ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4K TV's

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I'm looking to updrade my 50" plasma to a 4K and very.co.uk have a load of deals on 4k TV's ATM. I have preordered the XboxOneX so need something that's gonna work well with that.

These are my 2 options atm as the specs/price seem good to me

50'' (wrong tech specs listed)
http://www.very.co.uk/philips-50pus...hd-freeview-play-and-ambilight/1600204294.prd

55''
http://www.very.co.uk/philips-55pus...1600204296.prd?crossSellType=item_page.recs_1

But there are loads more on there so have so much choice.

Would be great if anyone has some advice

Thanks

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
comes with 2 year warranty and has good reviews so that's why I'm tempted by one of these. Usually stick to Samsung but the ambient lighting is swinging it for me tbh

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Know nothing about the tvs but I had an ambilight as my first flat screen and loved it. Why it never really took off I'm not sure !

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
How much content will you be watching in 4k? If there's a decent mix of 1080p/i that may well look absolutely s**t, the 4k will look fine no doubt. That's why I've not gone 4k yet, 1080p on my Sony looks awesome. Even when the time comes I wont be bothering unless OLED/Quantum dot. If it's purely for the Xbox have you considered a HiSense?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
well its my main TV so will be watching plenty of freeview/films etc but I want the Xbox to look spot on for when I'm gaming so less bothered about what general tv looks like on it. Iv not really heard of Hisense before so a bit skeptical especially with the big named brands about

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got an LG 4K ultra something or another and I’m very very pleased with it..

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
We've got one of the Samsung 4K curved TV's - really impressed with it for the cost.

Bug

Megane rs250
My old plasma packed in this year didn't think I'd get anything as good as that thing but ended up buying a 4k LG 50 it's got an amazing picture but the speakers are rubbish

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
My old plasma packed in this year didn't think I'd get anything as good as that thing but ended up buying a 4k LG 50 it's got an amazing picture but the speakers are rubbish
Not really fussed by speakers as I have a sound bar anyways

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I will say (no offence to anyone) Samsung have one of the highest warranty rates for TVs, worth bearing in mind..

And that does align with my experience of their TVs as well. Both Samsung’s I’ve had have packed up just out of warranty. As did my parents, as did her parents. No coincidence.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What's your budget mate? The two you listed have quite a few reviews on different sites. Above average scores but let down by a lack of HDR brightness and cheap build quality (according to the reviews). Not bad though and a decent price point.

I've just bought the Samsung QE65Q8C Curved QLED and absolutely love it. Blown away by the quality. Bought it with the Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Bluetooth Wi-Fi 5.1.4 Sound Bar System With Wireless Subwoofer and the quality from that has blown me away, too. I've not had any problems with Samsung tv's before - still got two that work flawlessly despite coming up to being a decade old.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My only input is our LG tv has been daily free for about 6 years. Would like to upgrade to a better one though.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
What's your budget mate? The two you listed have quite a few reviews on different sites. Above average scores but let down by a lack of HDR brightness and cheap build quality (according to the reviews). Not bad though and a decent price point.

I've just bought the Samsung QE65Q8C Curved QLED and absolutely love it. Blown away by the quality. Bought it with the Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Bluetooth Wi-Fi 5.1.4 Sound Bar System With Wireless Subwoofer and the quality from that has blown me away, too. I've not had any problems with Samsung tv's before - still got two that work flawlessly despite coming up to being a decade old.

£5-600 ideally and needs to be available through very. Hdr i think will need to be spot on for what i want with gaming so maybe i need to take a look for one with a higher rating? Not too fussed on curved tbh just incase I ever wanted to wall mount it. I do have a soft spot for Samsung as my current tv has been fault free and their mobiles are always good

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Why does it need to be from very ?
Richer sounds or John Lewis will give you a much better warranty

Reactions: Ben

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
£5-600 ideally and needs to be available through very. Hdr i think will need to be spot on for what i want with gaming so maybe i need to take a look for one with a higher rating? Not too fussed on curved tbh just incase I ever wanted to wall mount it. I do have a soft spot for Samsung as my current tv has been fault free and their mobiles are always good
The cheaper HDR sets tend to, generally, offer the dimmer and poorer HDR implementations - some using fake methods to approximate HDR10, etc. to keep the costs down. Some sets, though, can offset this a little with their dedicated 'gaming' modes which can boost colour levels (although it won't improve the HDR situation per se).

The Samsung MU7000 is pretty good for SDR and HDR gaming as well as movies and general tv watching. Sadly it's a little more at around £850 for a 49" and around £999 for the 55".
http://www.very.co.uk/samsung-ue49mu7000txxu-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certified-hdr-1000-dynamic-crystal-colour-smart-tv-with-tvplus/1600217340.prd?_requestid=473601&Ntt=samsung mu7000

EDIT: Take a look here for ideas if gaming is your priority...

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tvs/
http://uk.ign.com/articles/the-best-4k-tvs-for-gaming

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
The cheaper HDR sets tend to, generally, offer the dimmer and poorer HDR implementations - some using fake methods to approximate HDR10, etc. to keep the costs down. Some sets, though, can offset this a little with their dedicated 'gaming' modes which can boost colour levels (although it won't improve the HDR situation per se).

The Samsung MU7000 is pretty good for SDR and HDR gaming as well as movies and general tv watching. Sadly it's a little more at around £850 for a 49" and around £999 for the 55".
http://www.very.co.uk/samsung-ue49mu7000txxu-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certified-hdr-1000-dynamic-crystal-colour-smart-tv-with-tvplus/1600217340.prd?_requestid=473601&Ntt=samsung mu7000

EDIT: Take a look here for ideas if gaming is your priority...

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tvs/
http://uk.ign.com/articles/the-best-4k-tvs-for-gaming

Thank you for taking a look, think £850 is a bit out of my budget unfortunately . There is a Philips in that list but its a slightly diff model to the ones I was looking at. The Panasonic and Samsung in the list are slightly smaller than I would like also tbh. I think I will end up trying this Philips out tbh as its going to be working out at £250 after I sell my current tv

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I wouldn't upgrade now for anything short of 4k with OLED/QLED, HDR and dolby vision.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
6 years, that’s a good effort. Not looked into the warranties you get but that seems very good, decent company too.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Also don't forget Black Friday is only a few weeks away.
TV's are usually one of the major discount items, Very get in on the fun as well IIRC??

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
Which plasma screen do you currently have ? And what is your viewing distance?

To cut a long story short,at my 10ft viewing distance I’d need a 90inch+ screen to see the extra pixels that come with UHD/4K. And with my budget of £600 that wasn’t going to happen.

Looking at the viewing distance calculator, a 60” screen is ideal for my front room for viewing Full HD, and with my then current screen being HD ready 720, I started looking at other plasma.

After reading lots of reviews/reading and joining an AVforum I bought a second hand Pioneer pdp lx6090 for £500. This thing is British and built like a tank. And I dare say you won’t find a better screen available for less than a grand

Just my 2pc worth

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
Why does it need to be from very ?
Richer sounds or John Lewis will give you a much better warranty

Could VERY well be he has an account , first time customers get an extra 10% off and interest free payments for 12mnth

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Deals on Very atm are very good (mind the pun) and seeing as the Xbox one x is out next week that's prompted the upgrade now. I can pay the tv off whenever I like in the next 12 months and not get charged any interest so perfect time for me to do it tbh.

I have ordered the Tv I linked so will let you all know what I think of it when I set it up :)

My current plasma is full 1080p 3D Samsung. Thing has been great for me in the 5 years I have had it so hoping the upgrade isnt going to disappoint me. Viewing distance is 2/3m but I tend to move the sofa right in front of the tv when gaming ☺

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Is there such a thing as a decent "budget" 4k TV?

Only really used for gaming and the odd TV show/movie so doesn't have to cost thousands nor does it have to be massive.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Had a few days with this tv now with the Xbox set up on it. It's managing to run HDR fine on the Xbox and Netflix. Games etc are looking fantastic. Ambilight is a great feature also. Very happy with my purchase at the moment and especially for £429. May just be that its a huge jump from my old plasma but I'm extremely pleased with the image quality.

Was expecting the quality of the actual tv to look a bit budget from reviews I have seen but personally think it looks very smart

Definitely recommending it for anyone on a budget at least :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Is there such a thing as a decent "budget" 4k TV?

Only really used for gaming and the odd TV show/movie so doesn't have to cost thousands nor does it have to be massive.

Panasonic TX-58EX700B (58")
It's a good tv and can be bought for around 800 quid. The HDR is dim compared to premium sets but it does an ok-ish job in games and movies, etc. Black levels are pretty good / deep and input lag is low - good for gaming.

Samsung UE49MU8000 (49")
A bit pricier at bang on £1k (give or take a few quid) and a little smaller at 49". Low input lag and good contrast ratio. Good black levels and decent HDR given the price point. Not bad for watching tv and movies, too (although that can depend also on the quality of the content being viewed).

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Panasonic TX-58EX700B (58")
It's a good tv and can be bought for around 800 quid. The HDR is dim compared to premium sets but it does an ok-ish job in games and movies, etc. Black levels are pretty good / deep and input lag is low - good for gaming.

Samsung UE49MU8000 (49")
A bit pricier at bang on £1k (give or take a few quid) and a little smaller at 49". Low input lag and good contrast ratio. Good black levels and decent HDR given the price point. Not bad for watching tv and movies, too (although that can depend also on the quality of the content being viewed).
That's still not the sort of budget I was hoping for haha.

My current t TV is a 8 or 9 year old Samsung unit so anything will be an upgrade on that haha.

Nothing at the lower end worth a look

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Parents want a new TV, Mother wants a curved one despite all my efforts to say otherwise.

Any opinion on Samsung UE55MU6220

Can get it for £650.

Any other recommendations for curved screens that don’t cost the earth?