ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need to do a few bits on Windows

LY 182
Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of clarification.

I've been searching about running Windows on the Mac. I know there's various options, with the general "best method" being to install Windows via Bootcamp and then using something like Vmware Fusion to be able to boot into it / run it native.

I've just watched the demo videos on Parallels and they look more suited to my needs.

All I need from Windows is a few tools / scripts that are Linux/Windows based. I wouldn't spend much time on them at all. I would also be tempted to fire up Championship Manager 01/02 as well as I love that game!

For those needs would it just be easier for me to run either Parallels or VMware fusion just from within the Mac OS?

Say for some work I do, I need to take a datafeed file for a merchant from an affiliate network. (Big file full of product, description, image, price, etc). What I'd want to do is download the file like normal via Mac. Then go into Parallels / VMware fusion to open up the file and edit / manipulate it with the Windows based scripts / apps. Once the file is complete to how I want it, I'd then go back into Mac and upload it to my web server via FTP/SFTP.

Sorry to sound like a newb. But I'd assume in that circumstance it's just easier to be able to switch the Mac on as normal and then go into the Windows stuff that way?

Also when you just load up Parallels / VMware Fusion from within the Mac do you still require a copy of XP / Win 7 or are these included within the software?

Biiig thanks. :star:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I have had Parallels in the past and it runs fine. You'll need a copy of a Windows OS too, though. It doesn't come with it.

I use Bootcamp now though, because I found the connectivity better.