ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New house, what TV?

Dirty E91
Had an offer accepted on a house, currently got a 32" Samsung but I managed to talk the missus on to letting me get a new TV for the lounge (17' by 16' ish), thinking 40" but should I go Plasma or LCD and what make?

Use it for my PS3 (games and movies) and Sky+ HD.

up to about £1k (maybe a smidge more).

Dirty E91
I'm leaning towards Samsung or Sony(read somewhere about conenctivity with the PS3 , althought I've probably made that up).

I know LCD didn't used to be as good on the bigger sizes when compared to Plasma but has that changed now?

Clio 200 Raider
if i had a grand to spend on a new tv i would defo go for the new samsung led tv's

182 - conneries de c
Highly recommend a Samsung LCD.

I have a 46" LE46A656 and very impressed with it.

Great with BluRay, 360 , Wii etc and Terrestrial TV

Check - www.hdtvtest.co.uk

- www.avforums.com for info and advice.

Got mine from John Lewis for price match & their 5 year warranty last year.

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Plasma are excellent with anything over 32" and i find that the Panasonic sets are amoungst the best.
I still find that with LCD you dont get th esharpness of a Plasma, just my opinion.

You could however wait and go for an OLED, very thin and is the next big thing.

you will be waiting a very long time for a 40" set to hit 1k lol

pio kuro is still the best but its not within budget

182FF with cup packs
Highly recommend a Samsung LCD.

I have a 46" LE46A656 and very impressed with it.

Great with BluRay, 360 , Wii etc and Terrestrial TV

Check - www.hdtvtest.co.uk

- www.avforums.com for info and advice.

Got mine from John Lewis for price match & their 5 year warranty last year.

I can't recommend my Samsung LED TV highly enough.

UE46B8000 - 46 inch, LED technology, 2.9cm thick.

Shed loads of inputs

Will even play DivX/Xvid/MKV off of a memory stick (has 2 USB ports)

Also, Samsung are doing a cash rebate offer this month. £200 cashback if you buy the 46" 8000 series. (£150 for the 7000, £100 for the 6000)
http://www.samsung.com/uk/eco/

Rebate is also the same for the 40" versions, so you can pick up a 40" 8000 Series LED slim TV for just over £1000 (after rebate)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
50" £1k thats pretty good, wonder if the telly is good.

The G10 is a good TV. The G15 and V10 also good but push the price up.

A properly/well setup plasma is a good shout, go to a proper av shop and see some tvs side by side that are setup properly and make your choice.

Different tvs suite different viewing conditions, I went for a plasma as it suited us better.

And generally I've found LCDs to be sharper and more processed with Plasmas being a more softer/natural picture.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
If your on a budget, dont get a cheap samsung. The only good samsungs are top end. I ahve a toshiba and it pisses all over my dads samsung of the same price! LG are good too!

Panasonic is brilliant though!

Dirty E91
Had a look yesterday, impressed with the Samsung LED TVs! Syaing that thought the picture on the Panasonic Plasmas and Sony Bravia LCDs were very good too, all have their plus and minus points, hmm, I thought this would be easy!

The living room is 18' x 10'4" so 40 -42" is ideal?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
How far will you be sitting from the TV? Room could be huge but all depends on how far away you will be sitting from it :)

Also how bright is the room, any windows that'll shine light onto the tv?

Dirty E91
How far will you be sitting from the TV? Room could be huge but all depends on how far away you will be sitting from it :)

Also how bright is the room, any windows that'll shine light onto the tv?

Closest seat will probably be 2.5/3m

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
42 to 50 inch then I reckon, we went for a 42 with similar viewing distances and it's ideal for us but can see how some would want it a little bigger.

6/468 17poo
Ive been looking at TV's too, i like the look of the Sony W series seems to have good connectivity and all positive write ups......

Dirty E91
What about all this DLNA stuff? TV connects to my PS3 via my wireless network to plays movies, etc?

Not sure the missus will go for a 50", 42" is as big as she will go. ;)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
DLNA stuff is alright but don't choose a telly because of it, first priority should be the picture. So all the extra stuff, can always buy extra bits to do the rest :p

Plus you often get better functionality by getting a seperate piece of kit, for instance out telly does the DLNA streaming but it doesn't stream HD, only up to a certain res. But if I buy some kind of media streamer like the WD TV thing I do get full HD streaming.

Dirty E91
I agree, I normally stream to my PS3 for movies anyway, just thought it would be a nice little feature.