ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio Trophy

A4 Avant
Hi, first post!

Just purchased a new trophy (No. 486) Picking it up once personal reg has been transfered. (Supposedly last one at Renault dealer network!)

This is my first brand new car and can't wait! Is there anything I should do too it when I first get it? Such as wax it? Are there any precautions?

If I should wax it straight away what should I use? Is there a special coating that can be applied? What do peeps use for general waxing and cleaning?

Thanks, Nige.

106 GTi
Welcome to CS, nice car choice.

There are mixed views as to running it in, Renault say 625 miles, some people say as long as its warm thrash it!

It may be Supagarded by Renault, but they normally charge extra, as for polishing and cleaning go with whatever you prefer, Autoglym, Meguiars has lots of fans on here.

To run it in in the first 25 miles you need (when the engien warm0 to get the revs up and put sme load on the engine foot to the floor in 2nd and 3rds to 60mph then brake then do it again do this a few times will help ensure the pistons make a good seal in the engine. Renault tell you to go easy for a number of reason none of which is for the good of power/mpg etc.
As for polishing etc I'd go spend the money on that treatment the EVO magazine have been raving on about its not cheap but it seems amazing.

Lee

BMW M2C
Nice one, you won't regret your choice.

As far as running in goes I took it really easy on my 172, the 182 I went a little harder and the Trophy I drove fairly normally from new. Although I did a track day with 900 miles on the clock!! Best thing to do is to warm it up and drive it normally, don't thrash it or labour it. If you go too easy on them they never seem to pay you back and often feel tight for a very long time. That's my take on it anyway, having run 3 of them in now.

Welcome to ClioSport.

A4 Avant
Edde, do you really have to do what you say? How far do you suggest revving it when accelerating???

As for cleaning I have used Mer on previous cars and have been happy. I like being able to apply it even when the car is slightly damp!

As for the car, I knew it was the one the one for me the moment I sat in it! Driving it just confirmed matters!

Lee, thats what I planned on doing, just driving normally without any thrashing or labouring for the first couple of hundred miles.

P.s. Thanks for the welcomes!

Nige182 said:
Edde, do you really have to do what you say? How far do you suggest revving it when accelerating???
I'd say 6.5k at least 5k though.
Personally I'd chnage the engine oil at about 1k and then ever 6k ie once between ever service as it does make a difference. I'd also chnage the gearbox oil for Millers or Purple blue after a few K if you intend to keep it or want the best.

You don't have to do it this way though. However many cars seem to be muich quicker if there driven hard from new. The idea of high loads when the engine bedding in is that the piston rings will push out against the bores as hard as they can under highish revs this will mean they make a better seal so less of the increased pressure created under combustion goes past the rings into the oil hence making the oil stay cleaner increase the mpg as pressure ie power Isn't being lost going past the piston rings.

A4 Avant
Lee, your car looks immaculate in those photos! Can you use the zymol wax for the first wax and for general use after?

Edde, should I accelerate using full or part throttle?

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
Took me hours to do that. That was a full wash, then preparation with HD cleanse followed by waxing. You can wax it as often as you like, it just adds layers to it. Zymol isn't cheap though, and I reckon there are plenty of other waxes, or wax/sealant combos that would give the same sort of finish. I could do with using a sealant next time I do mine so it lasts a bit longer, I hate waxing.

The garage washed it today, god forbid, but did a good job.

I got the wax from www.vertar.com I got the Titanium starter kit. Used it on my 182 first. http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/RSClio182/01.08.04/index.html

Nige182 said:
Edde, should I accelerate using full or part throttle?
Full throttle. I' go for say 2k to 7k personally but so long as you've been at full throttle around where max torque is made that just as good.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
First time the guy from renault took me out in the 172 he told me you should drive it from new like your always gonna drive it , if you drive it like an oap its gonna always be tight and drive like that . Once its warmed up give it hell !

MrBillyUK !

Mondeo STTDCI
Thrash as long as its warm. Only way to loosen it up.

Get it straight home and wash and wax it. Wax the wheels twice.

Clio 200
Just done 1200 miles in my trophy, i drove it kinda below 5000rpm till about 300 miles, then now and again took it to the red line, going very sweet at the moment :D

A4 Avant
Thanks for all the advice! Much appreciated!

The car was bought from Walker Renault in Stourbridge. (It's still there as my plate still hasn't been transferred!) Annoying as the more I read the more I want to drive it again!

Looks like I'll be driving it moderatly hard for the first couple of hundred miles then once warmed up!

Think I'll be spending the first weekend cleaning! ha!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Xymol all the way! General rule of thumb is 1k miles run in. After 500miles boot it comes out of corners and short shift in all gears!

Clio 200
Feel free to clean mine too :D

4.jpg

A4 Avant
Lee, I lived in stourbridge (collis street) about two years ago! Then Halesowen, now living in Bournville. Where about you based?

Just been reading about some of the wax's, do I need a product to clean the dirt off the car before applying a wax? Do you just wash the car in between wax's? How often should wax be applied? Like I said only ever used Mer before!

Hyby, it looks so much better clean!;)

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm from Cannock, just up the M6 from you, but work in the centre of Brum.

I'm not big into my waxing like some, but you need to give the car a good wash, then use a product to strip any old wax and residue from the paintwork, even a new car has some, then you apply the wax.

I'm slack so only do mine a few times a year, but it is garaged all day and overnight so it's not out in all weathers.

106 GTi
Nige182 said:
Just been reading about some of the wax's, do I need a product to clean the dirt off the car before applying a wax? Do you just wash the car in between wax's? How often should wax be applied? Like I said only ever used Mer before!

To get the best results from any product you need to wash, paint clean and polish the paint first. The wax will seal in the finish and protect, but the gloss and shine mostly come from the prep work.

If using a wax you should look at re applying every 30 -60 days. For longer lasting protection look into a paint sealant.

To maintain in between coats of wax just wash with a decent car shampoo, to top up the just waxed look, maybe look into quick detail sprays.

A4 Avant
Superfastdan, not No. 500, just last clio to be sold! Mine is 486!

Lee, where in town you work? I work in Digbeth!

As far as cleaning goes then:

Clean dirt and old wax off using a cleaning product.
Polish the car.
Apply wax.

Then wash occasionally to keep it clean.

Lee

BMW M2C
500 was a competition prize from Autocar, not sure if the winner has been announced yet.

I'm in Tricorn house up on 5 Ways island.

I'm surprised you've not seen my car over the last two days, it's been down at Renault Birmingham in Digbeth. The service guys have put plenty of miles on it. lol

A4 Avant
That is crazy! My office is a 5 min walk from that Renault dealer! I drive past every day! Ha! What was the car back in for?

My partner used too work at five ways, in the building above Tescos! You don't park the Trophy round there do you???!

Lee

BMW M2C
Engine temperature sensor fault and an oil and filter change. I've had my last two cars from there.

Yeah, in a secured car park of course. No way it's going on the road.

A4 Avant
Did you purchase from there? The sales guy was too pushy for my liking! Wanted me too buy a second hand 182 they had in stock and wouldn't search other dealers for any brand new cars!

Lee

BMW M2C
Yeah, I did. I had a 182 from there in 2004, the sales guy was pretty good, Richard Goodhead. Then I got the Trophy from there last year, the sales guy was useless, he didn't even know the car existed, but i wasn't bothered, I knew what I was buying and he was just a means to an end.

A4 Avant
Jay, that is very tidy!! What wax and polish do ya use? Don't think I've seen your car around stourbridge!