ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new member.. interested in 182

hi

im after a 182 clio and my friend recommended this site to me.

so.... hit me with it... whats good and bad about them?

i know exactly what i want and i have researched the range well.

I want a 182 with the cup upgrades basically. not sure on which colour to go for though?? either inferno orange or black gold i think at the moment.

any advice?
im test driving an inferno tomorrow

more about my history of car ownership though for those that are interested.....

age 18: had a beautiful mk2 honda crx 1.6 16v and had it fully resprayed in honda milano red. ran like a dream and enjoyed it for 2 years and then sold it to a friend... still running strong today on 170k
th_SunnyDayCRX10.jpg

age 20: bought a vw corrado vr6. much more comfortable than the crx but still quick and agile. spent alot on upgrading the engine but eventually got sick of the little rattles here and there so sony for a nice £2k profit
th_banner2.jpg
th_banner3.jpg

age 21: bought a 2001 audi S3 in nogaro blue. easily the best car i have owned to date. had it remapped to 270bhp and it left most things behind. sadly it met its end a month ago though when some idiot decided that looking both ways before pulling out is dumb and then smash...i hit him in the side at 70mph then spin into the oposite lane hitting an oncoming transit! car was totaled but i walked away!
Before
th_s3.jpg

After
th_DSCF5110.jpg
th_DSCF5111.jpg
th_DSCF5118.jpg

age 22.5: bought a temporary car.. pug 406 hdi exec. nice and comfy but not really anything to write home about. Far too boring to take a picture of :(

cheers

look forward to your advice.

Nathan

Well dont expect the clio to be anywhere near as good as the audi. It will however probably put a nice grin on your face when you are blasting down the country lanes.

I dont own a 182, but a 172 cup, and i love it everytime i get in it.

The build quality isnt the best, but its all part of the charachter of owning the car. You'll probably use your warranty a few times just to sort out little niggly things.

Over all, they go well, they are good fun, and imo look good too.

Cheap to run compared to some sports hot hatches, and cheap to buy.

So far with my 182:

Bad:Random rattles and the price of new tyres
Good: Everything else!!
I'm sure you'll find out lots more by reading the other posts!

I think the worst thing is the depreciation, but if you intend on keeping for a while then thats not really a big problem.

BMW M3
£80 is the cheapest really (costco or internet) for 205/45/16 for Mich PE2. £140 from other garage per corner !!!!

Liking your previous cars mate... really sorry about the S3. Lovely car.

Ive got a non cup 182 and love it to bits but not anywhere near as refined as your audi. Less torque as well but serious contender fpor the track of country lanes IMO

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
If you stick with the tyres that come with the 182 (Michelin PE2's, 205 45 16) you'll pay around £90 a corner, which compared to your S3's 18"s i'm sure you'll be laughing at.

PS- if you do decide on a black gold 182 i'm selling a minter (look in the for cars for sale section)

106 GTi
Welcome to CS. Enjoy.

The 182 is a very feels like hot hatches of the past, I think you will like it but will be a very different drive to the Corrado and Audi.

Both good colour choices, I have to say get Black Gold though ;)

IMG_5484.jpg

im not looking for something that is as good as the audi.... not alot will be... but i want to know if its gonna fall apart when i first drive it.

MINI JCW
If i were you and I could afford it I would get another Audi, however Im a massive fan of the S3!

As for the 182 its as quick as an S3 at road legal speeds (not your old S3, I mean a std one) and it will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it. Obviously it wont be built as good or be as refined as the S3 well but the 182 does come with alot of kit.

ive had my 182 just over a year now and I have had no problems with it, although it does have a small rattle somedays

I picked the 182 over the S3 for financial reason if money were no issue then I would take the S3

Clio 172 mk2
The Renault won't be as well built as the Audi but will be more fun to drive. I owned a 270bhp WRX before my 172 and it's definately more engaging behind the wheel that the Scoob was.

I think the test drive should make your mind up:D

cool.. just a question about the tyres. how long do they tend to last? im looking at a car that is barely a year old... surely they wont need doing yet will they?

Ad

MK2 FRS
The tyres will get upto 20k miles on the front and 30k+ on the rear.

Pick a newish one up for 10-11k which is great value. Isnt as much car as the S3, but then again they are as good as twice the price new.

The 182 is a great drivers car, and not much else has the same drivers enjoyment.

RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup
I have an Inferno 182 cup and it is an excellent car to drive, especially on b - roads. Not as refined as the audio probably was. Regarding tyres the standard michelines that came with the car on the front they lasted just about 7k before they were bald!

Nimbus Clio 197
cjw-182cup said:
I have an Inferno 182 cup and it is an excellent car to drive, especially on b - roads. Not as refined as the audio probably was. Regarding tyres the standard michelines that came with the car on the front they lasted just about 7k before they were bald!

what on earth were you doing with them?! lol
should get more miles than that i would have thought!

Tyres and brakes will depend how there driven you can get thought a set ever 5k if you drive it hard. I'd say more like 12~18k though but long motorway miles will help.
Don't just go on wear on low milage cars they could be the second or third set fitted.