ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio!! But got a bit of a problem....

1.4 16V & Audi A4
Hey all,

I have just signed up to your forum in the hope one of you guys can help me out, and will probably be on more and more as time goes on!!

I've just bought a '52 Clio Dynamique+ 1.4 16V for my young lad's first car.... I also bought a set of 16" Cup alloys off the good old bay.... and knowing they are a 48.5 offset compared to the 36 offset of the stock 15's I also bought a set of 60.1 Renault specific 10mm spacers and some longer bolts in preparation....

I've already had the 16's refurbed at £200, brand new set of 195/45/16's at £200 and the wheels cost me £150....

So you can imagine how gutted I was when I went to put his new wheels on and discovered that with a 10mm spacer on, there is not enough 60.1 hub left sticking out to get the wheel centred on!?!

So.... if somebody can offer up some advice, whether I need different spacers or what not, a link to where I'd get them or whatever, it would be most appreciated!!

I've already found these.... can anyone confirm this is what I need / will they fit / what they recommend / links to anything cheaper etc ? ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360730246...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1617wt_1172

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270840344...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1321wt_934

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290520352...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3210wt_1172

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170742971...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3708wt_1172

Thanks for taking the time to take a look!! Fingers crossed one of guys has got the answer!!

Many, many thanks!!
eBay
logoEbay_x45.gif
Click here to visit eBay, the world's largest trading community.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio
I cant see the Pictures or links as im in work, but a set of hubcentric spacers should do the trick!
Allthough they should be fine without spacers

Last edited:
  1.4 16V & Audi A4
Need spacers because the 15" wheels that come off are a 36 offset..... the 16" wheels that are to go on are a 48.5 offset.....

Believe me, when I couldn't get them centred with the 10mm spacers I'd bought, I DID try it without spacers..... and they rubbed!! :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm proper confused. You have a 52 reg clio and have purchased 16 inch wheels from a 2.0 Cup. (Of the same age/shape I presume?)

You don't need spacers. Just bolt them on and carry on. I've had 1.2's, 1.4's, 1.6's dynamiques, expressions, all with 16 inch sport wheels and never ever had an issue with rubbing.

Is it lowered??

1.4 16V & Audi A4
Hey,

No, it's not lowered.... and believe me, without spacers.... it's rubbing!! :(

Looking about on other threads on here, believe the 16" Cup alloys can be ph 1 or ph 2 ? And have different offsets? Is that right?

What I'm guessing is I have ph 2 alloys, offset of 48.5, hence the need for spacers?

I just need somebody who's had the same problem to confirm, and let me know what ones thet ended up going with!! ;)

Cheers!!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Stevie, something isn't adding up here.

Original 'Cup' Wheels (Made by Speedline and called Turini (38.5 Offset)) were only available on the Mk2 Phase 2. These wheels should bolt straight onto your Mk2 Ph2 without rubbing.

The Mk2 Phase 3 Trophy (48.5? Offset) had the same wheels, but with a different offset and were originally Anthracite in colour, I wonder if you have some how picked these up?

The use of the word 'Cup' Wheels could also to a newbie refer to Mk2 Ph3 wheels from a 182 with Cup Packs, or even a Mk3.

Have you got the 48.5 offset off the inside of the rim, where it is stamped? Makes me think they might be Trophy Wheels

Stick a picture up of the wheels you have, sounds like you have 182 wheels of some description, most likely Trophy wheels.

Either way, you need a hubcentric spacer, they have a lip on them which replaces the lip on the hub which is now covered up by your spacer.

1.4 16V & Audi A4
Hey,

Now I'm beginning to see the light!! I think what I may have are Trophy wheels from a 172/182?

Saner, I have got the offset from the inside of the rim, yes... here's a pic of the wheels...

Although, they are now a gorgeous satin black with new Maxxis rubber all round!! :D

I can't get a pic up as the servers offshore won't let me on certain sites... photobucket being one of them!! :(

But I think reading above, they are trophy wheels... Turini's are the multispoke speedline ones right?
Well, I don't have them... they are 16" five spokes... which I'm guessing are called trophy??

Thanks again everybody for all your help so far!! ;)

Hey,

Now I'm beginning to see the light!! I think what I may have are Trophy wheels from a 172/182?

Saner, I have got the offset from the inside of the rim, yes... here's a pic of the wheels...

Although, they are now a gorgeous satin black with new Maxxis rubber all round!! :D

I can't get a pic up as the servers offshore won't let me on certain sites... photobucket being one of them!! :(

But I think reading above, they are trophy wheels... Turini's are the multispoke speedline ones right?
Well, I don't have them... they are 16" five spokes... which I'm guessing are called trophy??

Thanks again everybody for all your help so far!! ;)

Trophy/Cup wheels are the Speedline multispokes, theyre both the same wheel apart from offset.

16" 5 spoke ones are just the normal ph2 sport wheels aren't they? There's no trophy 5 spoke wheels

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Right then Stevie,

We might be getting closer, but this is still confusing, which design do you have of the below:

turini1.jpg

null_zps6f82d147.jpg

Burts172002.jpg

m62FvoQU58AHCC0iqTeCmrg.jpg

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Either way there just shouldn't be any scrubbing anywhere. I know Trophy wheels are a different offset to 172 wheels etc but trophy wheels fit 172's, 172 wheels fit non sports. Surely there shouldn't be an issue?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I may be wrong, but i swear I've seen people have problems with 182 wheels on non RS's.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Well, one of the reasons i'm still confused is that 182 wheels have an offset of 45 IIRC, so the only Renault Clio wheel that has a 48.5 offset is the Trophy Turini, but the OP says its five spoke, with is a Mk2 Ph1 wheel!

The inner edge of my 172 wheels rubbed on the rear arch liner a little bit on my 1.2, nothing a stanley blade and a chunk cut out of the arch liner wouldn't sort mind.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Hey!

Looking at the pics you've posted Saner, it's the 5 spokes, 3rd one down!!

Thanks again!! ;)

Woohoo! Progress,

Those are standard Mark 2 Phase 2 Renaultsport Clio 172 Alloy Wheels originally shod with 195/45 R16 tyres. Nothing to do with a 'Cup' in anyway! Offset is 48, as you know.

These should bolt on no problem, has a wider tyre been put on them?

The cheap option is that of JCC above, cut teh arch liner, however some hub centric spacers are the other option as already mentioned.

1.4 16V & Audi A4
Awesome!! Now I KNOW what I've got... thanks for that!!

195/45/16's are the tyres I bought, so no, nothing wider!!

I defo want to go the spacer route, and now we've established exactly what I've got, just need to know which ones to go with!! ;)

Thanks again Saner!!