ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NEW Mk2 Clio championship

More info as and when I get it, but I believe starting 2014 will be a Clio 182 championship run by 750MotorClub. Cars will more than likely fit the "stock hatch" set of regulations, which limits modifications and costs.

542077_10151231108382986_1435239556_n.jpg

From the 750 MC facebook page:

A development series based on the Renault Clio Sport 182, which will run alongside the existing Stock Hatch Championship for 2013 ahead of planned standalone races in 2014. The car will run on control Yokohama AD08 tyres, Gaz suspension and a control ECU. It is expected that cars could be built from as little as £5,000

Jamie, I spoke at length with the organisers today. I would consider it, however the regs stipulate a 6 point bolt in cage which is a bloody joke. I couldn't take them seriously after that.
Also, they are running on the same grid as Stock Hatch A for 2013. They reckon the Clio will be a couple of seconds quicker, but I very much doubt that.

The ECU is a control (sealed) ECU which you buy from the manufacturers, at an additional cost of £800. And at any point the scrutineer can remove it and replace it with another one from their collection.
As far as close racing goes it should be good, but they need to seriously re-consider the roll-cage stipulation.

Jamie, I spoke at length with the organisers today. I would consider it, however the regs stipulate a 6 point bolt in cage which is a bloody joke. I couldn't take them seriously after that.
Also, they are running on the same grid as Stock Hatch A for 2013. They reckon the Clio will be a couple of seconds quicker, but I very much doubt that.

The ECU is a control (sealed) ECU which you buy from the manufacturers, at an additional cost of £800. And at any point the scrutineer can remove it and replace it with another one from their collection.
As far as close racing goes it should be good, but they need to seriously re-consider the roll-cage stipulation.

Yes we had a good chat with them yesterday too Mike I think there are a few other things that I would want to see clarified too. The roll cage stipulation will be like quite other series out there and I guess they will have a deal with safety devices so that will be the reason for that. What kind of lap times do they do in that series? With the gaz dampers and the other rules tyres etc I guess they will do a 57 second lap at best round Brands.

Yeah they will do the same with dampers aswell as the ECU's

I fancy it but would have to start with a new car and I worry there would be a lot of contact.

What is your main worry with the cage Mike?

The problem with allowing weld-in and custom cages is that when one person spends thousands on a custom cage that stiffens the chassis up so much, everyone else will have to to be competitive. There's no evidence to suggest that 6-pt bolt-in cages aren't up to the job.

I fancy it but would have to start with a new car and I worry there would be a lot of contact.

Stock Hatch has dropped it's image of being a high contact championship after a couple of pretty clean years. With close racing you do get contact though, obviously, but it's no longer a demolition derby.

I personally would be happy with the 6 point cage. I look forward to seeing the full regs.

That's good then Alex of course slight rubbing isn't an issue but a hit at high speed would be my worry as its all too easy to be upside down in a tyre wall :(

One of the good things about close racing is you don't get the massive speed differentials in multi-car championships. I think there was one mini pile up last year, but the days of deliberate contact are long gone. The organisers came down very hard on it.

One of the good things about close racing is you don't get the massive speed differentials in multi-car championships. I think there was one mini pile up last year, but the days of deliberate contact are long gone. The organisers came down very hard on it.

Yes the close racing is the big attraction for me and also would be nice to have tighter rules to stop expensive mods to remain competitive. Just a shame I can't use my car as not sure I can justify 2 clios lol

Lionel Richie
and the main problem is you HAVE to use a 182 cup (or cup packed) or trophy, ie the 60mm hubs, daft idea excluding the 172's

ABS is staying currently - daft
16's staying - expensive tyres
GAZ - average (that's me being kind)

its a bit open to cheating too LOL, good idea though!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Possibly (ok probably) too early at present, but any ideas on which circuits this will be at? I don't intend attending every race, but if it was on at Croft, i'd call down to watch.

Clio.
and the main problem is you HAVE to use a 182 cup (or cup packed) or trophy, ie the 60mm hubs, daft idea excluding the 172's

ABS is staying currently - daft
16's staying - expensive tyres
GAZ - average (that's me being kind)

its a bit open to cheating too LOL, good idea though!

I can see the price of body panels shooting up in price soon.....agree with all the above too, also in an above post it seems to revolve around manufactured parts (backhanders basically).
They need to crack down on driving standards too, most of these drivers would probably coming over from stock hatch or saxmax.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Id do it if I could drive the thing there and back. Fark buying a trailer and towing bus.

What would a season cost? £6000?

I'd be interested in something like this, but restricting it to just purely 182's is retarded tbh. Open it up to all mk2's and the grid would be massive!

Would definately be usable to drive to and from the circuits. I use my caged Cup ATM so this would be no different.

A 6 point cage is not up to the job. I appreciate the stance the 750MC are taking with regards stiffness etc. Another thing that I had to point out to Bill was that the cage fitted to the car on the stand was not HANS compatible. I doubt there are any 6 point cages that are compatible.
Fred, I was told the ABS can be removed and a bias valve would be fitted.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Yea, even better if you could use 172&182

There is f**k all difference in them apart from the 172s would be a tad lighter due to parts falling off with them being older. LOL.

ph1 track weapon
Echo what others have said, if it opened up to include the 172 aswell, i'd be in for sure. Been contemplating the Max5 champs but this would allow the car to be roadworthy, a big plus!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
A 6 point cage is not up to the job. I appreciate the stance the 750MC are taking with regards stiffness etc. Another thing that I had to point out to Bill was that the cage fitted to the car on the stand was not HANS compatible. I doubt there are any 6 point cages that are compatible.

If it’s aimedat the cheaper end of motorsport then I can see why a bolt in is appealing. Youwould lose about 30% of the entries if they all had to fit a 1k+ cage + paint.

Can you explain to me how a 6 point bolt in cage isn't suffice for clubman racing? The blue book says its perfectly acceptable. My safety devices cage made a large difference to rigidity to my Cup and its still perfectly safe to race in clubman series with.

Also does the does series require hans devices?

There is no problem with a 6 point cage, but for me, it is no where near enough.
Single door bars? No thank you.

HANS device- will be mandatory in the very near future.
I wont race without mine, or even go on a trackday without it as a passenger or driver.

Having spoken to the organisers at great length yesterday I suspect some of the regs may change.

Lionel Richie

Not what Bill told me and Cookie in the morning LOL!

Bill must have changed his mind through the day.

It would be a good car to build as it would be eligible for a lot of series and championships.