ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new insurance laws : im a bit confused what to do...

Inferno 182 Cup
right, my insurance is due for renewal on dec 24th, i will then have 6yrs NCB. BUT i turn 25 on jan 4th, is it really worth waiting until then to renew? is it likely to be much lower? Anyways if i was to do that would i have to notify the DVLA that my car was off road and send my tax back etc. I'm a bit unsure of these new insurance laws that have come into place :S

opinons on my situation very welcome :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not worth the grief. It wont half over night because you're now 25

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
The rules are as follows.

If the car has tax it has to be insured.

If the car has no tax it has to be SORN'd.

Basically, it all comes down to you can't insure a untaxed car. It's kind of all or nothing really.

In your situation, are the benefits really gonna be worth the hassle? I think not for the insurance saving (if at all). Plus you'll have to pay to re tax the car come January when you re insure too. Not worth it, wait until next year to reap the benefits of being 25 on the insurance.

is the law true that a car has to now be insured even if its SORN'd? fred that its the case now, but thats ridiculous if so... clios not insured as its pretty much locked away ffs.

Inferno 182 Cup
i dont think i will do it, i was just contemplating in work earlier. I am lazy and any hassle is too much hassle. thanks peeps :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
is the law true that a car has to now be insured even if its SORN'd? fred that its the case now, but thats ridiculous if so... clios not insured as its pretty much locked away ffs.

Nah not right, if it's SORN'd it doesn't have to be insured. It only has to be insured if it's taxed.

My insurance company confirmed it to me last week when I swapped all mine over.

Why not just renew as normal and then cancel on your birthday as you will still be in your 14 day cooling off period?

BMW 330D
What happens if you want to sell a car with tax but has no insurance as the tax is a good selling point ?

Clio 197
What happens if you want to sell a car with tax but has no insurance as the tax is a good selling point ?

Then you sell it and swap your insurance over after, nothing new here. The confusion is over that unless a car is SORN you will need insurance whether it is on the road or hidden away in a lock up.

As for waiting for your birthday as already said that will be factored into your renewal so save yourself the hassle

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Do some dummy quotes fudging dates to see how much cheaper it is.

If its significant, then personally I'd leave it uninsured for the 10 days with tax, not SORN.

Its not legal, but I cant see it being that much of a problem, and doubt you'd get a fine that quickly, maybe just a letter asking you to insure or SORN.

I'm no expert, and cant say you definitely wont get a fine, but thats what I'd do.

This law is a joke tbh, penalises the honest people like you and me and doesn't stop uninsured drivers like intended because must cars being driven uninsured are insured, just not for the person driving.

BMW 330D
Then you sell it and swap your insurance over after, nothing new here. The confusion is over that unless a car is SORN you will need insurance whether it is on the road or hidden away in a lock up.

What if you already have a new car and your insuring that?

172 cup
ive got a van on my drive thats taxed but not insured, i insure it when my other work van breaks is that against the law?