ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car....Megane 225

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
After owning my second 172 for nearly 18 months I was starting to get a little frustrated each time I drove it. Yes it's fun to drive when "on it" but I found myself getting a little bored of thrashing the hell out of it to make it exciting. So I decided that I fancied something that was a little more comfortable and slighlty quicker.

Out with the Clio...
IMG_20150801_112214~2.jpg

And in steps the Megane...
image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

IMG_20160801_165734.jpg

IMG_20160731_160617.jpg

It popped up for sale on here the other day so had a chat with the seller about it, and decided to drive down to Weston-super-mare on Sunday morning to collect it.

It was exactly as he described and the body work is pretty much mint! I left a very happy bunny!

I drove it home and parked it up on my drive and that's where it will stay for a few weeks now until the insurance on the clio runs out.
I already prefer it over the clio after only driving it for 120 miles. The power is effortless, it sounds good, and its much comfier.
IMG_20160731_160637.jpg

Plans for it are:
Have the back box chopped out
Uprate the engine mounts
Remap
Remove the door stickers
Remove yellow fogs
Stereo upgrade
Keep it clean

Pictures are from the advert so once I get some more pics I'll post them up

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
That's nice and plans look good.

I know exactly what you mean about the Clio as well. I absolutely love mine when I put my foot down round some bends but its hard to drive sensibly. 225 or Focus ST will be my next choice in the not too distant future I reckon.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Looks great, lovely colour. I was pretty close to getting one of these before I bought the 200

Funny to see the interior is so similar to my 2010 car, is it a fairly early Megane?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Looks great, lovely colour. I was pretty close to getting one of these before I bought the 200

Funny to see the interior is so similar to my 2010 car, is it a fairly early Megane?
Think the first ones came out in 2004, and this is 2005 so fairly early, but apart from seats I thought the interiors were pretty much all the same?

Anyone know what the colour is called?

Love the shape of these. Just wondering about the reliability side of things?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Love the shape of these. Just wondering about the reliability side of things?

They have their problems, swivel hubs and window regulators etc but both hubs have been replaced this year and a new drivers side regulator. Hopefully they'll be fine for a while now.

Yes heard the swivel hubs dry up . Sounds like they need regular maintenance to keep then lubed.

I've seen a number of megs just recently with taped up Windows. Mind golfs suffer a similar problem

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Very nice mate, seen that when it was up for sale here and was tempted. Know what you mean about the Clio, they're terrible as a daily.

I know many will say they're fine as a daily but its not for me anymore. Then again, I can't remember what standard suspension feels like on them

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Think the first ones came out in 2004, and this is 2005 so fairly early, but apart from seats I thought the interiors were pretty much all the same?

Anyone know what the colour is called?
Yeah sorry I just meant you could buy a Megane in 04 and a Clio in 2010 and get the same interior. Don't think I've ever paid much attention to it really before

Swift Sport
I have no idea mate to be honest. Probably the first car I've bought before researching them. I know the early ones were supposed to be a bit crap, but I don't know what the revisions were?

"Those changes are enough to dramatically alter the way the car drives, and certainly make it more appealing to the intended market. Spring rates are up 25 per cent at the front and a colossal 77 per cent at the rear. Revised dampers take advantage of the added stiffness, and all the rubber suspension bushes are replaced by firmer polyurethane items, plus the front roll bar has been reduced by 1mm. The electric power steering has been completely reprogrammed and a rubber coupling that served as a steering damper, but actually contributed greatly to the uncommunicative rack, has been replaced by an all-metal union. This is a modification that will feature on all Méganes produced after summer 2005."

A shiny black one.
The 225 trophy had the revisions, and that introduced the 225cup and cup chassis pack.

Last edited:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I was tempted by this myself when i saw the ad last week, but I only bought my clio 2-3 months ago. So in the end i decided to stick with my clio for a little longer.

I'll probably change my mind a few times, but I think a Megane will be my next car. Hope you enjoy it.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Finally got the megane taxed and insured. I don't like to rush things :)
IMG_20160903_172844.jpg
IMG_20160903_172825.jpg
IMG_20160903_172858.jpg
IMG_20160903_172911.jpg

Took it out earlier for a bit so Jackie could get used to it before she takes it to work Monday morning.
It badly needs some decent tyres on as these are quite frankly dangerous in the wet. Can spin the wheels up in 4th if you plant your foot from 50mph

Clio is insured for another week. Still don't know what to do with it. Its not special enough to keep as a "toy" and I just don't see it getting used apart from the odd trackday. But that means keeping it taxed/MOT'd/insured for the once or twice a year it would see a trackday.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Does look good. But the comment about the Clio reminded me of the episode of top gear when the old beetle was in the background as the back up car, Africa episode was it.

lol. :)

A shiny black one.
As well as your plans above, I'd recommend the short shifter and cooksport springs if they're not already done.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
As well as your plans above, I'd recommend the short shifter and cooksport springs if they're not already done.
Short shifter might be a go-er but I really wanted to avoid suspension mods on this one. I want a nice comfy ride lol