ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Neons for interior

Silver Clio 1.2 RN 5 Door
Hey guys, im a new driver, just got my first car, a s reg clio 1.2..
really new to all this, fancy doin my car up a bit, as its quite oldish and plain looking, so thinking of gettin some blue neons inside to go with the silver paintwork.. er is hardwiring a better idea than just using the cigarette lighter.. or that my best bet?
also will it drain the battery a hell of a lot by doin this, whats the best way of doing it all, cheers
Mattiee

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
sorry mate but thats got chav written all over it, they completely ruin the inside of a car, just my opinion though...

in answer to your question though im pretty sure they are easy enough to hardwire in with a simple switch hidden somewhere out of eyesight.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
theres a guide on here somewhere on how to hardwire it into the cig lighter. looked a pretty straight-forward guide.

pepsi69 i agree with what you said mate, it does sound chavvy, i re read wa i put, all i got it 2 lights to (more panels than neons) jus to go under my footwells, jus to lighten the floor .. they luk alrite, ill post pics on once i installed them. But cheers anyway

1.8 Civic EX
I got some on mine...just cut the ciggy connector off the end, then run it up the door pillard and to the inerior light then they turn on when you open the door..,..

does sound a chav as you like but most people are supprised at how good looks...

how hard it to do ryan? seein as i no absolutely nothin about wiring or anythin in a car. you reckon ill need an extra battery or wil it be ok just runnin off the 1?

1.8 Civic EX
no probs I thought you knew me then as my actuall name is Ryan anyway! haha

easy as piss! simply chop the ciggy connector off the end of the wires, strip them back a bit, pull apart the interior light, remove the bulb, attach the wires to + and - where the bulb was and feed the wire across under the roof lining at the top of the front window, then down the "A" piller and into the foot well.

no need for extra batteries or anything....they will turn on when you open the dorr or if you want them on anyother time then just use the switch that would normally turn on the interior light...

mind you...what neons have you got? if it's the ones form Halfrauds then you'll be ok....but some neons have the resistor in the ciggy connector bit so you can't chop it off unless you wire another one in some how...

Ph 1 172
could always wire it into remote lead coming out of head unit to amp, with an inline fuse and switch. that way you can turn amp off it you really want to and turn it on with the lights as well.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have blue neons in my footwells.
They are just run off the batery with a switch (beside headlight level adjuster) to knock them off
The switch is also wired up to illuminate the LEDs in my crossovers which are moulded into my doorcard :)

172 CUP
I had these in my last car (saxo) I fed the power to it from the cigi power and put a second switch in the switched cable so i could shut them off altogether if needed but put the second part of the switch into the return of the sidelights.

so when i turned the sidelights on they came on but i had a switch so i could have them off if i needed to. Worked really well.

RS Clio 200
lol it does sound horribly chavvy..... best bet is to hard wire to the ciggy lighter....
snip wires to lighter, stick in a chocolate block and route the power to the lighter and both lights. that will of course be on whenever ignition is, which is fine. if you want a switch though and dont smoke, you could replace the lighter with a button.

Renault Clio
Hmm, talk about similar tastes, just put a pair of blue cold cathode tubes in myself. Stuck 2 switches in, 1 linked to sidelights and one inside ash tray (bit like the guy above).

I have to say they dont look bad at all, ust enough light to illuminate the floor, not too much reflection off the driver.

Just wire straight upto the battery with a separate fuse, can have them on whenever ya want then and not only when ignition is on. It's how I've got all mine set up anyway

ive seen a book on clio's in halfords, bout custom design, you think it be best bet to get one of them to show me how?!

i've got neons in my footwells too ...... i like them , dont tell anyone about the extra weight ....lol

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
why waste any time and money on neons, thats good beer money or even petrol money.. better yet, buy a girl a few beers and drive her home to bugger her..

or get neons

Renault Clio
I paid 2.50 for mine off eBay... free postage.. lol.. I'm sure the guy must have lost money on them... :-s

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ Now that's a bump & a half!

In a 172 - I wouldn't bother mate, spend it on something nice in the engine bay :)

Clio Campus Sport 07
It is actually surprising how good footwell and seat neons look.
I use LED's (had them in my punto) just waiting to put them back into my new clio.
Everyone i told thought it sounded chavvy until they saw them.
LED's are a little brighter and less fragile for under seats and footwells cause theyre less likely to smash if they get kicked.

I would run them from the battery in my clio but just getting the 12V sub power through that grommet was hard enough. I plan to do it from the cig lighter.

I'll see if i can find some pics of the punto lights for now, and get the clio ones up once theyre in!

A

andyjm28

LED2.gif

^^ Mine, a nice glow is good
running off cigarette lighter which is fine but only when engine is on!
took a while to trim/hide all wires down but hey :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
all i did for mine,
was run all 4 pairs of wires (1 in each footwell, and 1 under each seat) into 1 in parallel, then wire them into the power feed that illuminates the door locking switch,
easy as tinkle,
though i later wired in a switch that now remains off most of the time lol,