ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New "Cheap" Big Brake Alternative (Brembo+300mm discs)

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Wanted to go with a full renault setup at first but it was to much of a hassle. A bracket had to be made for every option i came across (with 300mm discs).
Since a bracket had to be made anyway why not go for a much nicer setup ! ;)

Decided to go for this :

Brembo 300mm x 24mm (scenic) Discs
406 Coupe V6/HDI "Brembo" Calipers

The Brembo's from a 406 have a very good mounting point compared to the 172 mounting points, wich make it a bit easier to create the bracket.
These are also pretty common calipers to come across wich should help with the price

Brackets :

The brackets where made by a mate off mine they wich has been measuring and perfecting the fitment for months till he was fully satisfied (REAL Perfectionist like me :) )
Once the design was complete he ordered a total of 6 sets to be made from 1 piece of aluminium through cnc. They are also galvinised to protect them from the elements.
One alteration has to be made to the caliper mounting holes. You have to zink (>) the holes on the inside in order to fit large/though screws.

I got a set of the brackets but so did another mate of mine wich put them on his track car and he already did a few trackdays (he is realy realy pleased with the quality/performance increase).

Alpha Version
img20130131wa0006.jpg

img20130131wa0007.jpg

End Product
img20130228wa0004.jpg

Bringing the Calipers back to their former Glory :

I have sandblasted the calipers (masked of the cylinders) and completely repainted the calipers in "VHT Real red". Then finished it off with the sticker and a few clear coats over that.
Have to say was realy pleased how this turned out, like new !

From this
img20130404wa0000.jpg

To this
20130413173209.jpg

And mounted on the sunflower :
20130421162210.jpg

20130421162151.jpg

Performance increase is realy noticable and the pedal feels and brakes fine aswell, no need for a bigger master brake cylinder from my point of view.

But here is the most interesting part -> What did it cost me ?!?!

For Trackday users who only care about the performance and not looks :

2x Brembo "Scenic" Discs (Brand-new) : €85
2x Used Peugeot 406 Coupe V6 and/or 2.2 HDI "Brembo" Calipers (with almost new pads) : €170
2x Brackets including all bolts : €95

Comes down to -> €350 ~ 300 Pounds

For the ones that want to fix up the calipers as i did ;)

2x Brembo "Scenic" Discs (Brand-new) : €85
2x Used Peugeot 406 Coupe V6 and/or 2.2 HDI "Brembo" Calipers (with almost new pads) : €170
2x Brackets including all bolts : €95
1 hour sandblasting : €25
2x Brembo Stickers : €5
1x VHT "Real Red" Caliper paint : €14
1x VHT Clear Coat : €14

Comes down to -> €408 ~ 349 Pounds

The key to this "Cheap" upgrade is the bracket €95 is a bargain.
You can also go for the "newer" radial style Brembo (found on 197 etc.) but not only are they allot more expensive to get (used), the bracket itself is also allot more expensive (~249 pounds last time i checked).

My mate has only made a few (6 but 4 left) sets (brackets+bolts) so if anyone else is interested let me know and i will give you the information you need to contact hime (he owns a professional tuning/racing webstore here in the netherlands wich accepts paypal and ships abroad).

Last edited:
  MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Could be that these calipers are the same as the ones on the Fiat Coupe Turbo.
Don't know for sure but maybe someone can confirm.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Could be that these calipers are the same as the ones on the Fiat Coupe Turbo.
Don't know for sure but maybe someone can confirm.

Spacing is different on the fiat coupe one. Wouldn't be possible to mount the same way as the lugs are in the same space the Clio hub lugs are.

Brilliant calipers - a lot of the 106 lads run these including myself back in the day. Excellent setup

The only disadvantage with them was always the offset - having to run quite deep dished wheels

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Sure am.

Funnily enough I'm going to strip them down and brush/sand back and paint this week!

Try to sandblast them that saves ALLOT of hassle and you will be able to remove all the paint. Spray directly to the aluminium :D
I was done within an hour and saved me allot of frustrating sanding down ..... ;)

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Could these be used with standard disks under 15s?

The bracket has been made for 300mm discs. The obious scenario would be that pads would not be in full contact with the discs.
A mate of mine has done a few trackdays with these "street" discs and is realy pleased and satisfied with them.
The brakes did not fade !

Cup In bits
Then you need custom brake hoses on top of that quoted price right? What type of aluminium did you use for the brackets?

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Then you need custom brake hoses on top of that quoted price right? What type of aluminium did you use for the brackets?

Not needed i used the exact same brake lines as i did on the normal calipers ;)
Regarding the question for the type of aluminium, ill ask my mate as he made them.

Smokey any cha a few sets done and nce you could PM me the dimensions for the bracket so i can get some made by a friend? or are you looking at getting some made up? if so let me know as i need some.

Cheers Mate

Cup In bits
Smokey any cha a few sets done and nce you could PM me the dimensions for the bracket so i can get some made by a friend? or are you looking at getting some made up? if so let me know as i need some.

Cheers Mate

FLOL, does anyone read on here. Smokey said he had 6 sets made, 2 have been used and If you want a set let him know. So yeah he does have a set.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
He is going to put them online asap so they will be available to purchase through his webshop ;)
As far as im aware, there should be 4 maybe even 5 sets still available.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He is going to put them online asap so they will be available to purchase through his webshop ;)
As far as im aware, there should be 4 maybe even 5 sets still available.

As it would be so trivial to do now he has the drawings, it might be worth him also making up some brackets for whatever size disk is the biggest that will go under an oz f1 15" rim with a 15mm spacer, as I bet he would sell a lot more of those. (even if its just 280mm)

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
As it would be so trivial to do now he has the drawings, it might be worth him also making up some brackets for whatever size disk is the biggest that will go under an oz f1 15" rim with a 15mm spacer, as I bet he would sell a lot more of those. (even if its just 280mm)

I will ask him and let you know Chip.

Clio 182 FF
Interesting thread is interesting!

Trying to remember how much Noos used to want for those brackets he did for the Megane 225 Brembos with 300mm discs. That was a good bit more IIRC wasn't it?
What are these older 406 Brembos like compared with newer ones on 225/197 etc?

They're good little calipers

They were used on the 406 coupe, the fiat coupe and the evo 5/6
The only issue we used to have with them on the pugs were that they do tend to squeek and the offset of them means you do need quite deep dish alloys

But they stop VERY well - probably better than the wilwoods I run on the Clio

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Really Really tempted by this, however I cant imagine running a 172 widetrack plus 15mm spacers is going to work well on my mk1 LOL