ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New engine

Got my car back today after cambelt snapped and Renault replaced the engine with a new one. Bloke at the workshop advised me to run the engine in for 2500 miles. As i did not buy the car new can someone who did let me know how far they ran the engine in before driving properly again.

Killing me not going over 4000 rpm.

Think therea a lot of debate on this one..

Some 172 drivers advise 1000 miles before you redline it, though I think others have ragged it sraight from new, with no ill effects.

Me - Id take it easy for at least 500.

I think the manual says 625 miles at no more than 3.5k revs. As long as you follow that Im sure youll be just fine (and so will the engine!)

I should think you could run it in at 3-4k rpm for 500-1000 miles on running-in oil (i.e. doesnt contain anti-wear additives) and then it will fly forever after that with some Magnatec 5W-40 in there.