ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Here - Clio 172 Ph2 Track Car (bit of help needed)

BMW, will be a 197
Evening all

New to the forum and thought I’d put a few pics up of my Clio 172 Ph2 track car…

Bought earlier this year from a decent guy who built it going through illness and never managed to get it on track unfortunately. It started out like this…

IMG_0993.jpeg

And now looks like this - I’ve taken off a few stickers, carbon wrap, moved the number plate etc

IMG_0842.jpeg

Also made a bit of a DIY induction kit with a lightweight battery

IMG_0845.jpeg

First track day last Friday at Cadwell…

IMG_0966.jpeg

Hoping to chat to some other Clio owners as I go along the process of making this a really reliable track weapon!

The first track outing went well enough but 3 days before the alternator went, so I had to change it - I’m an amateur on the spanner’s at best!

I’m not sure if I buzzed the electrics somehow by stupidly connecting the battery back up with the key in the ignition still? However it wouldn’t start afterwards - I disconnected the battery and shuffled a couple of relays about and somehow it started and got me 2 1/2 hours to Cadwell the night before.

On the day of the track day it did 2 sighting laps fine but then went into limp mode on the first open lap (wouldn’t go over 4k). Managed to get a code reader and cleared an O2 sensor fault and it ran all day fine…

This week I took it to & from a tyre garage to get 4 new Michelin PS3’s fitted and it was fine. I’ve gone into the garage tonight and now it won’t start - sounds like it’s not getting fuel again like after the alternator?!

The relays I jiggled around last time which may of made a difference were the 3 little black ones in this pic (above the brown ones)

IMG_0991.jpeg

I feel like I’m looking for a fuel relay issue - are any of these fuel relays?

Any advice? I’m a very amateur mechanic so be kind! I’m determined to sort it without going to a garage if possible though…

Cheers all!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Red immobiliser light on when it wont start? Assume it cranks over and over rather than not cranking.
Can't help with fuel relay, but that big white connector at the bottom of the fuse box is a common culprit for corrosion, worth getting it apart and giving a good clean.

BMW, will be a 197
Thanks @hopgop1 - will check the immobiliser

Yep cranking fine, just not firing - will get the white connector apart and give it a clean…. any tips on how to get it apart? Plastic clips / anything removable plastic are the devil on old cars I find 🙄

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I feel like I’m looking for a fuel relay issue - are any of these fuel relays?
I've got a 2005 182 but the relay board is the same from what I can see, only my relays are all Brown.
Those 3 smaller Black relays are for injectors, cooling fan and starter motor. The two bigger Brown relays are for fuel pump and fans (A/C) and the purple relay is for the fan blower inside the cabin.

Regular trackday enthusiast. Cadwell used to be my go-to as have family down in Branston village, but just stick to my local circuit at Croft these days.

My current car.

Welcome!

IMG_2928.jpeg

BMW, will be a 197
I've got a 2005 182 but the relay board is the same from what I can see, only my relays are all Brown.
Those 3 smaller Black relays are for injectors, cooling fan and starter motor. The two bigger Brown relays are for fuel pump and fans (A/C) and the purple relay is for the fan blower inside the cabin.

Regular trackday enthusiast. Cadwell used to be my go-to as have family down in Branston village, but just stick to my local circuit at Croft these days.

My current car.

Welcome!

View attachment 1715316

Nice looking Clio and thanks for the heads up on the relays!

BMW, will be a 197
So the fun and games continue…

I’ve changed the relays around and this hasn’t worked

I’ve tried just leaving the negative off the battery for a bit to reset the ECU

I haven’t tried the white connector because it looks like a nightmare to access - may have to though…

I have a cheap code reader and it’s come up with the following:

IMG_1005.jpeg

From some quick research this one doesn’t look like it’s anything (could be wrong though)

It’s also come up with this

IMG_1006.jpeg

Again an initial google is coming up with Crank sensor - could this be why it’s turning over but not firing?

Where is the crank sensor on a Ph2 172, does anyone know and how easy is it to change?

Thanks in advance! 😀

BMW, will be a 197
Further update…

IMG_1007.jpeg

Crank sensor located, removed and cleaned and put back - still cranking but not firing 🤬

Worth buying a new one does anyone think? Do these just fail over time I’m guessing?

Cheers

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Those cheap code readers always show those two codes on these. Nothing useful there unfortunately.
If immobiliser light goes out and it will crank over and over, it won’t be immobilised.
I’d be thinking fuel pump, but I’m no expert.

BMW, will be a 197
Those cheap code readers always show those two codes on these. Nothing useful there unfortunately.
If immobiliser light goes out and it will crank over and over, it won’t be immobilised.
I’d be thinking fuel pump, but I’m no expert.

Thanks - I’m starting to think fuel pump myself, more checking tomorrow to see if it’s getting power or not…

For now it’s a Friday eve beer 👍🏻

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If you see rpm move on live data when cranking your tdc sensor is working ok.

Check you have Spark and fuel. Check voltage at fuel pump connector and fuel line into a bottle to check flow.