ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Member - Thinking of buying a Clio 1.2 16v

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Hi everyone. I'm knew here as you can probably guess. Reason i've signed up is because i'm very close to buying my first clio. *nods and blinks kindly to cheers and clapping*

*nervously looks into the internet audience to see if they are friendly and/or understand my first post*

So. I thought the best thing to do would be to sign up here and see what sort of advice I can find. First off, any important things besides (probably including too) the obvious when buying a Clio. Any faults, things that break commonly, issues etc. etc.

The car i'm looking at is a very nice 51 plate 1.2 16v Mark 2 Phase 3* with 70,000 miles, no a/c, bonnet lid recall fixed2 , alloys, front fogs, all standard. FSH showing recent cambelt change. decent servicing. Only one negative, a scratch down the driver's door, doesn't go all the way through the paint still red underneath.

£1500 with a new mot from private seller. Is this a good price for it's age? Said she won't lower the price but if I can find some tips from you guys would appreciate it.. Or as originally requested common faults to check on.

179673_10150385415790556_705300555_17012239_2109043_n.jpg

Lastly, what mod's can I do cheaply? I'd love to euro it. Lowering springs & nice set of alloys should do the trick firstly. Recommended dealers online? Googling Clio parts returns millions of results.. sorting through is painful.

I've had a look on some of the trader sections here and some entire sub forums seem to be empty all though before you enter the description mentions lots of threads/replies.

Oh, also, how fast can I expect this car/engine to be? My current car is a 1998 1.3 8v fiesta mk4. Now this had about 59bhp when it was made, and it's a very strong motor that for instance can pull fearcely out of 5th to 4th at 70mph and carry on to 85/90 before back to 5th, then top 105.. Just about. (On track of course.) Now looking around the net it seems obvious that the Clio will be quicker, more valves, newer, but will it be much? Places like http://www.parkers.co.uk/ are usually accurate but sometimes way off.

1.2 16V Dynamique 3d 12.6 s 106 mph 75 bhp

Accuate?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to reading replies. Itching to actually drive a Clio now!

*hopefully i've gotten this right from clioguide.tk
I am literally clueless on this one.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
1.2 16v is dog s**t, ive had 2. I got my mrs a 2002 clio dci, so much better.

Stripped yozza'd cup
so firstly, welcome!

It's a phase 2, not phase 3 :)

I'd say that was a bit much (you can get an RS clio for little more than that....) but I'm not sure tbh.... have a shop around on pistonheads etc, look for similar cars and prices.

With regards to modding, colour coding is a good first step, then lowering and wheels can be pretty cheap.... you can get coilovers for about £170 and drop it on it's arse ;)

If you want something quick, I would definitely go for the 1.4.... it's quite a lot quicker than the 1.2 and won't cost you much more at all.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
btw £1500 is a good price with the history, mileage and 12months ticket.