ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NEST vs HIVE - smart thermostats

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone used anything other than nest hive etc?

Wonder if there is any apps on your phone that can connect to a smart plug via WiFi instead? If that's even a thing.
I'm in a rented house so can't just fit off my own back

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Wonder if there is any apps on your phone that can connect to a smart plug via WiFi instead? If that's even a thing.

unless I’m mistaken what you mean, that’s pretty much how they all work?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
To do what ? Heating ? Probably not..

Plugs and lamps ?! Yes. But you can always get a Hive hub and do those through it anyway.

For the heating/HW, you'd just need someone to install the boiler stuff.. could always ask the landlord !?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Bought Nest for £168 from Screwfix, and have a ‘Nest approved’ fitter fitting it for £89 next week. Strangely looking forward to it, im getting old.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Got a new boiler being fitted in a few months, going form an old back boiler to a combi so picked up a gen3 Nest for (£159 on trading depot!). Looking forward to being able to set a temp and have hot water on demand rather than in three hours time!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Bought Nest for £168 from Screwfix, and have a ‘Nest approved’ fitter fitting it for £89 next week. Strangely looking forward to it, im getting old.

just to make you feel better, the one that’s now £178 at screw fix was £100 not so long ago and it’s so easy to fit. I’d fit them all days for £89 a go!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
just to make you feel better, the one that’s now £178 at screw fix was £100 not so long ago and it’s so easy to fit. I’d fit them all days for £89 a go!

I assumed it would be easy to fit.. just thought mine could be a bit different as my current set up is so old. Not a combi boiler or digital thermostat.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I assumed it would be easy to fit.. just thought mine could be a bit different as my current set up is so old. Not a combi boiler or digital thermostat.

mines old too, an old Honeywell thermostat. But was really simple.

love switching the heating on one the way home though. Well worth it.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got a condensing boiler, swapping out the thermostat in the lounge won’t be a problem but how easy is the Heat Link bit to install to the boiler itself? Do I keep my programmer in the kitchen cupboard also?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I’ve got a condensing boiler, swapping out the thermostat in the lounge won’t be a problem but how easy is the Heat Link bit to install to the boiler itself? Do I keep my programmer in the kitchen cupboard also?

the heat link replaces your current thermostat. Then the new thermostat tell the heat link to switch on and off the boiler.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I'm not sure about the others but with nest it wouldn't be to difficult to fit it then remove it when you leave.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172

I've used the Samsung SmartThings stuff at work, and linked with an Aeotec Smart Switch you can do remote On/Off and stuff. Not sure on smart scheduling stuff as we never got that deep into it. Also works with most stuff that are Z-Wave/Zigbee spec. We had it working with Osram RGB Bulbs. Basically the hub connects to the internet, you connect all the devices to the hub, then you log into the Samsung account registered with the hub and you can control it from any device with the app and an internet connection (ie 4G when you're out and about etc)

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Glad I didnt try myself.. the ‘Nest approved’ bloke has been here since 5 and doesn’t appear to be finishing any time soon. He just smashed his hand and swore and ranted in a foreign language 😂

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That was eventful. Something tripped which then meant there was no power to the thermostat.. we had no idea where the fuse was.. found it in the end. Just need to paint around it. Very clever!

image.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hive kit at £135 at the moment. Comes with thermostat, receiver and hub. I think I might just buy one.

Don't the Nest thermostats require 12V power?

I was wondering the other day how I would wire them up in my house when the current thermostats have a 230V supply? I'd ideally want them to be installed in the same location as existing.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
How hard are these to fit? Was just about to order one and the first date they can install it on is 23rd January 😂