ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4K TV's

M2 Competition
Back in stock, tv was £949 the other day. Now £900. No soundbars available for deals.
Wish had bought at £800 with free soundbar. such regret.

I think it’s still 800 in Richer sounds. I know, what a deal to miss!

Anything else good about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Anyone pretty please.. hopefully purchase this week.

Best TV around £500.
50inch.

Go go go.

My mum & dad bought a 50 inch 4k Panasonic I think from Costco the other week, I think it cost around that. I don't know any of the details of it, only when they called me up in the shop to research it 😂 I'll find out.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I recently picked up a Hisense H55N6800 for a bargain price of £525, reviews on avforums were great so bit the bullet, picture quality is epic. Paired with a 4k Yamaha RX483 AV amplifier, it's a proper setup.

IMG_2457.jpg

Reactions: Nik

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any specific features you want the TV to have? Does it have to have HDR? Or just a decent 4K picture? If you want 4K with 'proper' HDR then you'll need to stretch your budget a fair bit. Will you be playing games on it? Movies? General tv watching?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks all.

Any specific features you want the TV to have? Does it have to have HDR? Or just a decent 4K picture? If you want 4K with 'proper' HDR then you'll need to stretch your budget a fair bit. Will you be playing games on it? Movies? General tv watching?

It's going to be a bedroom TV.. albeit a big room. Mainly Films on Netflix and COD on Xbox One. I don't even know the difference between 4k, HDR etc.. so i'm just looking for the best bang for buck really. I'm coming from a 32' LG which was bought 8 years ago, so will be a big step up.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to suggest a smaller size so that you can spend a little extra on better features BUT, as you say, you have a large room hence need the size. So... considering your budget and the fact you are looking for an upgrade then I would look at the Hisense H55N6800 that @Gavin. mentions above. It's a pretty solid panel overall and well-priced at the moment. It's not the best for gaming as it has a relatively high input lag (some 32ms+) but it's probably not noticeable / an issue unless you play competitively and need ultra fast twitch reactions. It also does a half-decent job of minimising motion blur in fast-paced scenes. You will need to switch it into the 'gaming' mode though otherwise input lag will be even worse in 'normal' modes.

Also, it's not a true HDR (high dynamic range) as it uses an 8-bit panel and FRC. In a nutshell it doesn't have the colour range of higher priced sets nor can it deliver true colour accuracy due to the lack of precision compared to 10-bit sets. It uses FRC to 'fake' colour representation (by quickly flicking between two colours to fake the eye into seeing an intermediate colour between the two flicked-between colours) but this is not something you'll probably care about given your circumstances and upgrade needs! :) The HDR is a fancy way of saying the tv can display an extended range of brightness values from dark to intense bright colours. However, as said, this is not a 'true' HDR so you won't be able to see truly intense brightness as the output is quite low in terms of peak values. That said, it will be fine for standard stuff so it's not something I'd worry about in this case. It's a solid 4K set and you won't get much better at the price to be fair (not at the moment at least).

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
HDR is so much more important than the extra resolution in my opinion, it's worth spending for it (of course providing you have the capability to use it).

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I don't see the point in buying a 4k tv without though.
My mate regrets it now, when his little pop-up appears on his 4k player :)

Most people buy TV's too small as it is for the room, we haven't decorated yet and the way we have our room set up we sit waaaay too far away from the TV to see anything different in terms of resolution.

HDR you can a mile off!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I would agree to a point mate. I love the extra vibrance that HDR brings and am somewhat spoilt with my current setup. However, not everyone can (or wants) to drop a LOT of money on a TV but still want to experience 4K, especially now the likes of Netflix, Sky Q, Amazon, YouTube, etc. have a fast-growing library of UHD content to offer. The difference between HD and UHD is significant and a tv set that is sized right for the room in which it is being viewed can really highlight that increase in pixel density.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
That's my point - There's a huge percentage of people who don't buy the right size TV, often very undersized as they're scared of a big panel.
My other mate in point, his 4K tv is tiny in his room - where he sits it looks no different than 1080p, or even 720p!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks for that huge response @SharkyUK - i'll measure my room later to see if 50inch is necessary. Saying that, when i play the xbox I like to sit quite close.. about 1.5m currently with my 32inch ha.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK Pillow to TV will be 4metres, so maybe go a bit smaller if it gets me a better TV? Thank you for your help
No worries mate.

As a rule of thumb, the 'best' place to be is at a distance (for mixed viewing) whereby the TV occupies about 30-35 degrees of your horizontal field of view... However, this is not always possible and you'll find that most folks won't even have their TV's at an optimal viewing distance anyway. It's often not practical or too expensive. In your case you really wouldn't want to be going smaller than 50" if you are around 4m away from the screen. For example, in the aforementioned ideal scenario you would be looking for a 85" set for mixed viewing and to get the best benefit from your 4K screen...!!!! I suspect that may be a little too much so I would look to stick with the 50-incher!

We tend to think of 50+ inch tv sets as being big, and they are compared to the typical set of yesteryear, and that we can therefore sit further away. But that is not the case such is the packed density of the higher resolution / quality displays. To get the benefit of the higher quality we need to be, as humans, sat close enough whereby our eyes can actually notice the differences that 4K UHD brings. It seems somewhat counter-intuitive! Otherwise we might as well just be watching 1080p HD :)

As it is a tv for the bedroom you perhaps wouldn't want a set that is too obtrusive anyway (although I cannot comment on your circumstances!) but I would stick at 50 as a minimum buddy. I hope that makes sense. :p

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
@SharkyUK Pillow to TV will be 4metres, so maybe go a bit smaller if it gets me a better TV? Thank you for your help

From a viewing distance of 4m your gonna need a 90” + screen to see 4K/2160p
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

It’s just another sales gimmick anything other than flagship models . When you get down to £1k-£500 market you might as well just do HD1080p as well as you can . If you can look for a pre loved/second hand OLED and the colours/screen brightness is a massive step up from led/plasma and it’ll do HD really well

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Wall mounted, my first ever piece of DIY (think the rad is pissed because TV is bang on). It's a tiltable mount, currently tilted but it doesnt seem to want to go flat. If i push against the TV it just raises the bottom of the mounts.

IMG_2194.JPG

image.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@SharkyUK sorry for bugging you, you seem clued up! I've only noticed it whilst watching The Grand Tour 4K on Amazon, i've noticed a green tint on everyones face.. why is this?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How green are we talking? Hulk or stare and it's there?

There was a tint of green on Jeremy Clarkson, and then when Anthony Joshua came on it was almost Hulk like.. obviously because of the white/black contrast. It's in 'HDR Dynamic mode' if it makes any difference.

IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate.

As @Daz. says, how bad is it? If it's really noticeable then there may be a fault with the panel itself. However, I suspect you probably just need a little bit of tweaking / calibration to eliminate it. Green tinting is quite common on a lot of sets, especially on the 'cheaper' sets (I say that with all due respect as the Hisense is a great set, so please don't take that as tv snobbery!) and can usually be fixed with a few minutes tweaking of settings.

The easiest way is to go into your tv colour settings (sadly I'm not familiar with Hisense settings though) and look for the colour temperature and hue options. Ensure that the tv is on 'standard' (default) temperature settings. If you have it set to 'warm' or 'cool' then that can introduce tinting. When that's set to default the next thing to try is playing with the hue colour setting. More often than not, the green tint can be offset by a slight tweak to that setting. It's very much a 'try changing it and see' approach though as each tv and environment is different. If playing with that setting does not work then look for individual settings that allow you to change the red / green / blue (RGB) colour components. Ensure these are set to default values and then try altering (reducing) the green component to see if you can offset it. It may require a bit of trial and error playing with the RGB colours to get it right for your setup. However, I suspect a change in hue will fix the issue as hue more often than not affects green-tinting on tvs.

Give it a go and see what happens... :smile:

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@SharkyUK I currently have it on 'cool' and putting it to Standard didnt make a difference. I'm plugged into an extension lead then into the mains. I've put a pic above btw.

M2 Competition
I went for the Samsung MU7000 in a 55”. Went with Richer sounds at £799 as there is one locally, and JL didn’t have any in stock.

It’s brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK I currently have it on 'cool' and putting it to Standard didnt make a difference. I'm plugged into an extension lead then into the mains. I've put a pic above btw.
Yeah - seen the pic mate. You must have posted whilst I was typing my reply :)
I would still recommend dropping the colour temperature back to standard whilst you try and eliminate the green tint mate. You might need to spend a little time playing with settings but the pic you posted suggests to me that it's not a serious panel issue and that you should be able to dial it out with a bit of tweaking. The human eye is generally more sensitive to green than any other colour hence we tend to notice if something is amiss.

The reason I asked about the connection to the electrical supply is that some people have found they suffered green tints by plugging through surge protectors or through power blocks under heavy load. I don't know why but there you go...!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I usually start turning all the s**t off, warm 2, auto colour and work from there.

HDR dynamic mode sounds like one of those crappy image boosters so I'd turn that off.

Is it just on Amazon stuff or other inputs?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I usually start turning all the s**t off, warm 2, auto colour and work from there.

HDR dynamic mode sounds like one of those crappy image boosters so I'd turn that off.

Is it just on Amazon stuff or other inputs?

Only noticed it on Amazon 4K, and that's the only 4K ive watched. All other stuff is absolutely spot on!