garage have obviously fucked something up. Over filled with oil is a VERY bad thing to do!

Transit & Death trap
If I've read this right, you've already taken the engine out, yes?... If so, I very much doubt the garage will entertain any liability.
Ideally it should have been towed straight back to them and they can diagnose what actually happened.

Mec 350 slk manual
Yes the engine is removed but it's all complete . Blocks all as one .
With removing the engine I think you will lend up playing bat & ball with the garage who done the work, so maybe better off looking for a good second hand engine and put that in .

clio 172
Looks like I might have to take it on the chin then. Surely even a pattern part should last more than a few month.

Transit & Death trap
Yes the engine is removed but it's all complete . Blocks all as one .

I still very much doubt they will want to know and having read your original post again, this really, really should have gone back to the garage straight away!
But what's done is done and if you've managed to remove the engine OK, you shouldn't have too much drama fitting a good replacement.
I'd cut my losses with the garages involved and source a decent used engine and refit it yourself.

clio 172
The garage towed it back to there's . It was there for roughly 3 days I kept phoning daily asking if he had made a start on it all he said was not yet got a few jobs to do I explained I'm self employed and times money . Anyways cheers lads ill still give him a call tomorrow .