ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio Cup 197

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
Hey guys, this is my first post so please excuse me if this has already been discussed elsewhere.
I was just wondering if anyone has much info on the new 197 cup, I read an article on the net recently that suggested it could cost over £20k.........
obviously this could be crap and Im hoping it is, but anyone out there with any news or links to sites with info would be a legend!!!!:D

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
that would suggest it would have more equipment, so doubt it. unless the body is all alloy with a carbon fibre roof ;)

The Clio Cup race car is c. £20k

AFAIK there's no word from Renault on a road car, but we all know it's coming.

youownt be able to get it road legal for less than £5000, and then try insuring it! i had the same idea but its ridiculous trying to get it roadworthy.

The ride on a road would also be spine shattering. One trip to the shops and you'd end up in traction with steel pins in your back ;)

oh yeah the biggest factor! have you ever driven a sequential gearbox in a traffic jam let alone on a track!? youd get out and walk to the shops..

182cup & 172 racecar
Roy Munson said:
The Clio Cup race car is c. £20k

AFAIK there's no word from Renault on a road car, but we all know it's coming.
£20500 plus VAT!! thats for the race car

Last edited:
  172 Exclusive... For Sale
R.A said:
oh yeah the biggest factor! have you ever driven a sequential gearbox in a traffic jam let alone on a track!? youd get out and walk to the shops..

Lol, funny man. :)

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
Shows how little I know I thought those track cars were well expensive, you could get a race team up and running for a reasonable amount of money!

You having a laugh?

20k for the car but will cost 5 times that to run for a half decent shot at a race win.

The repair bill will cost at least that over a year alone.

Turbos.
Lol Roy!

I think people are getting confused here, the current 197 Cup isn't a road car, it is for the Clio Cup series that supports the BTCC.

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
There was an article in a Belgian magazine about the new Clio RS turbo. It would be around 250-300 hp and 4WD. The project was NOT denied by Renault. Date +- end 2008. There will also be a Laguna Coupé RS.
Renault will put more money in the development of a complete RS range. In the Netherlands an France there are already Renault Sport dealers. They have only RS models in their showroom

Meg on pistonheads £6995
R.A said:
youownt be able to get it road legal for less than £5000, and then try insuring it! i had the same idea but its ridiculous trying to get it roadworthy.

^^ why 5K?

my Bro used to get MotoX bikes legal for about £500

- lights, speedo, wipers, exhaust & cat, engineers report same as for a KitCar?? £1500?

Turbos.
Jesske said:
There was an article in a Belgian magazine about the new Clio RS turbo. It would be around 250-300 hp and 4WD. The project was NOT denied by Renault. Date +- end 2008.

Based on what though. As far as i know the only 4WD chassis Renault have is on the Kangoo lol.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
but they are going to make a 197 cup for the road, like they did with the original cup and the trophy, then, you weeiners that recon the cup is just a cut down version poor mans car, (strange that they made it with wider wheelbase, and better gearbox) will have wet fish slapped in their faces

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
Money from F1 will be more invested in RS range in future, so 4WD will come up they said

X-172 Cup
Day said:
You having a laugh?

20k for the car but will cost 5 times that to run for a half decent shot at a race win.

The repair bill will cost at least that over a year alone.

need the car + about 40k to 'compete' for a season, oh and don't forget the consumables like fuel/oil/tyres/pads etc...call it 60k for a season and you might get in the top 10 at one of the wet races if you are any good...

182cup & 172 racecar
stokecitypottermouse said:
need the car + about 40k to 'compete' for a season, oh and don't forget the consumables like fuel/oil/tyres/pads etc...call it 60k for a season and you might get in the top 10 at one of the wet races if you are any good...
I'm afraid it would be 65k plus the car,but then the 2nd year would be cheaper.....:S