ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Alpine HU fitted, but...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Whenever I switch off the ignition the radio resets and doesn't store my settings/track position/anything. Is there a cable I've not connected?

RB 182 FF/ CUP PACKS
You may need an adaptor loom - try Halfrauds or your local motoring shop. It sounds like your permanent and switched live feeds may be slightly different to the Alpine HU.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ditto.

But be careful to cover the ends that are left exposed.

1.6 16v
You need to have a live feed from the battery, With alpine headunits they sould come connected with it, you just need to fix it to the battery though the bulkhead.

Steve

audi a6 3.0tdi
as said above swap red and yellow round there should be connectors on them so no cutting involved :)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
You need to have a live feed from the battery, With alpine headunits they sould come connected with it, you just need to fix it to the battery though the bulkhead.

Steve
I know thats what threw me off, never had to hard wire a HU to the battery before so I went to see a guy who motor-world recommended and he's been cutting the wires and stuff, I'll probs end up taking it to an audio shop and just get them to sort it, but its worth having a look at what I can do before going away like that.

BMW M135i
Well my 9855R never came with a battery live feed. Although I have heard about some alpine headunits needing one.

Which model hu are you trying to install?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Its a 9812RB. It came with a cable for the battery and an earth but the dude that fitted it cut the ends off and wired them straight to the normal connections. I've never used this guy before so Im not 100% trusting of the installation :(

Arn

2002 1.2 16v Clio
I know people that have just connected it straight to the orginal wire of the car but when i got mine i connected it to the battery. I havnt noticed much of a difference between them to be honest.

But yes to fix your problem of the radio stations, switch the red and yellow cable. if that doesnt work it could mean your ignation cable has died.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Kneel, your having your leg pulled by these so called experts at Motorworld and whoever else.

Bmh.01, Rage182 and Tom, gave you the correct answer.

The Alpine loom has connectors on both the red and yellow wire just for this purpose.

There is No need to go straight to the battery, the permanent live feed on your Clio is sufficiently rated to do the job as it is tapped from the same supply point that feeds the ignition lock switch and is rated at 30 amps.

Come on guys, if you don't know, say so or keep quiet, this guys spending money because of bad advice, even if it was well intended.

Polo + Micra
lol it's all about the current carrying capacity of the conductor

i don't give a f**k if it "can" be connected into the wiring of the ISO that doesn't make it ok

alpine obviously did research to add the need to connect it strait to the battery (the dc-dc converter with the hu has a 20A fuse in it)

but then god BrianR is right and always right:rolleyes:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I don't need to justify myself to you, thank goodness, but as I am prepared to show you the respect you clearly haven't felt able to show me.

The 30 terminal on the Clio is fused at 30A
The cable is 97/0.12 which is rated at 45A as far as the steering lock switch.
The cable to the ISO connector is 44/0.12 which is rated at 30A

The sets maximum output TMP is 240W. which equates to 120W RMS
Maximum current draw at full TMP output is 20A and at RMS output 10A

This is why the manufacturers fuse as fitted is 20A.
That allows for sustained output at RMS, plus 50% headroom for a situation which would never actually be achieved in normal operation.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Polo + Micra
you going to use awg sizes or mm2? not just the make up of the conductor(e.g you just described a flexable conductor)

did you take into account grouping factors??

well looking at the cable going to the iso connector doesn't look like 4mm2 or 12awg but hell what do i know(i've never seen anything bigger than 2.5mm2/14awg)

also 120wRMS = 10A @12v in a 100% efficent amplifer(does not exist)but i guess the one inside the hu is a Class a/b so work to an 60% efficency so you get about 16/17 amps being pulled by the hu at full output

Mk2 172
brian r couldnt be more right. it is absolutely fine to connect an alpine unit to the iso connector. i do this job for a living. the only time you need to connect an alpine to the battery is if it is a 60 watt rated headunit. only one unit in 2007 and 2006 has that rating! just plug the red into the yellow and vise versa and that will solve your problem.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Its a 60wx4 amp but it seems to be working perfectly fine through the ISO, the fitter checked the outputs on the ISO were putting enough power out 1st though. I will be swapping the red and yellow around tomorrow as I finally get a day off of work. Cheers for the help guys

Mk2 172
if its a 60watt alpine unit then it should be connected directly to the battery via a fused feed to minimise voltage drop. any alpine unit that is less than 60 watt is fine to be connected to the iso. hope that helps.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
if its a 60watt alpine unit then it should be connected directly to the battery via a fused feed to minimise voltage drop. any alpine unit that is less than 60 watt is fine to be connected to the iso. hope that helps.

Dan, read the posts. the amp is not drawing 60watts. of dc power. ;)

Polo + Micra
how am i wrong?

i may only be a electrician but i know whats right.

so no i wont as i prefer people to drive round safely:rolleyes: