ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New HDD - How big should the system partition be?

Mk2 Golf GTI
I'm about to install a 750gb WD Scorpio Blue drive into my 2010 13" MBP

Have read a few reviews and this drive seems to produce similar results to some of the 7200rpm drives whilst also being cheaper and having more capacity.

How big do I need the partition for OSx and all the applications I will run? I know this depends on what I have installed but that would be a safe bet and also allow enough space for things like DVD burning and future expansion etc?

It's mainly used for document processing/web browsing etc. Will eventually get an SSD in the optibay slot.

Also, I was planning on doing a clean install and then restoring from time machine. Would this mess things up with all the apps being placed into the larger partition etc?

I should just star from fresh really but can't remember things like the serial codes from Office for Mac etc. Where can i get these from? It's an official purchase BTW

Cheers

Mk2 Golf GTI
Been looking around t'interweb. Not even gonna bother with a partition now.

However, still need to find my product keys for office. Have checked every single email and can't find them for s**t! It was a Digital River Download. Got it on student discount so I'm thinking it may have been sent to my student address which sucks, as I no longer have access to it :(