ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Exhaust is just TOO LOUD!

Clio 182 2004 Blue
Hi Guys,

This is my first post so bear with me!

I bought a K-TEC Ultra performance super sport exhaust (no centre section) and ultra performance cat from the friendly people at K-TEC and had it fitted just before christmas.

I should of done a shed load more research in to exhausts, as I find this one just way too loud!

For a while it was fun as I was just doing short trips, but I've been doing longer motorway trips recently and the booming is just too much.

So, the question is, what now?

I'm worried that the sports centre section from K-TEC won't be enough to stop the booming - and at £170 it's quite a risk.
Should I just flog it and start again? Buy a quiter system complete? (I'd really like one with slashed tailpipes too!)

From the the K-tec Website:

Sports: Idle - 62db, 4500rpm - 83db, 6500rpm - 84db
Supersports: Idle - 67db, 4500rpm - 87db, 6500rpm - 91db

Does any one know these figures for the standard system? Just as a comparison?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

Jack

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Do you have a decat? (Decats can cause noise issues if not silenced)

If not, then I would look at seeing if someone can do a silenced section on the exhaust.

Back seats down can allow more sound to come into the interior (noticed it when transporting items previously).

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Hi Jack,

​I've got the 172 equivalent and also first had the straight through without cat, but I've added the centre silencer and find it acceptable with seats etc in, its still fairly loud but no where as bad as it was without it, its all pretty subjective, you could really do with someone that's already got it fitted to give you a ride.

BG 182
Difficult to say over a forum, it would all depend on your perception of loud.

anyone in your area that you can compare noise with?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
If you start again look for an RS192 they arnt much louder than standard

Clio 182 2004 Blue
Thanks for the quick replies guys,

I've got the K-TEC ultra performance cat and my back seats are up. I'm just unsure whether the KTEC centre silencer will drop the sound down enough.

If I were to start from stratch what sort of price would a 5 month old k-tec cat-back system get me?

I like the look of the RS192. The slashed pipes look nice, but its the near standard sound levels that are grabbing my attention!

I don't know any one in my area with a clio sport, I'm down in Falmouth, Cornwall?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Loads with cliosports in your area, not many on on the forum though! I am interested in the Ktec if you do decide to sell!

Megane 250
I'm in Cornwall and have a 182 with Piper cat-back exhaust (Cat still in place) if you want to hear how it sounds?

I had a very similar problem when I first got my clio . it had a sports cat and 2 rear boxes with no middle box.. it seems I went the total wrong way with it .. I got a new middle section with silencer and fitted it which made zero difference.. I then cut open the back boxes and re packed them which made a very slight difference.. finally I got a second hand cat and swapped it for the sports cat and the noise difference was just what I wanted.. for the first drive it felt a lot less responsive but I kept telling myself it was the noise that made if feel quicker before. im finally happy with it now so may be worth just trying a std cat on their for the sake of 60 ish quid..

Personally i think my Identical setup from k-tec is not loud enough :), all personal opinion.
The RS192 is nice, not loud and sounds good, cousin had one on his 182 and suited the car nicely.