ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New, Fully Electric Renault 5

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Which is why imo chargers in car parks or dedicated forecourts aren't the answer. Kerbside chargers would be a much more useful development for cities, cheap ass trickle chargers you can leave on while you're shopping, at work or in your flat. The rush to get it out there means we've ended up with hideous huge things like tesla chargers than can only fit in certain places.

Who's paying for all that tho? Not just the install, but the ongoing maintenance, which on a big network would be pretty mega.

I don't really fancy my council tax going to replacing thousands of cables and connectors that people can't or won't look after when they use each one.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Far simpler to put all the r&d into making electric cars do 4-500 miles a charge and charge up in 10 mins at a “charge station”.
Rather spending a loads of money on fixed infrastructure that will be outdated in 10 years time.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm abit surprised we've not seen the supermarkets take more of an initiative on charging, cos you're usually in the shop for 30-60 mins, perfect time to charge the car. They're big players in the petrol/diesel business and are well placed to do the same for electric.

Maybe they're just waiting for ownership numbers to rise?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Having read loads of comments on charging and watched a good few videos, I’m just not convinced the demand for charging to fill in 5 minutes will ever be what people think it is. We’re taking the current way of doing things (filling up to full at a dedicated location) and trying to shoehorn electric vehicles into that. I see the format actually being lots of small charges during “dead time”. Parked at the super market. Parked at work. Parked at the train station. Given that cables are “everywhere” it seems retarded to make us all specifically drive to set location to charge, when the charging can be brought to us.

Now, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. I’ll repeat, for clarity, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. But it’s just not going to be anywhere near a 1 to 1 replacement for filling up an ICE vehicle.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Having read loads of comments on charging and watched a good few videos, I’m just not convinced the demand for charging to fill in 5 minutes will ever be what people think it is. We’re taking the current way of doing things (filling up to full at a dedicated location) and trying to shoehorn electric vehicles into that. I see the format actually being lots of small charges during “dead time”. Parked at the super market. Parked at work. Parked at the train station. Given that cables are “everywhere” it seems retarded to make us all specifically drive to set location to charge, when the charging can be brought to us.

Now, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. I’ll repeat, for clarity, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. But it’s just not going to be anywhere near a 1 to 1 replacement for filling up an ICE vehicle.

Issue is those cable/networks aren’t up to spec so would need replacing so we’d end up with another open reach situation.

A lot more difficult and costly to do vs focusing your infrastructure in specific spots.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Prototype cars wrapped and heading out for testing.
A behind-the-scenes look at the prototyping process for the future all-electric Renault 5 (8)_...jpg
A behind-the-scenes look at the prototyping process for the future all-electric Renault 5 (6)_...jpg
A behind-the-scenes look at the prototyping process for the future all-electric Renault 5 (5)_...jpg
A behind-the-scenes look at the prototyping process for the future all-electric Renault 5 (2)_...jpg
A behind-the-scenes look at the prototyping process for the future all-electric Renault 5 (1)_...jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks nothing like a Renault 5.
It’s f**king massive.
Why does it need 22 inch wheels??
New cars really can just f**k off now. I can’t think of a new car that I’d actually want to own??

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I like it… but it’ll be about 85k when it comes out with inflation considered..

Then we have the 2025 insurance take into account, £1500.. with a £7000 excess.

Is a little bit large, but obesity is up in Europe and it might even squeeze in a regular fat American.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nothing like a Renault 5.
It’s f**king massive.
Why does it need 22 inch wheels??
New cars really can just f**k off now. I can’t think of a new car that I’d actually want to own??
You can punch me if you ever see me in person but new Peugeots look quite nice.
Had to do a double take when I seen the 5xx estate the other day. Didn't look like a Peugeot at all.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Had to do a double take when I seen the 5xx estate the other day. Didn't look like a Peugeot at all.
508? Love how they look, especially in saloon form. Peugeot's new design language is tons better than it was a few years ago.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I like it… but it’ll be about 85k when it comes out with inflation considered..

Then we have the 2025 insurance take into account, £1500.. with a £7000 excess.

Is a little bit large, but obesity is up in Europe and it might even squeeze in a regular fat American.

What have I missed with the 2025 insurance?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The rozzers round here have one. Looks f**king badass.
EDIT:
1689029151512.jpeg

Unlike this utter abortion. I like how they thought ‘yeah, let’s make a new Renault 5, but not make it small and nippy’

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ever since I found out my mate was half French, which meant his older fit as f**k sister was also half French I have loved all things French and quirky.

Now, 20 years on I found her on Faceache, turns out she's put on the pounds and is now a Lesbian. I wish I had just kept the school boy dream alive and not looked her up.

I think this is how the new Renault 5 will go :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I like Peugeots styling department. They do good things.
The interiors and engines are pony though.

Clio
I just don't get what's happened in the car business!

Ren 5
Polo
Mini
Clio
Saxo
Citoren AX etc ...

They were all cheap affordable cars for the public . Used to come with a years free insurance too !

After my mark 5 golf dies and I finally f my clio off I'll end up on a E bike I think rather than a new car

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I just don't get what's happened in the car business!

Ren 5
Polo
Mini
Clio
Saxo
Citoren AX etc ...

They were all cheap affordable cars for the public . Used to come with a years free insurance too !

After my mark 5 golf dies and I finally f my clio off I'll end up on a E bike I think rather than a new car
The Electric Car Revolution. Deja Vu?
IMG_0794.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Interestingly if you go on from that point 50-60 years, car ownership was common but by no means universal. Then the Government started shutting down all the railway lines, replacing them with busses, and suddenly every b*****d had one.

Another 50-60 years on and two cars per household is perfectly normal.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the back panel off a 182, nice homage! Looking forward to hearing what it's like.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I still kinda like the looks of this, but with new cars, I may as well be giving my opinion on super yachts.
The (badly kept) secret rear doors are annoying, as its not like there isn't an equivalent 5dr somewhere in the range.
Interesting how they've used large wheels to make it seem smaller; absolutely comical that they've had to go to 22s.
10/10 for the Tron-styling on the testers above.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Am I the only one who likes the new R5?
Has anyone bought an R-pass?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I quite like it. It’s being way over-hyped by Renault though. Seems to frequently be media releases, teaser shots etc. Will probably flop as the excitement will have gone and everybody will realise it’s years behind where it should be.

Reactions: seb

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Very tempting to get one in Alien green but how much are these cars?