ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New engine put in but car won't start

Renault Clio 1.2
i have a 1.2 (51) 2002 plate Clio, It did have 125,000 on the clock which didn't bother me but a friends Clio was written off from the back but a perfectly good engine with 67,000 was not damaged at all, same year car, i bought the engine, had it all checked out, another Nate cleaned all the internal parts of the engine checked it all out, seemed all good!

the engine has now been changed over but won't start, it turns over lovely, but then the immobiliser button goes solid red and it cuts out, sometimes it starts briefly for a split second, then it just goes dead again? the immobilser flashes as normal until you try to fire it up once it starts to fire up, it goes solid red then cuts the engine off? any help or tips or things to try out would be appreciated, cheers,
Chris. :)

Renault Clio 1.2
If you don't have it then its going to be a massive headache and plenty of ££££
I havnt got any hex tools to take the ecu off from the old one, that's the one for the ecu isn't it the hex screwdriver, just been outside to the old engine, it's been outside and has got wet :confused: It was covered up but not as great as I thought, poor connection points have been swimming in rain water for God knows how long 😊 need to get that off swap and dry it out

You should be able to get the Ecu off the old engine with a flat head screwdriver just fine, but you wont get near the one that's on your new engine as it's tight with the correct tools.

Am I right in thinking that you've got the old Ecu off the old engine so it's ready to go on the new one?

Renault Clio 1.2
You should be able to get the Ecu off the old engine with a flat head screwdriver just fine, but you wont get near the one that's on your new engine as it's tight with the correct tools.

Am I right in thinking that you've got the old Ecu off the old engine so it's ready to go on the new one?

Nope :weary: it's still on the engine in the car, can I get to it without lifting the engine out again? it's facing towards the car isn't it?

Circled on the image below, have you got the ECU off the engine that has 1250000 on?

1000x1000.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2
No problem mate let us know how you get on :smile:
so got the car sorted! just swapped ecu over, been driving again for a week, on my way home tonight, I noticed the car was pulling and juddering when I change gear and accelerate.

exhaust is crackling and popping, got a flat spot when you Rev the car, aair is escaping from somewhere behind the engine I think, like when cover up the end of a Hoover, makes a suction noise for a split second then once engine is around 2000 on the revs, it sits and sound fine, let go of accelerator and it cracks and pops, accelerate again engine makes a whooshing noise, sounds like a shitty dump valve any help