ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Alloys

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Ok,

I have just picked my Daytona (Dezent) alloys up from Motorworld, so will be fitting them myself tomorrow.

But got a question. I have noticed that all the alloys are already balanced (which is good). I am confused to where each wheel goes on the Clio:

1 Alloy has got balance weights of 15g
1 Alloy has got balance weights of 20g
1 Alloy has got balance weights of 45g
1 Alloy has got balance weights of 50g

Are these balanced correctly, or do I need to amend these somehow?

Where the hell does I put the Alloys, bit confused on this one lads.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You should be able to put the wheels anywhere as they should all now be balanced. The way I understand balancing is that weights are tactically placed around the rim to counter the imbalance in the cast hence a balanced wheel with no wobble. May be wrong though.

Each wheel and tyre is balanced independantly therefore compensating for any misshape in either the cast of the whel or the tyre, personally id put the higher balanced rims on the rear thus minimising potential 'wheel wobble'. Practically though they can go anywhere you choose.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
172 Dave said:
Each wheel and tyre is balanced independantly therefore compensating for any misshape in either the cast of the whel or the tyre, personally id put the higher balanced rims on the rear thus minimising potential 'wheel wobble'. Practically though they can go anywhere you choose.

Sounds good enough to me
w00t.gif

I can't wait for the morning, so I can get em fitted
icon_rocks.gif

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
172 Dave said:
And you should have been supplied with (if needed) spigots + definitely new wheel nuts x 16

Yup got the 16 new wheels nuts. Also got 4 new locking nuts, as I had a garage earlier to take the standard locking nuts off. Cuz I didn't have the key, with great shame!

Don't think I need the spigots, what ever those are... Spigots?!
ermm.gif

The wheel should fit tightly on the raised part of the wheel hub (the part that sits proud of the disc when the wheel is off) some wheels fit numerous different models of car and have a larger centre bore (the hole in the middle of the wheel) and need a spigot ring (a spacer to fill the hole in the wheel and make it fit tight on the hub centre)

As the guys say the wheel balance is fine but put the ones with most weights to the rear of the car. and copperslip (a type of grease you can get in halfords) around the raised part of the hub, this means when you take the wheels off next they wont be stuck fast.

Heres hopin they weighted them on the inside for ya and put some decent rubber and valves in there....make sure you torque them up properly!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Well I just got my Copper Slip/Grease. Gotta take my car to an audio shop in bit to get the new Alpine unit fitted. Bit too complicated for me, so I don't wanna mess things up.

Once that is done, I will get these wheels changed. But it's so fricking cold outside today, as I have to go to Argos to buy myself a socket set so I can change the dam wheels. Good set of sockets too.

Oh yeah, photo's are to follow
icon14.gif

Last edited:
  Beetle
if you're gonna paint the drums do them black imo, as for locking nut key i don't have one, cos of no lockin nuts (nobody steals ph2 wheels:clown: )

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Scott-16v! said:
if you're gonna paint the drums do them black imo, as for locking nut key i don't have one, cos of no lockin nuts (nobody steals ph2 wheels:clown: )

Black sounds like a good colour.

But I was thinking about red, like on the Seat Cupra's?

Racing Blue 182
Think it looked better before, it looks liek sum1 stole your clio wheels so you just replace them with the cheapest ones you could fine. sorry

Then agen, how can i talk, i useto have vault chromes

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
racing182 said:
Think it looked better before, it looks liek sum1 stole your clio wheels so you just replace them with the cheapest ones you could fine. sorry

Then agen, how can i talk, i useto have vault chromes

Na no-one nicked my original alloys. They are sitting on the kitchen floor at the mo.

I think that these alloys are pretty smart.

Oh well, at least I am happy with them. That's all that really counts.

Beetle
cutehomoboi said:
Black sounds like a good colour.

But I was thinking about red, like on the Seat Cupra's?
not great to make drums stand out imo, isn't it the calipers that are red on the seat's??

1.6 focus zetec....
please tell me that you put the spigot rings on with these 'cos just before you fitted them it looked as thought you didnt have a clue

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
kiza1986 said:
please tell me that you put the spigot rings on with these 'cos just before you fitted them it looked as thought you didnt have a clue

Ok, I am confused.

I was advised to get some Copper Slip, which I did. Applied it to the areas that needed it - basically where the alloy had contact with the rim on the Clio.

As for the Spigot rings, I am sure Motor-world would have supplied them if needed? When putting the Alloys on the Clio earlier, they fitted onto the hub nicely. So I thought as they fitted straight on (and snug), I thought I wouldn't need Spigot rings.

If I am wrong, please correct me. Also where woud you advise me to get Spigot rings from, and how much will these usally cost?

Lots of mixed opinion's over here

Last edited:
could do with lower profile tyres look a bit balloon like but sadly thats how places keep the cost of wheel sets down by fitting high profile tyres. If they fit snug you dont need spigot rings.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Loony said:
could do with lower profile tyres look a bit balloon like but sadly thats how places keep the cost of wheel sets down by fitting high profile tyres. If they fit snug you dont need spigot rings.

I am going to call Motor-world later, just to double check if I needed Spigot Rings. But basically when I was fitting the Alloys, they fitted str8 on the Hub, no wobble, no nothing. So I didn't have to hold the wheel in place while putting th 3 bolt/nuts + locking nut (which can be tricky, if your fitting on your own).

Like I said, as they fitted str8 on and snuggly. I thought I wouldn't need these Siigot Rings.

Sorry to those who think I am a a$$, but if I am not sure about some (even if it's simple) then I will ask for advise, just to make sure. My Dad is a mechanic, but is back in Wales with Mum. So I am not going to travel 60+ miles, if I can do the job myself.

Get what I mean?

Fair comment. People look an arse when they assume they know best or dont listen to advice not by asking and wanting to be sure they arent f**king things up. Sounds like you are ok if they are a snug fit as you say. Some wheels dont use them it all depends on the centre bore of the particular wheel and the hub size of the car.It's also possible they may already be fitted into the wheels when you were supplied them.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Well done mate, as long as you like them...Look std to me, but smart. DON'T get coilovers...Waste of ur money. 60mm springs would do you fine.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
I don't believe it.

I just went down to check my car (re: this thread) and I noticed that some ba$tard has nicked 3 of the new chrome vavle caps off the wheels. They left 1 on the front, drivers wheel. I am going to keep an eye on the other cars in around here, and if I spot any car with the same vavle caps as mine - then there is going to be war!

These wheels have been on my Clio less than 24 hours, and someone has already taken interest. Well I am off to either Halfords or Motor-world to get some locking vavle caps. I am fuming, and the council should at least install CCTV in these car parks - to watch our cars...

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
aww bummer that :( thats why i always just stick to the black plastic ones because no 1 wants to nick them!

personally i think the standard alloys that would have came with your car look better, if your going aftermarket i think you should get 16" instead of 15" alloys, but even at that 16" turinis from the cup would have looked better.

should look ok when its lowered though, id go 60mm but not just springs, get shocks too because if you just go for the springs the shocks wont last long. plus its handy having a dad as a mechanic because he can fit them for you :)

as long as you like them then thats all that matters.

talking of these Spigot Ring things, my 15" dynamique wheels dont fit the car as well as my mums do, i have to hold mine in place to put the bolts on where you can sit hers on and leave it there without touching it, hers came with them standard, mine is an 02 model with the Phase 3 (04>) wheels, is this dangerous or somthing?