ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Brakes Options......advice required....

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Hi guys,

I have a 53 (late 2003 registered) 172 Cup (so no silly ABS) on about 86k, and will be needing to be replacing my brakes (Front and Rear), discs and pads in the next month or so, and would like some advice/info on what I will need.

Can I confirm the front discs are 280mm.......and could someone enlighten me to the size of the rears please?

Secondly, does anyone have any reccomendations on brands of discs/pads, general prices and where best to buy them from.......I'n not looking for high performance kit, but will keep my options open. Price isnt an issue but obviously if I can get something a little cheaper (as I dont intend to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds) that would be better!

Is it worth going for Grooved (and possibly also Drilled) or is not worth the extra cost, i.e. will they improve braking a lot, is there a noticeable difference?? Longetivity of pads is not an issue due to grooved etc, but I have noticed in Milton Keynes especially with loads of roundabouts my current ones overheat when driving a little bit brisker than usual...;)...thats down to the pads I think.

I've had a look at K-tec's sets, and there are some available on ebay and various other websites.......so many choices......decisions decisions......

Help..........lol

Cup'd Monaco 172
IMO grooved and drilled is a gimmick. Plain discs with the right pads is fine.

I use EBC yellows and found them fine for road and track. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ferodo equivilent either.

I have K-tec grooved discs fitted by the last owner. Once these pads and discs are done I shall go for standard plain discs, more yellows and braided hoses.

I don't have the money for a 4 pot setup otherwise I would.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
One of the brembo packages (Discs, Ferodo ds2500 pads, braided hoses). Just get standard rears, they don't do much so no point in upgrading. The rear discs can be bought with the bearings ready pressed in, saves a lot of hassle.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I've not got the Setup myself but General Opinion seems to be-

Brembo HC Disks - Front
Ferodo DS2500 Pads - Front
OE Disks - Rear
OE pads - Rear
Stainless Brake Lines
Uprated Brake Fluid

Edit: Beaten to it LOL

I've got:

EBD dimpled and slotted discs and DS2500 pads on the front.
Standard on the rear.
Braided lines all round.

The setup is much better than standard. Probably down to the pads though rather than anything else. The discs look pretty and I thought they might improve my wet braking as my brakes seemed to not work in the wet before. That could just have been down to the old pads being a bit tight due to corrosion though in the end.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Are the sizes correct on the ebay auction?

F= 280mm x 24mm (vented) and R= 238mm x 8mm

Also is there an issue with ABS, i.e. do FF and Cup models have different discs due to this or do the ABS rings just fit (or are not fitted) on to a 'standard' set of discs for either car?

Seems like a good deal tho, not sure on the implications on insurance with drilled and grooved, will have to give them a ring to find out........not really a problem when its only £750 a year anyway......they didnt even sniff when I told them about my 'stainless system'.......*cough* Ktec stealth system *cough*.......which surprised me......this is Admiral btw......

I have noticed my brakes have a small issue with water too mark123........but not too dire......is worth a try me thinks!

The brakes are the same for cup and normal 172. you just don't need the abs rings on the cup. Doesn't matter if they are there though. I think my original ones had abs rings on.

Got my braided lines on ebay, they are Goodridge ones, think they were 46 quid.

Pagid RS4-2 Front Pads (Motorsport World)
Brembo HC Discs (German Swedish French)
Goodridge Hoses (S/S ends) (Motorsport World)

Good quality Dot 4.1 fluid

Leave rears as standard

*Brembo HC and Max are exactly the same minus the grooves
**Dot 4.1 over 5.1 because 5.1 needs changing more often

I've just fitted brembo HC's, mintex 1144, and std oe rear pads. Already had braided hoses and castrol srf on. Initial impressions are very good, time will tell though when there properly bedded in.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I have a 172 cup and use:

Front - Brembo HC, DS2500
Rear - standard

Also have Goodridge braided lines with Castrol Response Super Dot 4 fluid. 5.1 is too extreme for me as it needs to be changed very often due to water absorbtion.

Very good kit (survived 11 laps of the ring quite happily) and much better than standard. Id personally stay away from the tat on ebay unless its good branded stuff tbh :)

330Ci Sport Convertible
I've just fitted brembo HC's, mintex 1144, and std oe rear pads. Already had braided hoses and castrol srf on. Initial impressions are very good, time will tell though when there properly bedded in.

Having the 1144 on mine Saturday, heard good things about them but what do you think,any good?