ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio Cup

Just read an article in EVO mag and they reckon the new Cup soon to be released will do 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, doesnt seem that quick does it.. Maybe theyre not as stripped out as the old ones?

Lee

BMW M2C

The 182 has been tested as low as 6.3 by some mags, but thats to 60 not 62. They are all pretty much the same at the end of the day.

MINI JCW

Agree, 172/172 cup,182.182 cup should all be good for 60 in under 7 secs.

As said before the 172 cup appeared to have a purpose (100kg) lighter the 182 cup is just a poor marketing gimmick and only weighing 20kg less with a lot of the standard 182 kit taken out of it, ill be suprsied if they shift that many

Remapped derv Golf

The reason Renault have left things like ABS and A/C in the 182 Cup is because of feedback from 172 Cup owners isnt it?

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 15 October 2004

The reason Renault have left things like ABS and A/C in the 182 Cup is because of feedback from 172 Cup owners isnt it?
Yeah, they used the totally wrong focus groups. They used the people who bought the cup because it was cheaper so they all wanted "more refinements". If theyd used the cup owners on here as their focus group it would probably have 100% carbon body panels, no back seats as standard, a "go baby go!" button and a "jettison extra weight" button which would kick out all other materials in the car which arent dedicated to speed.

Ta, Andy

LOL everyone is slating the new 182 cup as a cheap marketing gimmick , at least opinion was divided over the merits of the the proper cup!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

renault are expectinalmost half its 182 sales to be cups. they reckon wrong in my opinion. they have gone to near to the 182, i mean, cloth interior trim saving weight over leather/alcantara? ten grams maybe?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

The only thing that would appeal to me about the 182 cup is if its in inferno (as the pics suggest) apart from that, pure marketing gimmick!

Does this mean that theyll now have 182 cup race meets, as that is the original purpose of the cup (homologation model (sp?))

Quote: Originally posted by andy_leitch on 15 October 2004

Yeah, they used the totally wrong focus groups. They used the people who bought the cup because it was cheaper so they all wanted "more refinements". If theyd used the cup owners on here as their focus group it would probably have 100% carbon body panels, no back seats as standard, a "go baby go!" button and a "jettison extra weight" button which would kick out all other materials in the car which arent dedicated to speed.
Ta, Andy
love it

Surely you are missing the point. Whats the use of leather seats if I want to take them out and replace them. The Cup is cheaper and thats the important bit. 182bhp for 13700 !! and thats the list price, itll still be cheaper than a 182. You pay your money and take your choice

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah you lot are forgetting that Joe Public walks into a dealer and pays list price.

When you compare the list price of a Cup with the list price of a normal 182 plus the additional Cup packs it starts to look more attractive as they are saving £1300? To a younger driver thats their first years insurance and they might not give a monkeys about leather as its harder to care for when your mates are vomitting their kebabs over the seats and scagging it etc.

Most people cant be bothered or are not comfortable with buying online from a broker. On top of that they feel really uncomfortable about bartering with a dealer. When I tell people in work that I saved 2k on the price of my car they still say they would rather go to their local dealer and pay list.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I thought the reason behind the 182 Cup not being as focused/stripped/light as the 172 Cup was down to the fact that when they started offering Aircon on the original 172 Cup... almost all sales from then on were with aircon fitted... hence renault deduced that theres no real market again for a "proper" Cup?

A lot of 172 owners (and a few Cup owners) traded their 172s in for the 182.

Hands in the air any Cup owners who will be trading in their 172 Cups for 182 Cups?

I know i for one will not be, not because of price, but because of image and performance, and the love of the original Cup.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 16 October 2004

I agree with above so why call it a cup theyre watering down the brand name imo!
They probably dont care the 1762 has been and gone Cup meant nothing before the 172 Cup made it what it has a repuation as.

The new ones called Team I belive but its bound to be called Cup on here.

Im sure the ABS can be "fixed". Unfortunatly the 172 Cup is the last of the none ABS cars from now on any manurfacturer selling over 400 of a model a year willhave to give it ABS.

I wish the Team 182 had been a true stripped out ligtened car/racer. Lower it say 40mm or even better get the proper Cup racer suspenion fitted none of this just changing the dampers (as they did with the 172 Cup). Alas its not going to happen.

Yaris Hybrid

This issue with ABS, wasnt it the case in magazine tests that the ABS 172s stopped quicker than the Cups despite being heavier?

Not saying that is true, just thought I read it somewhere?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 17 October 2004
This issue with ABS, wasnt it the case in magazine tests that the ABS 172s stopped quicker than the Cups despite being heavier?Not saying that is true, just thought I read it somewhere?

The 172 does 100-0 mph in 3.99 seconds.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

The reason why it will sell is because its cheaper.
(if we are honest thats why the old one sold well)

its not that much heavier over the old cup. (1021 vs 1070kg)

And it has most of the comfort the 182 has.

Its a bargain buy. but i would still have a Full 182 every day.

and the seats in the old cup make me feel sick. No offence to anyone, but mine were first on the hit list. The new cup should have kept the interior IMO cos thats what sells a new car to most people, combined with the performance. Should have lost the ABS Air con etc but kept the interior.

If i bought a 172 cup id definetely put in RS interior (182 not 172) or blue cobra racing seats with harnesses attached to a stainless rear strut brace :D. I cant stand the seats either. Theyre the one thing id ever want to change about a cup thats visual of course. Id like to fettle the b*llocks off it performance-wise. 182 cup interior is alright. Dynamique is well better interior than the original cup interior.

Ta, Andy