ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 172

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
Went to look at a silver 03 plate 172 earlier...usual story didn't think i would buy it before i left, but i just couldn't resist it. Been looking for a while and tbh it was the price compared to the condition that made me say yes. Had decided that 3k was my max budget, so knew i was going to get a totally mint one...but tbh this aint that far off. I little (and i mean little) scuff on the front bumper and some slightly kerbed wheels. Wasn't to bothered about the wheels as the other half is going to be learnign to drive on it, so wheels will get knackered....other than that it was in good condition.
It had 88K on the clock (milage worried me a little) but has been serviced well and had belts done. Full yrs mot (every little helps), was on 3.3k , but got them down to 2.8k which is i'm honest looking around at whats available im pretty chuffed....
So now i have a fun car that i can take to the track, and my gf has a nice little chic supermini to learn to drive in....its all gravy

You were expectying to get a mint mk2 172 for 3k ??:eek:
I'd be expecting a bit of a dog or a high mileage one for that tbh.

- I see that yours is high mileage, hence why it was cheap. I assume it's had it's belts done ?? both cambelt & aux belt ??

Fair play though. Hope you enjoy it :)

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
No I wasn't expecting mint or low millage for 3k im not that stupid....However I think Its in pretty good condition and the I know the millage is on the higher side...but for 2.8k it aint that much of a dog....
The belts have been done. They were done at something like 70ish k when it was 3 yrs old (if that sounds about right)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds about right for the belts - lower of 5 years and 72k so prob done at the same time as a service I presume.

Don't think the mileage is a big issue myself as I have seen a few on here on 100k plus and still taking a hammering.

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
glad to hear a bit of positive feedback about millage. I know there is, like always a risk when buying a car. Higher millage is more of a risk, but I think most will agree this was reflected well in the price...after all the car is nearly 6yrs old...so thats only just over 14.5k a year, so not that far off the annual average. I have a diesel volvo V50 and have put 30kish on it the year i have owned it....
And as I have the volvo, my thinking is that the clio won't be doing any long commutes, so the millage shouldn't rise to quickly.

Clio
glad to hear a bit of positive feedback about millage. I know there is, like always a risk when buying a car. Higher millage is more of a risk, but I think most will agree this was reflected well in the price...after all the car is nearly 6yrs old...so thats only just over 14.5k a year, so not that far off the annual average. I have a diesel volvo V50 and have put 30kish on it the year i have owned it....
And as I have the volvo, my thinking is that the clio won't be doing any long commutes, so the millage shouldn't rise to quickly.

Its swings and roundabout, a car with 80k+ is normally fine, given its got a FSH and is in good condition.
Its how the cars got the millage which counts.

A car thats been ragged around town for 80k, or a car thats been curising on the Motorway for 80k. i know which one id pick!

Well enjoy, many miles left in it yet!

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
you see im not sure how it got the milage, I know which i'd choose, so i hope its spent a lot of its life on the motorway....we will just have to see how it pans out.

Clio 182
Tbh mileage dont really bother me as long as the car has been well looked after etc etc....
Hope you enjoy it anyways matey

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
I think it depends...if the car had the extra 12is k on the clock and was over the 100k mark i think i wouldn't have taken a 2nd look at it - even if it was 300 or 400 quid cheaper.
If it hadn't have had service hist then it would have been a no go for sure...
At the end of the day in an ideal world, if you could throw 4 or 5 k at a clio you would go for a low millage mint example...i only had 3k, so its about getting the best for your money.

It's A Reno
£2.8 is a nice price for an 03 plater.
I'd be happy regardless of the mileage, which is a little high, but not that much.
AFAIK, the clio lump is pretty damn reliable, so I wouldn't be worried about the miles and it sounds like someone loved it.

Have fun.

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
cheers guys...
Will get some pics up when I pick it up..
Can't wait to take it the nurburgring in the summer, should be very very good fun round there.

BMW F21 125d
Sounds like a bargain, but i'd be thinking twice about letting your Mrs learn to drive in it! Its too powerful and will cost a fortune to insure!

Iceburg 172
Mileage should be fine tbh, mines on 88k and its never put a foot wrong in the 5 months ive owned it. Drives just as it should.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Badger: Not necessarily true - my insurance was cheaper with my provisional licence-holding other half on it.

keg

miles=smiles every thing that needs to be doen has. i just got a 52 plate with 73k on for 2.6k had al belts and new veriable cam timing on it

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
I am not too worried about letting her learn to drive on it, I have spoken to people on here who have had other halves learn to drive on the 172 and they managed alright. As long as she doesn't push it, which she won't because shes not stupid it will be ok.
Insurance is not bad...only an extra £265 a year, which when you compare to the cost of buying, running, and insuring another, even if it was a banger, is nothing. Good on any1 who can run and buy a car for £265. Well that was my way of looking at in anyway.
Lets hope I have made the right decision.lol