ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Civic Type R

Not really (have you even looked at them to see what comes as standard?), if you spend the AMG to the same as a standard spec R then you're already looking at a good few grand extra. There's not really anything you need on the R, sure there's stuff you can spec, but the spec is already high as standard.
But anyway, this is going offtopic.

Looking forward to see what spec it comes with, I wonder if Honda will introduce a Type-R equiv to rival the Fiesta ST and that size hatch?

The only thing that puts me off buying one is the price and initial depreciation.

I may be biased on my experiences but the EP3 and FN2 are far from warm hatches. Obviously this must be the opinion of someone who hasn't driven one or a Jeremy Clarkson review. I much prefer my FN2 than any of my three Clios as a driver's car.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409197518419/sort/pricedesc/make/volkswagen/model/golf/radius/1500/page/1/usedcars/postcode/tf16fw/quicksearch/true/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new?logcode=p

That's the sort of price I mean,and theres a golf gti for nearly 36k just down from it on autotrader.

Regardless of the price though im glad manafacturers are making fast cars again.

That's a Golf R, it's just mis-advertised, or in a way to make it so it appears in GTI/GTD searches too.

But it's also imo why I think it's priced in that region, it's there to compete around what I would say are "Super Hatches" (Focus ST, Megane, R etc), and you have the cheaper "Hot Hatches" like the Fiesta ST, Clio etc.

Swift Sport
The only thing that puts me off buying one is the price and initial depreciation.

I may be biased on my experiences but the EP3 and FN2 are far from warm hatches. Obviously this must be the opinion of someone who hasn't driven one or a Jeremy Clarkson review. I much prefer my FN2 than any of my three Clios as a driver's car.

I hear what you're saying and partly agree... In reality most sporty cars shortcomings are only brought to light on-track, and even then most drivers don't exploit their cars limitations. If we were all so serious about reaping maxing rewards from driving our cars we'd all buy super expensive tyres and brakes, instead of T1-R's and EBC Greenstuffs. People are definitely swayed by a TV presenters 3 minute verdict of a car that he probably only spent 2 minutes driving, which is pretty narrow-minded tbh.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Ive owned my FN2 for 4 years now and I would call it a warm hatch.I've also had a 172 and a 182 and I agree they are much better made cars than the clio's and the performance is near identical,appart from top end.
I also agree with you i also much prefer my Type R over the clio's to drive aswell.
I am not however going to pretend its a megane with 260 bhp or a 300bhp focus RS.To me it is a warm hatch.

clio 182 trophy
I know it is an old post but i agree with you. The ep3 is def a hot hatch. I loved my mates and the only thing i would change would be steering feel, but apparently it can be sorted for not that much. Mate had a straight pipe and it was awesome. Chavy exhaust, maybe, but at 8500rpm it was ace.
I too am glad that they are giving the new one a good go! Would be awesome if they go over 300bhp and take on the RS. They certainly have the ability.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
It's going to need a bit more than 280ps for people to compare it to other 'mega' hatches like the Golf R, A45, FRS, RS3 etc all with ~300ps or more.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
We're not even getting half of the styling of the concept are we though?

We're getting a flat front bumper, higher ride height, no vents on the rear bumper, different headlights and a smaller spoiler than the fn2 got.

SQ5
We're not even getting half of the styling of the concept are we though?

We're getting a flat front bumper, higher ride height, no vents on the rear bumper, different headlights and a smaller spoiler than the fn2 got.

Your thinking of the under type R spec one that they released pictures of a month a go.

Nothing is confirmed on this yet, but I imagine it'll look similar to concept

clio 182 trophy
Could they get 8000rpm+ out of a turbo 4 pot reliably? If so, what would the power band be like? Would you still get a tidy amount of torque low down and then a surge as vtec kicks in, YO!?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
no reason why not if they spec the correct turbo.

as with everything in engineering there are compromises to be made

clio 182 trophy
no reason why not if they spec the correct turbo.

as with everything in engineering there are compromises to be made
Do you know if they have designed a new engine for this car or is it the existing 2.0vtec with a turbocharger?
Whats your opinion of the sound from the advert? Do you think they have synthd it to help boost interest? Pardon the pun lol

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I'd imagine it would be a new engine. As for the sound, I think it might be made a little more fruity through a couple of minor effects, but even as standard the VTEC engines do have a decent roar when revved! I'm actually excited about this. I could well be interested in buying one.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
it will be a new engine i imagine. its way too inefficient to turbocharge an existing engine when you can optimise a new one.

as for sound it will by synthesised i bet.

the focus sounds epic, but its very quiet so you never hear it, i imagine the civic would be the same

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
IIRC they dumped the fn2 engine because of emissions so im guessing it will be an all new engine.

R26.R & 200T
Saw at junction 13 m1 earlier.

EE174064-BC6F-4AA3-B448-4547AC606208_zpsnubyb6vv.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 44
  Clio 182 FF & M135i
I saw that one, or another, this afternoon on the A421 towards Milton Keynes. Look much better in the flesh.

Swift Sport
I'll reserve my judgement until I see a finished one in the flesh, but it would seem they'll be very Marmite.